Has this happened to any of you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has this happened to any of you? Has this happened to any of you?

Unread 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Has this happened to any of you?

Finally had my long awaited pre-op yesterday, that went okay for the most part, except for the less than pleasant nurse jabbing me with the biggest gauge needle she could find to do my pre-op blood work... she said they were "out of the smaller ones".... yes, I'm sure...
Anyway, today I feel like I have hit rock bottom, like the carpet has just been pulled out from under my feet.... lethargic, depressed, tired, crying off and on---more on, throughout the day...
Just wondering if this is the 'depression' after the pre-op blues....
Surgery on Wednesday....
Will be the first time I have ever spent away from my children since they were born...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Re: Has this happened to any of you?

Hi, Ema333! My surgery date is still a ways off....July 23. It sounds like you've got a case of last minute jitters. I think the closer we get the bigger it all looks. Just remember that you will be back home soon and on the other side! You'll probably be reminding me of this when my date gets closer, lol. Hang in there girl!
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM

It's okay Ema. I got the same feelings as you before my surgery. I was so freaked and panicy and running around because I had to take care of absolutely everything before the big day. Once it was over, I hit zen. Everything just doesn't matter like I thought it would, now is the time for *ME*, for me to rest, take it easy and breathe. I still get emotional and worked up over the littlest thing and sometimes I just shrug it off. It's all perfectly natural. Just remember to breathe. Take a few moments to yourself, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Count to three on the intake, three on the release. It will get better. It's just the jitters like Maw said. We're here for you! Keep us posted and know you are so strong you can do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Hi! Good luck w/your upcoming surgery. Mine is on Monday and I had preop today. I'm a total control freak so I want my "life" organized and all contingencies planned for -- which is really hard to do in "real" life! That's where most of my stress comes from too. I try to look at it like a vacation (I know, not a good analogy) --- but I get a break from cooking, cleaning, kid-caring, dog-walking, working, shopping --- I really do have to remind myself to really breathe b/c when I get all caught up in it I realize I'm breathing very shallowly and my chest tightens up. A positive mindset will surely help the outcome...that's what I keep reminding myself. We are strong enough to handle anything that comes our way either pre or post-op!! Take care!
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:48 PM

I felt the same way yesterday after my pre-op appointment. Was completely overwhelmed. But today is better, it was my last day of work... and my surgery is Tuesday. I think work had me more stressed out... all the questions, all the stuff that HAD to be done before my surgery... it became such a focal point for my whole office... I'm glad to just be alone with it all now... feel more in control and definitely ready to get on with the surgery!!!

going to spend the weekend doing a little cleaning so everything is clean and smells good when i get home from the hospital (i live alone). Going to buy some last minute items for hospital and home... going to keep busy... and hope the time flies by............. :-)
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM

Hi emma,
I also had my pre-op yesterday. And Like you I spent the day crying on and off. My surgery will be on Monday and today is my last day of work. Like JillyMac I try to think of it as a long vacation, but we all know that it's not really that. But we have to try to look at it in a positive way. Recovery is faster and better when one has a positive attitude towards life. One thing nice about this site is you get to share your feeling with others and makes you feel that you are not alone. I know we are all strong and we can overcome everything. Goodluck to everyone... Delatoc
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:58 AM

I was panicked the whole first week before my surgery. I had an emotional breakdown 2 days before. Then the day before I just kept reminding myself why I was getting it done and how much better my life was going to be after the healing was complete. Recovery is slow and you will be frustrated with how little you can do in the beginning but it's a nice time to rest and baby yourself. They keep the pain pretty well under control. My periods seriously hurt worse than any pain I had from surgery. You're just going to have to remember not to bend or lift anything for awhile and that when you're tired, you need to sleep. *Hugs* You'll feel so much better when you're on "the other side".
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:08 AM

I keep reading that the post-op pain is less than what people had with periods. That sounds promising.

I also keep trying to imagine being tired and exhausted just from showering or going to the bathroom. I just can't imagine. I'm a very energetic person. I mean was out of bed on a Saturday by 6am.
The thing I am least looking forward to is being limited by lack of energy.
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBee View Post
I keep reading that the post-op pain is less than what people had with periods. That sounds promising.

I also keep trying to imagine being tired and exhausted just from showering or going to the bathroom. I just can't imagine. I'm a very energetic person. I mean was out of bed on a Saturday by 6am.
The thing I am least looking forward to is being limited by lack of energy.
That's been the hardest part for me too. I was working out 4-5 hours a week before surgery and now walking for 30 minutes makes me tired. I can only do it about every other day. At first, I could only walk about 5-10 minutes but that got better every time I walked. The energy does come back slowly. I felt almost normal at 4 weeks, but I still have to have my rest days if I've been particularly active. I've tried to eat healthy and take my vitamins and make myself walk for a mile and a half every other day. At 6 weeks post op, I'll be able to walk on the treadmill and ride a bike. Right now, I can go to the grocery store with help (for the lifting), make dinner, and do laundry. I have to accept that I will probably not be at the level I was for several months, but I will not be having the crippling periods that made me sick and sapped my energy. In the long run, what's a couple of months of having to take it easy?
Unread 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Nice to read everyone's posts, and know that I am not alone in these sentiments. I know the fact that I got what will be my LAST period yesterday, undoubtedly added to my emotional state.
It's difficult to realize that although my uterus will be gone and the surgery involved to have this occur, that I will still have cycles... hopefully my PMS symptoms will not be as bad, but seeing that I will still have my ovaries, I know I must be realistic.
Now I must just sit tight and hold on for this last 'ride' of hemoraging level bleeding, and wait for Wednesday. 5:30 a.m. check in.... oh boy, oh boy...
Sending good thoughts to you all...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register