Uterus enlarging - fibroid shrinking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterus enlarging - fibroid shrinking Uterus enlarging - fibroid shrinking

Unread 09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Uterus enlarging - fibroid shrinking

I am a 51 year old who has been through about 10 years of challenging periods with flooding, clotting and cramping. I've always known I've had fibroids, the most visible from an ultrasound was the size of a lemon. Just about every doctor I have gone to has wanted to perform a hysterectomy but I really wanted to try to keep my uterus. A year and a half ago my ultrasound showed my uterus as being a 3 month size with a 4.6 cm X 4.9 cm submucous fibroid. I had a heavy period in January, then in February I started getting hot flashes and no period. I was kicking up my heels thinking that I had made it to menopause and my fibroids would start shrinking. My hot flashes stopped after about 3 weeks. I spotted some until I had another period in July. I had my pap smear and an endometrial biopsy done in August along with another ultrasound. My biopsy was benign but my ultrasound showed that my fibroid had shrunk slightly to the size of a golf ball but my uterus was now a 4 month size. (15X8.5X8.2cm) My endometrial stripe has been thick (about 1.8 cm) for about 7 years. The doctor thinks I definitely need a hysterectomy due to my abnormal bleeding (spotting) and the fact that my uterus has enlarged. She was fearful that something might be hiding behind my fibroid. After the endometrial biopsy I had a heavy crampy period. I did go for a second opinion and that doctor just felt that my uterus had probably enlarged due to other fibroids that were hidden in the ultrasound. He didn't think there was any fear of anything cancerous but he did say that if I were his patient he would encourage me to get a hysterectomy so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.

I don't fear the surgery itself as much as I fear what might happen after - such as my other organs prolapsing after there is the space left where my uterus used to be. Also, physically, I feel VERY GOOD right now. I feel I have come through the worst of my heavy periods. The only inconvenience is the spotting.

My fear if I don't have the surgery, how much bigger will my uterus grow and if I don't do anything will I be damaging my other organs with my continually growing uterus? I've also read that adenomyosis causes your uterus to enlarge and that sometimes goes hand in hand with fibroids. I REALLY am trying to make it to menopause. That would cure a lot!! However, I do not want to be stubborn if it truly needs to come out.

Anyone have a similar situation or know of a procedure I should try? Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Hi Caren,

I can sympathize with your situation since I was a fibroid lady in pre-op. I agree with your Dr. about not being fearful of cancer. My Dr. told me that cancerous uterine fibroids only occur in approx. 1% of women.

I also agree with your Dr. that other smaller fibroids might be hiding. My Dr. told me the same thing after he read my ultrasound. He saw my two large fibroids and he felt there were smaller ones lurking in the shadows that the ultrasound did not pick up.

Has your Dr. possibly gone over alternative procedures such as an Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)?? From what I understand, the procedure shrinks the fibroids significantly if a success. I was not a good candidate since both my Drs thought my large fibroids would grow back since I was still a few years out from menopause. With your onset of menopause, you may be a better candidate. Also, possibly you are a candidate for a myomectomy, a surgery with removal of the fibroids only?? Uterus is left intact. Just some ideas.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

In my case, I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive hyst. Lupron causes temporary chemical menopause. Possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as laparoscopic hyst, as mentioned on the Hyster Sisters link.

Best wishes. Just ask your questions and we Hyster Sisters will do our best to help. Do not feel alone.

Mary
Unread 09-05-2005, 11:33 AM

I'm 18 months menpausal and 50. I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy that found at least ONE HUGE fibroid cantaloupe/15 week pregnancy. I'm asymptomatic. I too was told to have a TAH. I'm getting a second opinion and I will be trying other stuff to see if I can shrink it. Apparently this sucker has been growing over the past 4-5 years when I was perimenopausal to menopausal. Go figure. In another post(s) I mentioned that I would be trying Neprinol...I'm a guinea pig I guess. I may also try natural progesterone since I believe I'm still estrogen dominant and understand that in many instances natural progesterone can shrink a fibroid. There is much controversy on this and thus if I see any negative signs, the progesterone will be the first to go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register