Help!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Help!!

Hi! I'm new here, this is my first posting. My surgery date is coming up soon and I'm getting nervous. So many questions whirling through my head. I've had surgeries before but this is life altering. I'm nervous about hrt and what effects it will have on me. I seem to be very sensitive to estrogen. I'm nervous because I'll have one more period before my surgery and it's so painful. I am unable to do anything for days during my period. I have to take many pain pills in order to cope. I feel like I'm going out of control right now. I've gained quite a bit of weight and no matter what I eat, I can't get rid of it, I just keep gaining. Because of feeling tired all the time, I have no engery to exercise. When I do have good days, which are less and less, I try to do so much to catch up for the days I was unable to do anything. I feel like such an old lady and I'm only 39! Is this all normal? I believe I have endometriosis, which I believe is the main culprit in my symptoms. My right ovary is also a major problem. I feel bloated all the time. I could eat salad everyday for a month and still not lose an ounce of fat. Does anyone else suffer from this also? Could it be from the endometriosis? I'm just finding myself getting more and more disgusted with myself and how I look, that I don't even bother to try anymore. I guess I'm depressed. Hormones or fear? Both? Everyone I've talked to says I'll feel so much better afterwards. In reading some of the postings, I'm getting a little nervous about the pain afterwards. I guess it will be better than what I'm already going through constantly. Anyone who could shed some light and maybe is going through the same or has been through it, please let me know all will work out in the end. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2003, 02:57 PM
I know how you feel

murfers,

I am a bit older than you (44) but have been dealing with much the same thing you are. I just had my SAH, but can definitely relate to your situation. Three doctors have now heard me complain about how I've gained 50 lbs of unexplained weight in the past 2 years. I was miserable the night before surgery because I was told NO IBUPROFEN. It had become impossible for me to sleep without taking 3 ibuprofen every night. This is coming from someone who does not eat bonbons all day long. I consume about 1200 calories a day (I'm 5 ft. 8) and STILL I gain weight. I get up every day in pain, do gentle stretching for 10 min, walk 2 miles, eat light breakfast (half a bagel and half a peach), mow/weed lawn or do whatever housework needs done, have diet sprite and sandwich for lunch (no chips or french fries), more housework or research, dinner of entree, salad and water, no desserts all day, etc. I am lactose intolerant so I don't sit and eat pints of ice cream. I just had my 750 gram fibroid uterus removed and am dealing pretty well with the post-op swelling. I know it will take time to heal but like you, I have been miserable with my body and image so much that my husband thinks I don't love him anymore. It really is depressing. Despite what the health professionals say (or don't say, in my case), I believe that once my body heals from the trauma of surgery and I get back to the walking 2 miles a day routine, things will turn around. I'm not doing any "formal" walking yet, just around the house, up and down stairs. I sure hope I look better than I did pre-op before I have to go back to work. I did ask my DR before the surgery if once this estrogen-fed tissue was removed, would my overall body fat change? she said no - I don't believe her.. I hope some of the others out there had similar situations and beat the fat monster after surgery.
Unread 07-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Help!!

murfers,

I am 38 and know exactly the way you feel. When is your hyst and what type are you having if you know? I am having a TAH/BSO/LOA 9/23/03 so I will also have another major visit from Aunt Flo before I head to the castle. For years I could not lose weight and I tried everything but I also had a problem with no being able to sweat. Now, I sweat like...well you know and in March of this year I joined a women's only gym called Curve's. I not only have a period monthly but I only get about 3 days before my next round of starts again. Most days I feel like I have a lead ball inside my gut and it is uncomfortable just to walk somedays.

I am going into my hyst knowing what the risks are and trusting in my and God to get me through to the other side and a chance at a normal pain and flo free life.

Maybe what you need is a second opinion just to confirm in your mind that this is something you truely need, after all it is major surgery and you can not go back afterwords. Read all you can and above all you must feel confident in yourself and your doctor. The rest will fall into place as it should.

Welcome to hyster sisters and don't be afraid to ask questions.

s

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Help!!

Hello LIW-
Oh, your stories sound so familiar! Have you ever been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? I would recommend doing a search here of PCO or PCOS. A lot of the things you are describing sound like PCOS. Many women have PCOS and don't know it. It makes losing weight very difficult. Also it causes pain and you can be insulin resistant. After doing a little research, ask your Dr about this.

Please don't worry about the recovery pain. I had periods that were way more uncomfortable and painful, honest to goodness! Yes, it is a pain, but you get better everyday. And even if you have post surgical complications, you are over the worst part, the waiting! just be sure to follow your Dr's orders to the letter!

Hang in there- go through with your surgery and you will be a new woman in a couple of months! You will have a whole new life to live...pain free! Period Free!

Best Wishes
Unread 07-28-2003, 12:23 PM
murfers

I think everybody in here, worries about the pain .. Just remember the pain you go through every month .... year after year...YeS there will be pain and probably allot... but look beond that, that pain will deminish after surgery, the other ((WILL NOT)) I know I am made the right choice... it all goes and not soon enough for me .. I don't go in until Aug 22 unless he get's an opening... I am praying he will ...
Good Luck
Enjoli
Unread 07-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Thank yous to all!

I appreciate the support from you all. I know what I'm doing is right. I can hardly wait to get it over with. It seems each day is getting worse symptom wise. I just seem to be living in a fog. My hormones are all over the board! I would just like to be more stale like a few months ago. I'm also hoping this weight issue will be resolved. Or at least all the bloating will be gone, I hope. I'm also hoping afterwards I'll have more energy and will actually want to exercise. It's amazing what havoc these body parts can cause. Endometriosis is pure Evil!! I'm just finding it very hard to concentrate lately at work and am making some stupid mistakes. My boss is the sweetest and he's feeling badly for me and hopes this will be over with soon. My mother is also coming down from CT. to help me out for a couple of weeks. It's just nice to know I'm not alone, although sometimes it may feel that way. Thanks to you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register