BM complication! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BM complication! BM complication!

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
BM complication!

Spent all Saturday night (day 5 post-op) trying to have a BM. was getting more and more painful. By 7am was in agony and my husband went off the the all-night chemist to get a suppository. It didn't work. Went back to get another, they wouldn't give him one and said I should go to the ER in case something was wrong.

Eventually was admitted and given an enema and told to hold it as long as possible. A nurse eventually helped me to the toilet. It was SOOOOOO painful when it started. I wrapped my arm around the support on the wall near the toilet and hung on for dear life. I felt my entire abdomen spasm at the moment of release. I sat there for a few minutes until I assumed it was over and then returned to my bed.

Next thing I know I am being taken for xrays to "see what is going on". Had front, back and lying down. Later the doctor came and told me that my entire digestive tract was in a state of shock I suppose and was shut down and I was backed up to the beginning and even worse, it had all stretched!!! This was no good because a stretched organ does not work so I have to have my entire tract cleaned out. He gave me an immediate dose of Movicol and I have to take another each day for 3 more days. It worked after 4 hours and I have been 3 more times since then. My next dose will be 2pm. It is extremely violent! but this is what I need,apparently. He said I will have lot of gas pains etc over the next few days. What fun

I could not understand how this had come to pass as I was fit and did all the right things, eating lots of fibre and drinking lots of water. He said it did not matter - the effects of the anesthetic and general trauma of the surgery caused it to happen and that it was common. It obviously does not happen to everyone but I am surprised more attention was not paid to the likelihood of this occurring while I was in hospital. I had already decided I would take stool softeners once I was eating normal and even asked for one on day 3 post-op when started eating.

The good news is that apart from this setback, I am healing quite well I think - movement is easier every day. It being a holiday long weekend here, my doctor does not know about this yet - I was due to have the stapes removed tomorrow - Tuesday. Also, I lost 3 pounds initially, and after yesterday, another 5 pounds so think in the long run all this cleansing will be very beneficial . This should also resolve part of the swelly belly once I have finished the course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Re: BM complication!

Sorry to hear you had to go through so much! Hope it keeps getting better.
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:16 AM

Hi Jasnick,

So sorry to hear about your BM problems. I had the same difficulties in Bmovements. The movicol will help a lot. I took them twice a day and that helped a lot, but sometimes the gas before hand is the killer. I called the doc about it and was advised that eating lots of fibre vegies and drinking water would help. I still take metamucil tablets every day. It will get better as the week goes on and your insides recover.
Still would call the doctor tomorrow and give them an update about what happened on the weekend.
Hope you can enjoy today's holiday a bit.
take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2010, 02:54 AM

Hi matfred

Twice a day??? Heavens, once is bad enough. I have been 6 times from the first dose and had the second dose a couple of hours ago. Yes, the gas IS a killer - it just has to be endured. I am also taking stool softeners twice a day and will get on to Metamucil later.

My doc appointment for removal so staples is 9am but as I am going to the toilet so regularly, I am wondering if I can make it. I plan to phone the surgery from 7.30am to see what I should do.

Thanks for the support - glad to know I am not the only one.
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:53 AM

Sorry to read of your difficulties. Best wishes for better days ahead. Take care!
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Had the staples out - the doctor said my bowel problems were just one of those things - it affects some people like that. He told me to stop the Movicol - I had 2 doses. It really cleaned me out - am drinking lots of fluid and eating lots of fruit and veg. Now waiting on first "normal" BM.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register