TAH OTC Ibuprofen ok? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OTC Ibuprofen ok? OTC Ibuprofen ok?

Unread 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM
OTC Ibuprofen ok?

This is a dumb question but I have an Rx of Ibuprofen 600 I am almost out. Would it be ok to use the OTC version as long as you take 600 mg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Re: OTC Ibuprofen ok?

There are no strange questions. Regular OTC is just fine and the same. Regular OTC generally comes in 200 mg...so take 3. Just check the dosage amounts to make sure. It works just fine! I switched to OTC Ibuprophen as soon as it worked for me. Not giving medical advice, but medical personnel say that 3 -- 200mg OTC Ibuprophen + 2 regular acetaminophen (Tylenol) together work great for pain relief...which they do.

Best of luck...hope all is well.
Unread 01-12-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynngg View Post
There are no strange questions. Regular OTC is just fine and the same. Regular OTC generally comes in 200 mg...so take 3. Just check the dosage amounts to make sure. It works just fine! I switched to OTC Ibuprophen as soon as it worked for me. Not giving medical advice, but medical personnel say that 3 -- 200mg OTC Ibuprophen + 2 regular acetaminophen (Tylenol) together work great for pain relief...which they do.

Best of luck...hope all is well.
Yes , my favorite cocktail for pain, ibuprofen and Tylenol. My doc told me that too.
. Just remember not to mix ibuprofen or Tylenol and aspirin together. Not a good mix at all. It is dangerous .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2015, 06:01 AM

Ibuprofen - the only medication that got me through the first four weeks!
Unread 01-13-2015, 06:39 AM

My primary care physician is concerned about kidney failure with taking too much ibuprophen, so he switched me to tylenol. I switch back and forth between the two of them so I don't take too much of either.
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:59 AM

OTC ibuprofen is the same med as prescription ibuprofen. In fact, I was never given an Rx for ibuprofen, I was just told to use the OTC stuff.

If you're experiencing pain and it's not time for your next ibuprofen yet, you can take acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol). Ibuprofen is an NSAID, acetaminophen's not, and they're metabolized by different pathways, so you can mix them.

Do *not* mix ibuprofen with other NSAIDs (e.g. naproxen = Aleve) or with aspirin, as they're all metabolized by the same pathway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register