Ovarian Cyst--whoops was not supposed to still have ovaries! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cyst--whoops was not supposed to still have ovaries! Ovarian Cyst--whoops was not supposed to still have ovaries!

Unread 11-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Ovarian Cyst--whoops was not supposed to still have ovaries!

This is my first time posting, I really need some emotional support from women who understand! I had a hysterectomy over 3 yrs ago. I was told at the time that my ovaries were removed also. Imagine my shock when I was riddled with pelvic pain and just found out that I have a cyst on my left ovary! How on earth can something like this happen! I have sent off for my medical records so that I can indeed confirm that I signed to have my ovaries removed. I have been on HRT since the surgery...did I need it? I am so freaked out, I just wanted some support....thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2005, 12:49 PM

OMG Picwood I am SO sorry !!
I had my hyst 6 months ago and I had everything removed but my cervix and I am on HRT.
I was dealing with massive and clusters of ovarian cysts regarding my ovaries, and if I found out that my ovaries were not removed I would be raising hell !!
<Oops! Legal reference removed in accordance with website guidelines.>There is NO excuse for that !!
Plus, you are on HRT for the past 3 years and you still had your ovaries??
How big is the cyst??
Let us know what happens !!!
Again, there is no excuse for what happened !!!!!
Unread 11-17-2005, 01:16 PM

Oh Picwood that's terrible! (((((((hugs))))))))

I am so sorry that this happened to you? What were they thinking? And to keep you on HRT only shows that THEY thought your ovaries were gone too! Oh brother, I would be grinding my teeth all day. <Oops! Legal reference removed in accordance with website guidelines.> Because you might want a lap "look around" procedure to double check what's there and what's not. Or some other tests. And YOU shouldn't have to pay a dime. What on earth did your dr say when they realized that they had been giving you HRT and then saw an ovarian cyst?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2005, 02:02 PM
ovaries

Here is something strange. My grandmother had uterine cancer a couple of yrs. ago. She is 87. They did surgery and she did not need chemo. or anything. Here is the clincher, many moons ago (like 45 yrs. ago) she was supposed to have had a total hyst. Imagine her surprise.
Unread 11-17-2005, 02:14 PM

It's possible that your ovaries were indeed removed but a piece of ovarian tissue was left behind. This is not uncommon, and you can do a search on this website by using the Search feature here and typing the words Ovarian Remnant Syndrome.
Unread 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Hi Picwood!

Boy can I relate to this. I had both ovaries removed at the time (actually one was before) of my hyster - and low and behold a CT scan showed a "NORMAL HEALTHY LEFT OVARY" about 8 months post op. I was having severe pain in my left side, so my doc had ordered this CT. Apparently it was a remnant, from an adhesion, that had developed a large cyst. It truly looked like a normal ovary on the scan. Three doctors thought so. It wasn't until they took it out and biopsied it that they verified what it actually was. So this scary stuff happens. And those cysts form on adhesions without remnants being present, too. And they will also rupture. Luckily it doesn't happen to everyone. To this day, I still have cysts develop and rupture, I am three years post op from my hyst. Had another one two days ago.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
s
Cortney
Unread 11-21-2005, 08:51 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for there messages, I did find out that my surgical report states that BOTH ovaries were removed! I am meeting with my dr today to discuss what to do next. I will keep you posted...at least I am not in pain anymore!! : )
Unread 11-21-2005, 06:17 PM

My friend's sister went for hysterectomy because she has polycystic ovarian disease. She continued to have hair growth all over her body, testosterone levels as highas a man's should be. An u/s revealed that she still had her ovaries. mistakes happen
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:37 PM

Ovarian remnant is more common than they'd tell you, especially in those of us with endo and/or extensive adhesions. Ovarian tissue can regenerate from microscopic levels, and create cysts like before.

If you are dealing with this, a blood test called the FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) may help identify it; so can an MRI. It normally does need to be removed...I can't recommend strongly enough a second opinion with a GYN-oncologist. They have three additional years of surgical training and are best equipped for what could turn out to be a rather complicated surgery.

My doctor told me that endometrial cancer could form from residual endometriosis...I continue to take progesterone to "oppose" the low-dose estrogen I take for this very reason. Yes, I'm sure it's rare...but in fact, it can occur .

Please get this investigated. As (((Catherine))) says, ovarian remnant is something other women have posted about before, and a search with those terms should produce a surprising number of posts!

Audrey
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:15 PM

Hi, I am excited to be at my one year anniv of a Total Hyst. I too had the surprise of a lifetime when I began to have severe pain. Sure enough the ultrasound person said I had a "tumor" since my ovaries were gone. I was rushed to a large nearby hospital for surgery. Luckily a urologist was brought in the had seen Ovarian Remnant sydrome before. He talk my GYN into not doing surgery and treating me with progesterone. It has worked for 8 months now. I have ovarian remnants on both sides with cysts on them, but they have been uneventful or painful when I am on birth control progesterone. Hope this helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register