Surgery Cancelled while on Table - HELP - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Cancelled while on Table - HELP Surgery Cancelled while on Table - HELP

Unread 08-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Surgery Cancelled while on Table - HELP

Hi Tami,

I am so sorry to hear of your fathers' passing, I feel for you 'cause I lost my Dad 2 yrs. ago, but I know he's always looking over my shoulder. Our favorite song came on the radio just the other day and at the end I said 'thanks ,dad, I needed that'.

Also, your thread caught my eye with 'three times a charm' because I'm headed down the same path, too. I was scheduled for 4/19/04 TAH/BSO, my mind was focused and psyched-let's go. I woke up -NO PAIN, something's wrong! My throat was bleeding and swollen, cancelled. Had to see ENT, his recommendations went to Gyn and let's go again. 7/20/04 you got it, repeat of first time. After the first time, I cried for 2 days, the second time I was sick for 10days without surgery!! Now I'm going for the third time with an ENT doing the intibation with anthesia, and I'm scared to death. I'm praying that the third time's a charm, and this will be my 13th surgery in my life. I'm scheduled for 9/21/04 right now. I will keep you in my prayers, and it'll be over before you know it.

I always keep a positive attitude about my surgeries and I heal fast, so keep your chin up and ask your dad to send you a hug!

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM

Oh ((((Tami))))) I'm so sorry you're going though all of this I can only imagine how scary the whole experience must have been and do agree that your doctor could have been a little <sic> more tactful

On the bright side, it's a godsend that he learned about your taking Aspirin before putting you under: as he mentionned, the circumstances of doing this surgery without his knowing could have been dire... and he probably was soooo shocked that he was a little more abrupt than he would normally have been. I agree that, from now on, you'll need to deal with him directly.

Regarding how a TVH is performed, I can tell you that doctors have been those, without laparoscopic assistance, for ages: My MIL, now 74, had one when she 29 or 39 (depends on how she feels the day she's telling the story!!!). I had a TVH (no lap assistance) in 2000 to remove a very large fibroid. Here's a link to a web-site that explains the various hyst procedures (****Warning: very graphic****) PelvicFloor.com

As far as recovery goes, here's what I've found out about TVH recovery v/s TAH recovery: initially, with my TVH, I have virtually no pain. Without the incision, it was hard to even remember that I'd just had major surgery. However, around the third week post-op, when the stitches are disolving in an earnest and your body is weaned off all the meds, I started really "feeling" my surgery. From then on, the recovery was about the same as for my sisters who'd had a TAH around the same time I did.

Furthermore, here's a link to our Resources Database on Endo and Adeno: Endo/Adeno Resources

Sending lots of s your way. Hey.. and you know what they say: the third time's the charm
Unread 08-05-2004, 08:37 PM

HI Tammy,
I am SO sorry you have to go through all of this.
I have to agree with all the other ladies, everything for
a reason, but I know that seems harsh at the time its
happening.
The dr didn't handle it right but I agree that he was on
top of things not to operate.
Another thing I wanted to share, I lost my dad one month
prior to my surgery.
He lived with us under home hospice and it was devestating
even though we knew it was coming.
I am so glad you are on some anxiety meds already. I was
not and became depressed because of staying home and
what else did I have to think about.
So you are going through the grieving process as you are
having surgery.
Be kind to yourself, and I agree with whoever before me said
that our loved ones are with us.
THats the only thing that got me in the operating room and
through the surgery.
Best of luck to you, and I will pray for you.
Let us know when your out.

Terri,
I will pray that all goes well with you as well, and this
was my thirteenth surgery as well.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Robin
TAH kept one ovary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 08:01 AM

I couldn't help but notice the nice post from Dany with wonderful words of encouragement. However, I did note that in her experience that her opinion of recovery 3 weeks post-op TVH began to parallel that of a TAH.

Obviously, I cannot compare two hysts as it is impossible. However, I must respectfully express my opinion because I have had both major laparoscopic abdominal surgery and full abdominal incision and I can tell you that an abdominal incision is MUCH different. Muscles are retracted, bowels are moved, and a lot of tissue must be sliced for TAH. The actual work inside is the same as TVH, except for the way the vaginal cuff is secured. The tenderness and heat in the belly is much more pronounced also with an abdominal cut. I can feel the internal work from my surgery and can feel twinges at the top of my vagina where the cuff is, but the incision produces most of the discomfort and it can be quite a long time before the belly sensations return, if at all in some places. Due to the drastically weakened abdominal muscles, it also makes us more susceptible to hernia and therefore, the recovery MUCH different. Plenty of backaches due to compensation for the weakened muscles also.

The emotional aspect of this surgery for both procedures is the same and emotions run high, unfortunately a stark reality of any major surgery, but especially for hysterectomy.

Thank you for posting your experiences and please don't take my words as an offensive gesture in any way. I thought it was important to see a differing opinion from someone who has had several surgeries, and that the differences are quite notable.

