GYN Says NO to Bone Density....Why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GYN Says NO to Bone Density....Why? GYN Says NO to Bone Density....Why?

Unread 07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
GYN Says NO to Bone Density....Why?

OK Sisters, I learned here about the importance of a Bone Density test within a few months of ovary removal through this site.

So, I called my gyn and requested a Bone Density. He LAUGHED at me stating I was young (age 46) and was on estrogen so there was no need in a Bone Density test at this time until later on down the road.

Sisters, do I need to call maybe a new doc (like an internist) and inquire about getting a Bone Density test?????

As always thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2006, 03:26 PM

I had a similar experience. I had my hyst when I was 44; a year later when I had my annual exam I asked if I should have a bone density test. I was on HRT then. My doctor said, "You don't need one." I was quite surprised. Anyway I changed doctors (this was only one of several reasons why) and at my next annual (age 46) before I could even ask about it my new doctor said I should have a bone density test and wrote out the paperwork right away. The test was simple and painless. Everything was normal and I had peace of mind. If your doctor does not think it is important, then I say go to someone else.
Unread 07-20-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm assuming your dr was looking at your age, HRT, and maybe lack of other risk factors and felt like osteoporosis was unlikely. Are you taking calcium and exercising? That's important. If you want peace of mind, you could consult another dr. Insurance carriers are not likely to pay for it unless dr. verifies that it is medically necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Hi!

Many months after my surgery I asked my gynecologist about a bone density test. He was agreeable and I had it done the following month. At the age of 46, it was found that I had osteopenia (mild thinning of bone mass) and this is despite being on hormone therapy and taking calcium supplements. Whether or not the osteopenia occured prior to or after my hysterectomy is anyone's guess but the fact is, it was discovered. Knowing this information I could be proactive in keeping it from getting worse. I think having a baseline test done after an oophorectomy is a good idea.

If you aren't satisfied with what your doctor has told you, by all means seek another opinion. I hope you are able to have the test done and that you get the all clear and the peace of mind that brings.

s
Unread 07-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I didn't need a Dr's referral

I'm confused. I've seen this same kind of post several times.
I went to the same clinic where I have my mammograms done and just made an appointment for a bone density. It takes about 30 seconds.

I didn't have to have a referral and my insurance paid. Maybe because I'm over the magic age, don't know. They too found osteopenia on one hip and doc said to take calcium and do weight bearing exercise. Of course, right after that I had surgery and so the weight bearing exercise has been a little sketchy right now.

If there are clinics who do this, you could talk to them and they'll have an idea what insurance requires and whether you have to have a write up from your doc.
Maybe your GP or an internist would be willing to write it up for you.

I'm not sure that you have to have permission. . .I guess it just depends.
Unread 07-20-2006, 08:04 PM

I had a tah/bso at the end of March. Both my primary care and gyn agreed to have a bone density done. I'm 36.

I had one done about 5 weeks after the surgery. I started estrogen a day before 12 weeks.

I would definitely ask again or ask your primary care doctor.
Unread 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM

I thought we were supposed to get the test after age 30? My employer has an annual employee health fair and i just do it there. Very simple no pain at all!!
Unread 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM

I am in a similar situation. I am 34 years old and had my complete hysterectomy 11 months ago. I have many risk factors for osteoporosis(including being very thin and underweight, family history of osteoporosis, lactose intolerant, surgical menopause..even though I am on a tiny dose of hrt). When I asked my gynecologist and regular doctors about having a dexa scan, they said not to worry yet, I was taking calcium, vitamin d (cant yet find a magnesium that I can tolerate) and on hrt. They said if I continued to have problems with getting balanced with hormones, I could have one. Yep, still having problems! But everytime I ask, they brush me off like it is no big deal. I just think this is ridiculous. I am 34 and my hormone levels show that I am way post menopausal. I am going to keep pushing and find a doctor that will do one. Like April Dawn said, it is so important to be proactive about our health. I don't want to wait until I am crippled with pain and getting fractures! I am scared to death of this! Anytime you have your ovaries removed, especially at a young age, you are automatically at increased risk for osteoporosis. I think having a dexa/bone scan is completely reasonable in our situations. Now if I could just get someone to do one!
Unread 07-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I had a bone density before surgery

My mom has osteoporosis that, with treatment for many years, is now classified as osteopenia. I asked my family doc for a density before surgery, in case my endo was extensive and I wouldn't be a candidate for HRT. Luckily there was very little endo and I can take HRT and my bones were fine. My doc listed the various factors necessary for me to qualify for a scan here in Canada and I just barely passed the qualifying numbers - family member with osteo, period of time with low calcium or milk intake, weight loss of over 10% of body weight and early (46- not really early but one ovary out at 38) menopause. Now I have a baseline to go by. My daughter (much finer boned and doesn't handle milk well) was chosen randomly for a bone density test for a study of teenagers' bones and she now has a baseline test too. Hopefully the two of us won't be having horrible back pain and lose 2 inches in a year when we are 75. My mom had a hysterectomy at 46 but only took HRT for a short time because of side effects.
Kendo
Unread 07-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Ok so this runs in my family plus after being on Luperon and having every side effect in the book, I decided to get the test to have a baseline. My doc said that I had nothing to worry about, as I was under 30 at the time. I went to a minute clinic and had it done quickly and for a tiny cost. Of course I was fine but now I have a baseline to measure over the years. For me it was more about peace of mind.

-ebeb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register