Would you say something? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you say something? Would you say something?

Unread 07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Re: Would you say something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitopen View Post
I just had a hysterectomy 10 days ago, they removed everything except one ovary, they also removed my cervix. A week before the surgery the doctor gave me a pap smear. This is the same doctor who performed the surgery. I just received a letter stating that my pap smear was normal and reminding me to make an appointment for my next one stating that it was the best way to detect cervical cancers. This was hand signed by the surgeon AFTER he preformed my surgery, including removing my cervix! .
My gyn wants me to continue to get twice yearly paps even without my cervix. Cervical cancer cells can exist in the vagina from what I have been told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM

My doctor and hospital never called me. I had a 6 week post op checkup and that was it. That's pretty standard. I'm surprised to see multiple responses from those that received phone calls from their doctor or hospital.
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Molly, mine wants me on yearly smears too for at least the first 3 years, my GP (before she knew that) said that she wants smears at least every 2-5 years despite what recommendations are. They're called vault smears without a cervix
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM

I got a card in the mail signed by the nurses and dr/surgeon and a call from insurance to check on how I was doing, make sure I understood discharge instructions and to see if I had questions. I didnt even think about getting a call, it is a nice touch.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitopen View Post
I just had a hysterectomy 10 days ago, they removed everything except one ovary, they also removed my cervix. A week before the surgery the doctor gave me a pap smear. This is the same doctor who performed the surgery. I just received a letter stating that my pap smear was normal and reminding me to make an appointment for my next one stating that it was the best way to detect cervical cancers. This was hand signed by the surgeon AFTER he preformed my surgery, including removing my cervix!
Seriously splitopen, my view is to wean yourself slowly from this doc! Seriously!
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:22 PM

I did not get any calls either. I called them twice to ask about hormones.... which I still am NOT taking and doing GREAT!............I find this whole process so interesting. They seems to not want to deal with the psychological part of surgery..... I educated myself through this site on so many things that were never explained to me, such as , what a vaginal cuff was. I had no idea. My surgery went great and the surgeon who performed it did a wonderful "job". However, I am very disappointed on how no literature was given to me and not a lot of emotional support. I like "details" and I had to research so much of this all on my own.........
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM

No calls from anyone, none expected. I was fine without a call, I would have been shocked to have gotten one. Although it would have been a nice surprise.
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:17 AM

If the hospital had called, the first thing I'd assume is that they were wanting money.
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:35 AM

My best understanding is that this is specific to the doctor and/or hospital. I have never, ever had so much as a follow up call and I have had 8 surgeries. Some places just take better care of patients than others. Please be sure to reach out to them if you need them. They will probably be happy to help ( Dr. and his staff), if you need them.
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:33 PM

I had surg Monday am, discharged by 10 am tuesday. Nurse ( from hosp) called tues evening and again on wed. Dr called on Thursday. Follow up was already set for Tuesday. One week post op.

All the calls are a new thing related to patient satisfaction scores which tie into reimbursement the hospital receives. Expect more in the future .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register