To remove or not to remove...that is the question! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To remove or not to remove...that is the question! To remove or not to remove...that is the question!

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:57 PM
To remove or not to remove...that is the question!

Scheduled for Lap/hyster on 4/16. Doctor said to "make up your mind...which procedure do you want to do?" He can either remove endo like we did twice before..or we can do a total hyster.

The nurse said she recommends leaving one overy in for hormones..but with severe endo, Im concerned about regrowth..and ovarian cancer down the road..

I am 42. The doctor said if I have my ovaries removed..would be taking hormones for 10 years...till natural menapause kicks in. I would hate to leave an ovary and have a problem due to it. And my luck.It would stop functioning..and Id STILL have to take hormones...Need a sisters advice!

Endo is on ovaries, behind uterus, pressing against bowel, and have fibroids in uterus and possible adenomyosis..and pains in legs all the time now. and rectal pain..Please sisters...share your knowledge!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Some thought

Hello,

I am having a TAH on the 18th of this month which is Monday..... I also had the option of keeping or taking....

I decided to let my ovaries go. Much thought and hesitation though! My Dr. suggested going ahead and taking them and getting me regulated on hormones.

Well, my decision was to go ahead. The doctor said that there is a big possibilitly that I would develop fibroids on my ovaries too. I am only 32. You are a little closer to menopause than I.... It was a very tough decision to make but with my Dr. advice and a lot of praying my decision was to let them go.

Other post-op princesses my have a diffent view of this.... This is only MY view of the matter. Good luck with your decision. ONLY YOU can decided. It is your body!
Unread 03-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Good Luck

It sure is a hard one to answer. I had my Hyst last September and was also 42. I too had sufferd severe Endeo amongst other things.
I along with guidence decided to keep my left ovary. My surgeon told me that the right ovary was severely coverd in Endeo and she would take that, but she told me if the left one was the same she would take that also. On the chance that the left one was in good condition then I was to make the call before going into theatre. I am glad that she let me choose but it was a hard decision.
We unfortunately do not have a crystal ball so I guess it is down to alot of luck and hopefully good judgement. I did in no way want to end up on any form of HRT, and so took the risk and kept the left ovary. My surgeon told me that it was in quite good condition and touch wood would work. It does work and I have had no problems with it at all. I am not on any HRT as the ovary is doing fine. I have a slight tinge of the PMS symptons but nothing to what there used to be. Infact have lost the awful migrains that I used to have.
I know that there is a chance that Endeo will come back and that I may have to have the ovary removed at a later date, but figure that if it will work long enough to see me through menopause, then it was worth it.
It has to be your decision and one that you are totally comfortable. Everyones decisions will differ, but as long as you feel that YOU have made the best one that is all that counts. The best of luck with your surgery and please keep us posted. Hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 04:08 PM
To remove or not to remove...that is the question!

Well it's a difficult decision, but I'm having a TAH BSO on 3/21. I've had previous surgeries for endo and fibroids, and it hasn't helped long term. It also looks like I have adenomyosis, and I've had endo removed from both ovaries before. I just turned 43 yesterday, and my doctor doesn't normally recommend removing both ovaries in women under 45, but she's afraid I'll continue to have problems if I keep one. So I thought about it and decided I'm tired of this so they're both coming out. No more surgery after this and no more pain. Yeah!!! However, it's your choice and you have to decide what's best for you. I've heard a lot of stories about women who kept one ovary, then had to have it removed later. I've also heard of some women who did just fine. It depends on what you feel is right for you. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Unread 03-22-2002, 10:35 AM
thanks for the feedback..

I called my doctor and discussed the situation. He again said it is up to me ...so I opted to remove both overies.

My feeling is that, although this does not cure the endo, it will give the endo one less place to "roost"..
I just dont want that nagging aching overy to act up again.
I am 42 years old. My doctor recommended HRT the day after surgery..and then for the next 10 years..

a pill a day...if taking the ovary away! ugh.

Isnt life a challange????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register