Scheduled dVH/RALH Scared. Complex hyperplasia w/ atypia - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared.  Complex hyperplasia w/ atypia Scared. Complex hyperplasia w/ atypia

Unread 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Re: Scared. Complex hyperplasia w/ atypia

Hi 1Littlesister,

It is very scary to get this DX even with the "pre" tacked onto cancer. The waiting seemed like the hardest part as I want those bad cells out. My gyn/onc also told me I could delay surgery, if had a a vacation planned,etc., noting usually this is slow growing but I knew I would be a basket case so went for the first date available. Of course, if I had job obligations then, I very likely would have waited too.

I wanted to wish you well and also to advise you or others posting here with the same DX may want to consider posting in the CancerConcerns forum particularly re questions/concerns; etc., you have about this pre-cancerous condition. The CC ladies there are a very welcoming group and since many are/have dealt with this DX they can share first hand experiences with you.

Just click here to get to this forum: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=6

hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2011, 01:11 AM

I just want to thank everyone for responding. Your advice helped me make some important decisions about my surgery. I don't know if I can even describe how much you have helped me.

I went for a second and third opinion. I now have a new doctor, she is a gyn/ocologist. I feel very confident in my decision and more at ease about having the surgery. I will be having a total hysterectomy, hopefully they will not find any cancer.

I am still very scared, but from reading other sisters pre op comments, that seems normal.

My new surgery date is on July 21st. Still a wait, but time seems to be going faster then I would like. Although I am looking forward to having this all behind me.

Thank you all again and thank you God for leading me to HysterSisters.
I hope you are all doing well.
Hugs
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:41 PM

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Aug 12. My diagnosis was complex hyperplasia with atypia. I would like to hear from others that have had laproscopic total hysterectomies. I am really nervous about the surgery. I am very overweight. Maybe I am just being a baby, but have never had major surgery. Please let me know how your surgeries went and how long was your recovery time? How long till you felt normal again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Nanny4wheeler, I sent you a private message. I hope you don't mind.
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:57 AM

I tried to send you a private message back, but it said you did not accept private messages. I would love to keep in touch, and I will be praying for you 1littlesister!
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM

My surgery was 3 weeks ago and I had a TAH--so different from yours, but for the same reason. I am also a very fluffy sister!!! I am delighted to say that my recovery has been easy! After about 10 days I was able to stop taking all pain meds. I am walking (or strolling) 30-60 minutes a day. Today I went out to breakfast and then to the grocery store with my adult daughter. Glad she was along because she had to drive me home and put all the groceries away because I was so tired and was having a few twinges. However, I am delighted I have as much energy as I do!

Remember, we all heal differently. However, recovery can go smoothly. I try to follow all of the doctor's orders of not lifting, bending, etc. and feel this has helped in my recovery. Good luck to you!!!
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM

That is inspiring...thanks for that post. I am believing that my recovery time will be smooth and fast! I am scheduled for august 12. I wanted to be able to enjoy my grandchildren this Summer. Thank you all for the encouragement I receive on this site. I have learned so much!
Unread 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM

I have complex hyperplasia without atypia (and fibroids), my gyn did consult with gyn-onc and started me on high dose progerterone until my surgery date 6 weeks later. This type does have a lower risk of becoming cancer and the progesterone should help decrease the "bad" cells also. Just 2 more weeks to go.
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM

I had daVinci lap on April 11th and had ovaries and cervix removed as well.

Surgery was almost completely pain free - really the worst was the gas pains the day after and general bathroom woe for about 10 days (you can't really push so it's very unpleasant). I took Oxycontin for just three days, then switched to ibuprofen for another couple of days and that was it. But, Gas-X and Colace are your friends. I slept with an icepack for about two weeks, which helped with swelling and nightsweats. I started taking premarin after 2 weeks to help with the nightsweats and rashes.

You will have somewhat limited range of motion for at least a couple of weeks -- bending and reaching aren't going to work. In all cases, you should walk as much as possible, even if you don't want to. It helps the swelling, it helps the recovery, it helps your mental state. You also will have trouble carrying heavy stuff for at least a month. You can do it, but it will hurt and you are likely to swell.

While you are still open on the table, your doctor will most likely have your lymph nodes tested and will likely only remove if there's an obvious problem. Lymph nodes are something you don't want to take out if you don't have to since their removal means you need to take precautions about swelling for your whole life. The precautions aren't terrible, but better to not have to.

You should get your pathology back within about 7-10 days, which will decide your next steps. If your pathology is clean, you'll likely need to see your oncologist every 4 months for a few years for an exam, then every 6 months. Once you hit 5 years, you will be declared cured and can go back to your regular GYN for further care. If your pathology is not clean, you may need radiation or chemo; keep in mind that the vast vast majority of people come out clean here and the odds are well in your favor. I strongly recommend not inventing things to worry about in advance -- the recovery rate for this kind of cancer is something like 94%.

All in all, I will say that considering how terrifed I was before surgery, it was really no big deal at all. By about three weeks post, I felt about 92% and by 6 weeks I pretty much felt like nothing ever happened. The worst during those 6 weeks was the exhaustion I would feel if I did too much.

The worst at 3 months out is that I still get a little swelly by end of the day sometimes, but never enough to not fit my clothes properly. I have a spot on my right side that still gets sore if I overdo it.

Hope this helps!
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM

I had your exact dianosis and your exact response. I am so glad you are seeing an oncologist. Mine was able to calm me and reassure me. She didn't think I would need more than the surgery and it turned out she was right. She was able to tell me right after surgery that there was no cancer found. Later my full pathology report also substantiated that. I am a woman with a large abdomen and the ONC. thought she might have to do TAV if my uterus was too enlarged but it was okay. My recovery was almost exaclty like SLC-NYC. I am 8 weeks post op and feeling great. My energy and strength have returned. There are many of us with your diagnosis. It is scary and your mind will play games with you so just tell it to STOP! Just know that whatever the outcome you have an excellent Dr. to take you through it all. I will be thinking only the best for you. YOu may have to take it easy with your grandchildren but it all goes as planned you should be doing great in 4-5 weeks post op Maybe even sooner!! good luck. Cheryl
BTW,
My Oncologist told me she never wanted to see me again and I don't have any follow up. She said it was not cancer, just suspicious/ pre-cancerous cells in a polyp.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register