Ovaries - keep or not keep - I'm 36? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries - keep or not keep - I'm 36? Ovaries - keep or not keep - I'm 36?

Unread 11-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Ovaries - keep or not keep - I'm 36?

Hello all,

I have just joined this website today. I am having surgery on 12/4 and I'm really starting to get nervous (looks like I have company here) I have had problems in the past (grapefruit sized tumor on my ovary at 20 which I had surgery on) and lots of D&C's and laproscopies....My doctor is going to evaulate my ovaries during the surgery to see if they are worth keeping. I'm a little confused about the outcome if I have to have them taken out! Has anyone had a similiar situation? I am not good at taking pills and I worry about hormore replacement at my age?

Thanks for listening! Sandy Martinez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2002, 08:56 PM

I just turned 47, I'm 6 weeks post op today, and opted to keep my ovaries if they looked healthy at surgery, and they did, so for better or for worse, I have 'em. I was leaning in that direction anyway because of all the recent hoo-ha about hormone replacement therapy, and figured it would be better to keep my own hormone production going on for as long as possible. My surgeon said some patients want them taken out simply because they are afraid of cancer, especially if they have had a friend or relative with ovarian cancer. I work for a medical oncologist and he said the risk of ovarian cancer in the general population is actually very low.

If you are worried about the possibility of cancer, you could consider just having them removed, but if that's not a concern for you, you might have the option of keeping them. But it all came down to what the doctor saw during surgery. I told him to use his best medical judgement. I guess time will tell whether we made the right decision.
Unread 11-21-2002, 10:32 AM

Hi Sandy

Glad you found us. If your ovaries are healthy and you have no family history of ovarian cancer, I'd say keep them. Menopause is a ways off for you and your ovaries will continue to produce small amounts of beneficial hormones, even after menopause.

If your ovaries are removed, you will have to make a decision about HRT. Again, at your age most gyns probably would recommend that you take estrogen. But this is something that you really need to discuss with your gyn. I take estrogen and it's only one pill a day that I take right before bed. Once you get into the routine of taking a pill, it's really not that difficult to remember. Sort of like brushing your teeth ...

Keep reading, asking questions and talking to your gyn. Best of luck on December 4th!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 04:51 PM

Sandy

I know how you feel. There is so many question and risks about the ovaries.
I too still dont know if I will able to keep mine aswell.
Guess will have to wait and see what they look like to our DOCS.
But because of the unknown I have done as much digging up info on HRT's as I can. Just to be on the safe side that I have to have them taken out. I found a lot of GREAT info on this site, as Im sure you have found. Me and my DH are the type of people whom always have to have a plan b, plan c, and plan d made out just in case plan a doesnt follow threw. And I can tell you at my age (31) knowning that I may have to loose them scares me a lot. I am bi-polar and "TRUST ME" I "HATE" to take pills. I have decided to take NHRT's and progeston creams first if need be.. I am hoping that if I have to that they will work for me....

Best Wishes on your day @ the castle.
Will be praying for you.

Karen
Unread 11-22-2002, 05:23 PM

My doctor agreed with my decision to keep mine (as long as she felt they were healthy, of course). It's a huge question, and one each woman must make for herself.

What helped me make up my mind, however, was finding out that even if they are removed you are not assured of not getting ovarian cancer. Any ovarian cells remaining behind are susceptible.

It's a tough decision, no doubt! I hope this helps!
Unread 11-23-2002, 10:38 AM

Hi Sandy and welcome to HysterSisters
I believe like the others who posted, as far as retaining your Ovaries when their healthy. Our Ovaries provide some much needed Hormones for our overall health, they are very important Organs. Even after Menopause, be it Surgical, Premature or Natural, they will still continue to dribble out small amounts of those much needed Hormones, which can make it easier to compensate for what is lost that to totally replace them. Some women struggle trying to find that balance when dealing with Hormone Relacement Therapy(HRT) while others are able to take a pill or in some cases, nothing at all & go on with life feeling great It's hard to know tho should you have them removed which category you will fall in??
Here is a link to a forum here called The Hormone Jungle. It is a place where there are several women struggling to find balance, sharing their experiences and info. I would suggest a visit there for anyone contemplating Ovary removal, you need to know tho that the women there are posting b/c they need support. The women who were lucky in this dept have went on and are no longer in need of a support group, so keep that in mind when reading the posts there.

Good Luck in your decison Sandy Your doing the right thing by researching thise before surgery! Please keep us posted and know your Sisters are here to support you in whichever decision you decide is best for you....((hugs))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register