Respectfully and with hugs,

Jackie
Unread 08-06-2004, 10:08 PM

I agree that I can't compare the two surgeries: I've never even had an abdominal incision that I could compare the TVH to. As for the pain, there is simply too many variables involved to even start comparing: we all have different pain thresholds, are on different pain management systems and have different tolerance to pain. What I was referring to was the actual recovery portion. Let me try and explain:

Until the third week post-op, I only had the discomfort of the rectocele repair's incision to deal with and the extreme fatigue that was both the result of having major surgery and the extreme blood loss during surgery, and before, that resulted in anemia. At that point, it really didn't feel like I'd had major surgery, at all!!! And, yep, I tended to overdo it, especially since my surgery was 11 days before X-Mas!!!

However, starting around the end of the second week post-op, I began noticing that my recovery was paralleling the recovery of my TAH twins: by then I was having lots of abdominal pain and cramping, the fatigue had reached a new level, my ovaries were acting up and shutting down and I would have those unbelievable ups and downs, that made me associate this recovery to being on a crazy roller-coaster ride!!! I also noticed that, by that time, those who'd had an abdominal incision woud find things were getting a little easier, as the external stitches were healing faster than the internal stitches. It also became quite apparent that I'd had a lot of the same internal work: the bowels and bladder still were moved around, there were most likely as many internal stitches and I also noticed just how weak my abdominals and back muscles were. And I understood why my OB/GYN, who's been performing both TAH's and TVH's for quite a long time, told me that he believed the TVH would be easier for me but that the recovery would still be about the same.

BTW, I still believe that a TVH is most likely an easier surgery than a TAH. However, I think that one of the major risks of that surgery is the risk of overdoing it: without the external incision to remind you that you've had major surgery. Personally, I found that I really couldn't really rely on my body to tell me when enough was enough, especially not in those early days: by the time my body told me I'd done too much, I had done wayyyy too much.

I think that the most important thing to remember, throughout all of this, is to ask questions. Ask your doctor, ask your friends and relatives who have had the different types of hysts, read on sites like these. Ask in the hopes that you can get as much information as possible in order to have as realistic expectations as you possibly can.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that things improve for you, in the near future.
Unread 08-07-2004, 09:11 AM

That was a nice reply Dany....thanks!

I did notice that you had the rectocele repair. I know that was a murderous experience for my sister-in-law. She said that part was rough. She had that with her TVH, along with Cystocele repair, but did quite well with all, just had a lot pain once things started to wake up again.

Surgery is a drag, but I, too heal very well and very quickly. I also have a tendency to do too much because of my intense energy, so I listen to my body closely, but don't always "catch" myself either. LOL!

Hugs,

Jackie
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM

I'm reading your words of encouragement and tales of whoa and this is making me just a little bit more nervous. After being in the hosital twice for TAH/BSO, and both times they couldn't intebate me, my throat started bleeding, swelled up so now an ENT doc is going do it I feel confident it's a go ahead. I'm scared to death but I know third time's a charm. I need a few prayers from somewhere and listening to your stories I guess my problem is minor now. It surely gives me something to think about. I have 6 weeks to go and counting.

I have a question, on Sat. I was having pains alternating side to side, intense at times, then went to a cookout and on the way home I got very ill and vomited for 5-6 hours and of course the runs followed. Does it sound like they would be related?

I just finished reading "The Land of Hyster" and I loved it..boy what a book to refer to, know matter what's bothering you. I feel like part of a family here w/you guys, thanks.
Terri
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:14 AM

Terri,

The medical professionals are now aware of your problems with intubation, which is good because they have called in an ENT. Perhaps a smaller airway can be used (child-size?).

You know what your vomiting and diarrhea sound like to me? In all honesty, it sounds more like a case of good old-fashioned food poisoning, with which I am all too familiar!!! Especially following a cookout during summer?!

Good luck to you during and after your surgery and just holler when you need us. We're here for you! We have been there and can hopefully lend plenty of emotional support to you during this time!

HUGS,

Jackie
Unread 08-10-2004, 01:49 PM

Jackie,

Thanks for the warning on the food, my hubby spoke with whom had the cookout but didn't tell him I had gotten sick (just like a man) but no one else had said anything. Oh well, over and forgotten. I still had a rough night last night trying to sleep 'cause my right was at it again. Surgery has been booked for 9/28/04 @ 8AM. 7 weeks from today and counting!!

I'm keeping track of my days in a journal now for my up and down days.

Terri
Unread 08-10-2004, 04:05 PM

Terri,

Please talk to your doctor to be on the safe side. I also think it is wise to find out if anyone else got sick. This way you can rule out food poisoning so you can tell your doctor everything.

Having horrible alternating pains that cause lack of sleep would be cause for concern for me, combined with your recent bout of illness. Waiting another 7 weeks must be difficult for you. Perhaps your doc can move this up for you if you are so sick!

HUGS,

Jackie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register