Need advice from my sisters! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need advice from my sisters! Need advice from my sisters!

Unread 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Need advice from my sisters!

I am in week 5 post op (Friday the 13th lol April 2012) I had total hysterectomy Davinci method. I woke up from surgery with a patch on my hip. I have been using the Estradiol .1 patches once a week changeout. I really do not want to be on HRT. I wont even take Ibruprofen unless I have to. I was only in hospital 24 hours start to finish and never took any prescribed pain meds once I left. Only Ibuprofen when absolutely necessary. I take vitamins and natural supplements daily. The patches are a pain, always bubble up in the shower and I'm wondering what happens when I resume my outdoor/gardening activities where I sweat bullets..lol. Ok now on to my questions.
What are y'alls opinions on staying on hormones? My game plan was to be off them by the end of the year. Reading some of the forums I'm a little scared.
What are y'alls opinions on hollistic alternatives?
I am considering switching to the pill for for convenience but am afraid on taking oral medication because of side affects.
I am also a smoker...I know its bad...but its part of me. I am so confused about all this and I have asked 2 doctors and one says stay on HRT forever the other says to stay on them for the smalles amount of time possible. what to do?
I appreciate any insight y'all can give me!!

TO ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Re: Need advice from my sisters!

the way i look at it is that im only replacing what i had before. google the benefits of taking oestrogen after your ovaries have been removed..i believe it helps to protect against dementia, brittle bones, heart disease...without oestrogen....im a mess...depressed, anxious, achy, tired...i basically cant function.

a new study in the uk now reveals that you are no more likely to get breast cancer with or without oestrogen only hrt.

for me the benefits far outweigh the risks.

can you change brand of patch if your not happy with the way it works for you?

just my thoughts!
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Re: Need advice from my sisters!

I think part of it is personal preference and how you feel off HRT. And your age plays a part. If you really object to HRT you can try to wean off and see how you do. If you don't like how you feel, that may make your decision for you. I'm not sure about HRT and smoking, since I don't smoke, but I assume your Dr is aware you smoke and is OK with that? Some brand patches do stick better so if you opt for them you might want to change brands or apply a Tegaderm over it to hold it in place. They don't work if they don't stick, and they are expensive to replace. Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register