CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners

Unread 11-24-2008, 06:34 AM
CONTEST: Win a Bed Tray! 2 Winners

My family asks for this year every Thanksgiving.

Sweet Potato Bake
This tasty sweet potato casserole contains butter, vanilla, mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, and pecans.
INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped pecans
PREPARATION:
Beat eggs, granulated sugar, and 3/4 cup butter. Add milk and vanilla. Combine with the mashed sweet potatoes; spoon into a greased 2-quart casserole. Combine brown sugar, flour, 2 tablespoons softened butter, and pecans, mixing until crumbly; sprinkle over sweet potatoes. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Serves 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Sweet Potato Banana Mash

For those eating healthy this is a great one to try. (I got it from Accent Health Recipes). You can do either the Meringue topping or the pecan topping.

Sweet Potato Banana Mash Ingredients
3 cups cooked sweet potatoes (roasted in oven)
1 large banana, ripe
1 cup non-fat evaporated milk
2 tablespoons light maple syrup
2 beaten egg yolks
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Spicy Pecan Topping Ingredients
¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons light maple syrup
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Marshmallow Meringue Topping Ingredients
½ cup marshmallow fluff
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt

Sweet Potato Banana Mash
Preheat oven to 325°F.
In a medium bowl, mash together sweet potato and banana.
Add milk, mixing well.
Add maple syrup, egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, and remaining spices and mix thoroughly.
Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Transfer sweet potato mixture to casserole dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.

Spicy Pecan Topping
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Mix pecans with maple syrup and place on parchment-lined sheet pan.
Bake, turning often, until browned and starting to caramelize, approximately 10-12 minutes.
Cool and chop roughly.
Sprinkle on top of casserole.

Marshmallow Meringue Topping
Place the egg whites in a separate mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
Gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Beat in vanilla and salt.
Gently fold the egg whites into the marshmallow mixture and spread over the top of the pie.
Return the pie to the oven and cook until the meringue is toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Here is a different recipe for green bean casserole.
you will need.
3 cans french cut green beans
1 1/2 cans golden cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup wishishire sauce
Durkee onions
4-5 slices of crunchy bacon
parmesan cheese
In a casserole dish combine green beans, mushroom soup and wishisire sauce, and half can of onions mix well, then top w/ remainder onions, bacon and cheese. Bake at 400 for 35-40 mins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM

This Pumpkin Dessert is so easy it's a SIN!

PUMPKIN - ICE CREAM DESSERT

Graham cracker crust, pressed into 9 x 13 inch pan
1 qt. softened vanilla ice cream
1 sm. can pumpkin
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. each cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg

Mix all ingredients and pour them over graham cracker crust. Place the dessert in the freezer until you are ready to serve the dessert. It is best to make the dessert the day before serving
Unread 11-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Pumpkin Mouse!!

My sister was diagnosed with phenylketonuria (P.K.U.) at birth and has to limit her intake of proteins and carbs (of the bread form) so one year my mom decided to make pumkin mouse instead of pie. Well, it's not only easy to make but also easy to swollow, easy to reuse (can be piped over baked cookies or breads from a pastry cone thingy ) and did I mention cheap?
So here it is:

2 parts pumpkin pie mix
1 parts cool whip (this holds better than redi whip which might fall flat though i guess you could try)

Just fold into each other and voila!!
I know it seems generic but really it is sooo versatile.

oh boy I really hope I win that bedtray...
Unread 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM

My favorite Thanksgiving food is my mom's cornbread dressing. I don't cook so my recipe is call mom and order up a pot.

Have a great holiday,

Brandy
Unread 11-24-2008, 08:32 PM

She probably means Vanilla Wafers?

O.K. Here's a real simple one for dinner rolls.

1. Go to the store and buy a few(depending on # of guests) packages of dinner rolls from the bakery dept.

2. After turkey is done and oven is still warm put the rolls in.

3. While rolls are warming; find a nice basket and some festive cloth napkins to line and cover the rolls.

4. When you are ready to sit at the table, put the rolls in the nicely lined basket and serve with slightly softened butter.

5. And MOST IMPORTANT.... hide all evidence that the rolls came from your local market!!!

Happy Turkey Day!!!
Unread 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Ah, I see, to the Vanilla Wafers. Never bought them, so that was something new to me.

Now, as for rolls...these are GREAT! And I am not competing for the prize, just want to share a fun recipe....I LOVE cooking and wine...soooo........

For this recipe, I use fresh pumpkin, as I love the texture.

Pumpkin Rolls

1 (1/4-ounce package), (about 2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk, heated to lukewarm
7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 large whole egg, beaten lightly
2 cups fresh pumpkin purée or a 16-ounce can pumpkin purée
An egg wash made by beating 1 large egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water

To make pumpkin puree, bake a pumpkin at 350 degrees for one hour or until soft. Scoop out the seed and thready portions and then scoop pulp into a bowl. Whisk with a fork until smooth.

In a small bowl proof the yeast with 1 teaspoon of the sugar in the milk for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. In a large bowl combine well 7 cups of the flour, the nutmeg, the salt, and the remaining sugar and blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the whole egg, the pumpkin purée, and the yeast mixture and stir the dough until it is combined well.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it, incorporating as much of the remaining 1 cup flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking, for 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a ball, transfer it to a well-buttered large bowl, and turn it to coat it with the butter. Let the dough rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it is double in bulk.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, divide it into 14 pieces, and form each piece into a ball. Fit the balls into a buttered 10-inch springform pan and let them rise, covered with a kitchen towel, in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until they are almost double in bulk. Brush the rolls with the egg wash and bake them in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until they are golden brown.

Let the rolls cool slightly in the pan, remove the side of the pan, and serve the rolls warm.

The rolls may be made 1 week in advance and kept wrapped well and frozen. Reheat the rolls, wrapped in foil, in a preheated 350°F. oven for 25 minutes, or until they are heated through.

Makes 14 rolls
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Contest: Win a Bed Tray

I am scheduled for a hyst on December 10. I really, really hope someone makes this for me while I am recovering. (They could serve it on a bed tray...) It is a great side dish that goes with anything. I always double the recipe.

Corn Casserole

1 16 oz can kernel corn
2 TB margarine
2 TB flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paparika
dash pepper
dash mustard
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
Bread crumbs

Cook margarine, flour, salt, paparika, pepper and mustard on low until bubbling. Add milk. Bring to boil. Stir for one minute until mixture thickens. Add corn and beaten egg. Stir.

Pour mixture in ungreased dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Bake on 350 for 30-35 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Enjoy.
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM

My stuffing recipe
5 loves cheap bread tear little hole in each bag 24 hrs before use
8 celery stalks
onion
2 eggs
poultry seasoning
sage
1 stick of butter
turkey neck
exlarge foil baking pan
In stock pot boil turkey neck and stick of butter for around 5 hours or more, adding water when nessesary.
While broth is boiling break up bread in small pieces, cut up onion and celery and add to baking pan,when broth is finished add 2 eggs and a heaping table spoon of poultry seasoning and sagepour about half the broth over bread crumb mixture, stir, keep adding broth to desired moistness, when finished stuff half in turkey and baked the other half for about 2 hrs in oven, same temp as turkey
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register