Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & BSO: recovery, incision and intimacy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & BSO: recovery, incision and intimacy questions Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & BSO: recovery, incision and intimacy questions

Unread 04-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & BSO: recovery, incision and intimacy questions

Hi all,

Quick one I keep hearing about people being up and around etc days after the surgery however my doctor doesn't think i'll be up and about for a good week if not longer and wants me to stay in hospital for at least 7 days.

Now I assume this is due the various types of ops.

I'm having a Full abdominal Hysterectomy, Including Ovaries.

Has anyone had this? what was your recovery time? how long where you in bed etc, what about silly things like going to the bathroom?

I'm planning on sleeping on the couch after the op. (honestly not as bad as it sounds) My couch is HUGE and very comfy and I will be able to get into a better position propped up on the couch than I could on the bed, but the bathroom is upstairs will this be an issue after 7 days post op? (my father in law has offered to lend me a commode bless him but i'm not sure I fancy getting my husband to empty it... yuk)

Also I know this sounds very vain... but where about will the scar be? is it bikini line or much higher. I'm a woman in her late 30's its been years since I've shown my belly off to the world, yet for some reason the thought that my shirt could ride up and reveal a big ugly scar really bothers me. Also I'm REALLY self conscious about my body anyway, I just hate the thought of my husband being aware of it all the time... rationally I know he love and supports me but I don't want to be ugly to him when I take my clothes off

ok so perhaps not so quick but while on the subject... sex life? is that going to be ok afterwards .. I mean long term not straight afterwards. Will it be different if so how? sorry for all the questions I got a stupid leaflet from the doctor but it was painfully inadequate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Re: Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & BSO: recovery, incision and intimacy questions

hi, it does seem to be a longer the usual hospital stay and I am pretty sure they normally like you to get up and moving as soon as possible to prevent blood clots, and get the gases moving.

I had abdo incision SAH, got back to the ward in the evening, and was up walking slowly and showering the next morning, after they took out the catheter, and took down the iv fluids. I stood and had short frequent walks from then on. The more I moved around the easier it got.
Each case is individual and very different though.

you should be ok to get to the toilet at home.

can't give any advice on the long term sex life yet.
Unread 04-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Re: Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & BSO: recovery, incision and intimacy questions

Leiela,
wow! 7 days is a long time to be in for an abdominal hysterectomy. I had one on March 10 and stayed 4 nights, which was longer than my doctor expected. I was up walking the following day, as they want you moving asap. I was brought to my room that evening (Monday) from recovery, and my nurse had me up walking to the bathroom to wash up in the morning.
Yes, I was sore, and I had to learn how to get in and out of bed causing the least amount of discomfort. But, the more I started moving, the quicker I would heal, and it gets your insides moving so that you can pass gas.
It might be harder for you to get on the couch (it is lower) than to get in your bed. If you have a lot of stairs, you should go slow, but should be able to do them on day 7.
Is there a specific reason your doctor wants you in the hospital for so long? Usually, they try to push us out to reduce the risk of infection and get us back at home, where we can heal faster in our own surroundings.
I don't think you will need a commode, but it is really up to you, if you think the stairs are too much, you may want to limit your trips.
In terms of a scar, I have an incision from below my belly button (vertical) all the way to top of pelvic bone. Some women get a horizontal scar. It is big, but I would not say it is so ugly. But, it you are self conscious, it may be hard to deal with at first.
I have not had sex yet, and was told nothing in the vagina for 12 weeks.
Good luck, and I hope that you recover well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2014, 02:26 PM

So important to feel attractive to our husbands. I had kidney problems from the time I was little. I was on dialysis when I was eighteen so I had a scar from that, then I had gallstones out, four small scars, the had a kidney transplant big scar, had breast reduction. I have a map going on on my body. Got married after all of those things. I was nervous but he loves them as they are part of me. He doesn't even seem to notice anymore, I have come to love them too. They mark me as a survivor. He has a big tummy, not sexy, but I hardly notice, he is the sexiest man I know and the love of my life. It isn't a body we make love to, it is the whole person. You will be beautiful no matter what.
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiela View Post
Hi all,

Quick one I keep hearing about people being up and around etc days after the surgery however my doctor doesn't think i'll be up and about for a good week if not longer and wants me to stay in hospital for at least 7 days.

Now I assume this is due the various types of ops.

I'm having a Full abdominal Hysterectomy, Including Ovaries.

Has anyone had this? what was your recovery time? how long where you in bed etc, what about silly things like going to the bathroom?

I'm planning on sleeping on the couch after the op. (honestly not as bad as it sounds) My couch is HUGE and very comfy and I will be able to get into a better position propped up on the couch than I could on the bed, but the bathroom is upstairs will this be an issue after 7 days post op? (my father in law has offered to lend me a commode bless him but i'm not sure I fancy getting my husband to empty it... yuk)

Also I know this sounds very vain... but where about will the scar be? is it bikini line or much higher. I'm a woman in her late 30's its been years since I've shown my belly off to the world, yet for some reason the thought that my shirt could ride up and reveal a big ugly scar really bothers me. Also I'm REALLY self conscious about my body anyway, I just hate the thought of my husband being aware of it all the time... rationally I know he love and supports me but I don't want to be ugly to him when I take my clothes off

ok so perhaps not so quick but while on the subject... sex life? is that going to be ok afterwards .. I mean long term not straight afterwards. Will it be different if so how? sorry for all the questions I got a stupid leaflet from the doctor but it was painfully inadequate.
I had my full TAH 12 weeks ago today.... Last weekend was the first time that we both felt ready for full sex.
I can tell you now, although we were both tense, and i felt a little bruised afterwards (was walking like a cowboy for a while after ;-0 ) boy oh boy.......... it was great, in fact I would say my orgasm was even better than before the op, ie it was more intense....
Hope this helps you feel a little better about it!
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshawkey View Post
I had my full TAH 12 weeks ago today.... Last weekend was the first time that we both felt ready for full sex.
I can tell you now, although we were both tense, and i felt a little bruised afterwards (was walking like a cowboy for a while after ;-0 ) boy oh boy.......... it was great, in fact I would say my orgasm was even better than before the op, ie it was more intense....
Hope this helps you feel a little better about it!
I have a question about the sex part? Do you still have your cervix? A friend of mine stated that once she healed from her hysterectomy her husband didn't like the sex as much as he did before because there was no "bottom" to hit.(cervix was removed also). I'm a little self conscious about that and if that will be the case for my husband..
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healing1112 View Post
I have a question about the sex part? Do you still have your cervix? A friend of mine stated that once she healed from her hysterectomy her husband didn't like the sex as much as he did before because there was no "bottom" to hit.(cervix was removed also). I'm a little self conscious about that and if that will be the case for my husband..
Yes had my cervix removed as well, and dh said it felt no different to him :-)
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshawkey View Post
Yes had my cervix removed as well, and dh said it felt no different to him :-)
Best news I've heard!!! Yay!! I can breathe and continue to heal! Thanks for the response!
Unread 04-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Without IM so glad I've read this I am having the same thing and was worried about the while sex thing.
Unread 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM

well that's a relief, my DH is wonderful he supports me fully and im sure whatever the next few months bring he will still continue to do so.

I was worried it would be different for him and me physically, I mean sometimes change isn't bad but there is some major re-work being done on my nether regions so it was a worry.

So what about sex drive? I mean the basic 'primal urge' which is to make babies will be gone im guessing. Now I expect that the emotional drivers will still be there but did anyone find a drop in their sex drive?

And.. while im being blunt... what about lubrication, did things still manage themselves or is a little help required?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register