How can so much pain come from a normal looking uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How can so much pain come from a normal looking uterus? How can so much pain come from a normal looking uterus?

Unread 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
How can so much pain come from a normal looking uterus?

I just got my last u/s report saying that my uterus looks normal? How did that happen, it was larger at the last u/s a few months back, but my pains have not changed and infact are more intense. The report didn't have the measurement, just said that uterus is normal and I have a cyst on the right ovary. My Gyn sent back for the measurements to compare with the last one. Can a uterus shrink?
My question is if it looks ok, how do they know it needs to be removed? I thought that your uterus was large when you had adeno.
I'm so nervous, I'm praying that I have made the right decision to have the LAVH, but what if it's healthy? ugh...
My surgery is days away, I am still trying to find a way to feel better and not have any kind of surgery, maybe I am just a big chicken

Thanks,
Ginge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Re: How can so much pain come from a normal looking uterus?

I am not 100% sure on this, but I don't believe that a regular ultra sound can pick up fibroids. I have had pain for years and always been told I had a huge uterus at every ultra sound and that it was likely due to having 4 kids, and larger babies at that.
When my gyn did the internal ultra sound, that is when she picked up on all the fibroids. You might want to ask yours about that. I am not sure, but seems to have been the case with me. Or, maybe mine just grew very fast since my last ultra sound a year ago!
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Ginge -

You are my TRUE HysterSister - We are twins!

Despite my period lasting two weeks every two weeks and severe pain, by uterus is normal with one ovary having a cyst. I do know from a previous surgery that I have adhesions which my Dr. feels "could" be the culprit to my pain as she will not rule that out. My Dr. suggested the LSH procedure which I am on the fence about as I am trying to wrap my brain around not having a concrete diagnosis for the surgery.

I've been going crazy researching online and not coming up with much.

I've tried BC pills to no avail and DNC with polyps removed last year, but I am now no better off than I was a year ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM

Just some thoughts...
Endometriosis and adhesions are not likely seen on ultrasounds. Even fibroids can be missed.
There is just no perfect way for a dr to really know what's going on inside without taking a look. The fact that you're in pain means something is going on...
I had an exploratory lap done prior to my hyst. Funny thing was that I had an ultrasound 2 months prior, and a ct scan one month prior and neither reported that my ovaries were stuck by adhesions and out of place; one was stuck to my pelvic wall and the other to my uterus, wrapping around the back...how was this missed? Hard to believe it just happened that fast.
So, one other option for you could be to have an exploratory laproscopy done first. Ask your dr about it. Recovery for me was less than a week.
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Omgosh, I love this board! Thank you all so much
I have also had 4 babies, 1 section and the heaviest ones were natural... how fair is that?
I have also been told that my uterus is larger, and directly related to having the 4 kids. I can feel it, I swear that sometimes I have cervix pain? Its weird that the last u/s sound said everything looked normal, but maybe because it was not an internal?
I have more bad days in a month than good days. I feel like a chronic pill popper since sometimes thats the only way to get through a day, even if it means feeling foggy. I cancel and rebook things at the last minute because things can just happen that quickly. I have a full time job on top of running a busy household. I think I am going crazy most days aside from all of this.
Yay!! I have a Twin Hystersister!! Do you have a date booked Sunny Daze? I'm nervous to lose this right ovary if it doesn't shape up, its going to have to ship out..lol
I have had a few laps done to remove adhesions, and diagnostics. I've taken BCP and found it didn't really change anything. I will just start to bleed whenever it seems. I also tried the NuvaRing. That failed because as the hormone wears off my pains increased. Other than that it was so easy!
First shopping trip is going to be for a pair of white pants, I hate white pants for the most part they always look so tacky... but mark my words I am having a pair and I'm going to wear them proudly... cause I will be able too!
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Hi Ginge!

Hello HysterTwin! I don't have a surgery date as my next move is to get a complete hormone profile this week and am not ruling out my thyroid as well. At my last Dr appointment we discussed the LSH and she wanted me to seriously think about it before I called her again which has given me much needed time to absorb all of this. This has been a bit overwhelming for me and it really threw me for a loop that I didn't have a "concrete" diagnosis, hence the hormone profile.

If my hormones come back A-OK then I will proceed with the LSH as this is NO way to live life!!!!! Not sure I will be buying those white pants, but I will gladly get some fancy dancy panties and maybe go over the edge and get matching bras!!!

I will keep you posted!!!!!

Sunny
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:46 AM

Hi Ginge - I hope you are doing well and on the road to a smooth recovery! Thinking of you HysterSister!
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks Sunny!
I go in tomorrow, I am nervous, but anxious too.
Fingers crossed
How are you feeling?
You're right this is no way to live, and I keep telling myself that. I can't wait to not feel like dirt for most days.
I hear ya on the white pants, I think I just want a pair, but it'll have to be a pair of capri's so I look less creepy.
I am definately doing some mass panty shopping too, and why not, throw some matching bra's in just because
Hope all is well with you too!
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Ginge,

my uterus also seemed to be normal to slightly enlarged on ultrasounds even with 2 good sized fibroids and lots of "speckles and 2 different doctors said it felt normal on their internal exams. My new gyn said it felt a bit enlarged to her. When she did the hysterectomy, she found another couple of fibroids that hadn't shown up on the transvaginal ultrasound, one large enough that she had to remove it to do my TVH. She also said that she wouldn't be surprised if my uterus was double the normal weight. So, yes, a "normal" uterus can actually end up being more abnormal than they thought and can certainly cause that much pain! I have had NO pain in 2 weeks since the surgery.
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Oh Marika! I am so happy for you being pain free!
I am in tomorrow, and I am praying all goes smoothly, and although pain free is my goal, I would be pretty happy with pain control!
Maybe thats what all this heaviness, feeling full abdominally is, maybe it's just a chubby uterus..lol

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register