Oh No! What did I do?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh No! What did I do?? Oh No! What did I do??

Unread 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh No! What did I do??

I had my pre-op on Wednesday and disclosed ALL my prescription and non-rx supplements.

Just ONE day prior to that...I rec'd the list of meds I should stop taking 2 weeks prior to surgery...well at that point it was only 8 days before surgery.

I had been taking digestive enzymes after reading about them in an Endo book. I told the pre-op nurse this. After reading thoroughly my list of things/herbs not to take....i see bromelain. It looks familiar, I look on my enzyme supplement bottle and sure enough it says BROMELAIN!

Oh NO!!!

The last time I took this supplement was yesterday (FRIDAY). That's 5 days out from surgery.

I also took my multi-daily yesterday (which has vitamin E in it!!! Holy ####), Took a Vitamin C yesterday because I think the kids are getting colds and my magnesium supplement.

All things that I told them at pre-op, but what if it's too late with this digestive enzyme supplement...only stopping 5 days before???!!!
I'm going to call pre-op first thing Monday, but what if they have to reschedule?

I know it'd be for my safety, but my god, I am a nervous wreck now....I don't know if my spirit can take much more.

I also read something about no green tea??? I've been drinking it every night

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Re: Oh No! What did I do??

I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest reason they have you stop taking supplements is because they haven't been adequately studied. So long as you haveint had Ibprophen. I would call the doc and let them know. That way they at least will know when you are in surgery. ;-)
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:39 PM

I'm going to let them know *everything*
I'm nervous enough as it is.

Do you guys think I'm overreacting? Pre op wigging??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofbloo View Post
I'm going to let them know *everything*
I'm nervous enough as it is.

Do you guys think I'm overreacting? Pre op wigging??
Well, to be honest... maybe a little pre-op wigging is going on at your house. But in a good way.

Relax. stop taking any supplements, or stuff they don't know you're taking and RELAX. It will all be fine and they probably won't need to reschedule. It's still a good idea to call and check with them, just in case.
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM

I was told by preop. to take my pills..which I haven't except for heart meds. and my kiddy gummy vitamin with iron. My doc told me to stop talking iby's and aspirin and suppllements. Good luck to you
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM

(((eyesofbloo)))

Things like this always seem to happen on the weekend, don't they?!

If surgery needs to be changed for your safety because of the supplements you have already taken, nothing you do this weekend will affect that. So go ahead and take a deep breath! I can understand your panic but since you can't change anything at this point, go ahead and relax!

Calling your doctor Monday morning is the right thing to do. Your doctor can then let you know if it is going to be a problem and/or what can be done to correct the situation.

The reason they have you stop taking several of the things you mentioned is the same reason they have you stop taking ibuprofen products. They can all cause blood thinning/clotting issues.

As far as the green tea, I believe the issue can be the amount of Vitamin K in the tea--again, it can cause a possible blood clotting issue--but it is my understanding that moderate amounts of the tea don't have enough of the Vitamin K to be a concern for the general population. But to be safe, stop drinking it until you speak to your own doctor.

I do wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery. I hope you can put aside your worries and fears and enjoy the weekend with your family!

Unread 04-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Do I call my surgeon's office Monday a.m. (I know for a fact that he's not even in his office on Mondays)

or should I call the pre-admission testing office at the hospital, where I met with the nurses and got my bloodwork done....

or should I just bypass and call anesthesiologists office?

Thank you for all of your kind, reassuring words, but this is adding a whole other level of anxiety to these pre-op days and I wish I could relax and enjoy this wknd, but I can't.

I know there is absolutely nothing I can do about this on a Saturday night, but I can't help be so nervous and absolutely furious w/ myself for not being more careful.

Unread 04-24-2010, 06:35 PM

You know what I would do? Call all three! But that is just me! If I am trying to cover my basis, I cover them all and then some!

If you call your doctor's office, they might be able to answer the question, put you in touch with the doctor, or direct you to whomever can answer your question.

If that doesn't work, then you could try pre-admission. Next, check with the anesthesiologist, though they are often the hardest to check with. Anesthesiologists are often not assigned to a specific surgical case until right before surgery--either the day before or day of! I have even had the anesthesiologist changed within hours of my surgery!

in there!
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM

I may have single-handedly screwed this up. Why wasn't I more careful?

I guess I'll see Monday.
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Most of things they never mentioned to me so they probably aren't crucial, esp now that you've stopped ahead of surgery. I doubt they will cancel, I'd be surprised if they did. But its hard not to worry, I know. Good luck with the answer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register