Choices with anastesia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Choices with anastesia? Choices with anastesia?

Unread 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Choices with anastesia?

I am reading through the packet of stuff send home with me today saying I have a choice. General Anestesia, or a spinal with sedation....
What do you guys think? Have you have this choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Choices with anastesia?

my dr didnt give me a choice but i think i would of went with the gernal anestea any ways
hugs
lisa
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Choices with anastesia?

If I have a choice I will go with the spinal with sedation because I can't stand the breathing tube. It hurt my throat for several days after I had my gall bladder surgery and the spinal is to keep you painfree for 24 hours according to some sister's reports.

Downyocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Choices with anastesia?

I had a TVH a week ago with spinal anesthesia (w/sedation). I chose this b/c I had a friend who had done it with much success and b/c I had read on here and other places that your recovery was faster. I have NO complaints.

You do not have the "fog" that often comes with general anesthesia. I was sedated and do not remember a thing and I was given addition meds (??) in the spinal that offered very good pain control. I had NO pain the day of surgery and only very minimal the day after--and have very little thus far.

A draw back is that you do have to have a cath and I had it for a little less than 24 hrs. You also have the risk of having a spinal headache (which can be fixed by a blood patch). I was fortunate that I did not have one. I was also told another risk was that is possibly would not work and they would have to go ahead and put me under with gen. In recovery I remember them asking me to move my feet and couldnt, but when I was moved to my room I was able to help them transfer me to my bed.

A good friend was my anesthesiaologist and I dont think he would have agreed to do it had there been any addition risks--b/c my main reason for having a spinal was for a faster recovery (not that I had previous problems with general anes., etc) I also was told the reason general anes is used routinely is that is is easier on the anesthesiaologist.

I am not sure on all the of different procedures, but if you are having any lap work done, I dont think you can have a spinal b/c of respiratory issues when they fill your abdomen with air.

For me it was a good thing--
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Choices with anastesia?

I had both. They gave me a spinal first. The relief from the spinal lasted 18 hours and I only had the needle from that for about 30 seconds. They sedated me before they did it so I barely remember that part. Then they put me to sleep. Because of the spinal (I think it's called Intrathecial) I didn't need the PCA I was planning to have. It was great!
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Choices with anastesia?

Hi there,
I had an epidural, which is similar to a spinal, because the both numb you from the waist down, but an epidural leaves a catheter in place. Using the regional anesthesia is a good idea because they can put in a long acting pain relief medicine which is great. I have had a few previous c/sections. One without the long acting pain med, and the other with. When I had the hyster I knew I wanted it because the pain is really difficult to control without it. It does have side effects such as lowering your temperature, nausea and vomiting and ithcing. You can take meds to reverse it if these get too out of control. I had all of those side effects but would take them all over the pain. I also had general with it.
GOOD LUCK
wooshmoosh
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Choices with anastesia?

are you sure that applies to you..i didnt think a spinal was a choice with laparoscopic surgery. i'd call and ask your dr's office before you start trying to make a decision. if you do have a choice...it depends on how you feel about general anesthesia. its very safe and you shouldnt have any problems. the spinal is a great option though...you wont remember anything and the pain control after is really good. it just depends on how you feel about being completely unaware.
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Choices with anastesia?

I didn't get a choice, I had general anesthesia and woke up very clear headed , no foggy-ness what so ever......

As far as the cath goes from every thing I have read everyone has it with a hysterectomy.....No big deal either for most of us.....

So if I had to have it done again, I would go with the anesthesia...
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Choices with anastesia?

Thank you so much everyone!
I think I am going to chose gen. mostly b/c I had some residual back pain from epidural when I had my son. I am also scared to death, and I had gen. with a knee surgery when I was 12. I did ok. I wasn't worried then. Someone told me it's b/c when I was younger I knew I'd have off from school for a while Now I have responsiblities...
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Choices with anastesia?

I had no choice with the anesthesia, and had the general. I came to in the recovery and was pretty coherent, asking the Dr. if I had needed a transfusion, and if everything looked ok, and asked for something because my throat was dry. I remember being wheeled to my room and the nurses washing me up and tucking me in. I had a tiny bit of nausea, but nothing awful. I was drinking fluids within hours of recovery. My throat felt only a little tight from the breathing tube, and I can't say it was at all painful. Nothing was really awful about the hospital experience and the nurse were so wonderful.

Tickled PInk
TAH/BSO 12/3/07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register