LSH Travel advice 6 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Travel advice 6 weeks post hysterectomy Travel advice 6 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 05-02-2017, 03:24 AM
Travel advice 6 weeks post hysterectomy

Hi all,
First of all thank you so much for this sight. I don't think we get so much information these days and in my case no follow up,so it's difficult to know what to expect. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago only uterus and a fibrocoma removed from one of the ovaries. Recoverery has been good,I had keyhole surgery with an additional small abdo incision. I have quite an active job so have taken the max time off. At the end of this week I am going away solo to see a friend. this entails a flight of about 3 hours. Last night I weighed my main luggage bag I thought I would take and it weights about 6kg empty. Decided not to take that. Guess I'll have to take a very light weight bag and travel very light. Love dressing up when away but guess that's limited this time. Any suggestions or anyone had a similar experience post recovery.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Re: Travel advice 6 weeks post hysterectomy

Are you still on weight restrictions? My doc raised mine to 30 lbs (14 kg) at four weeks and lifted them entirely at six weeks. At six weeks, I could easily go into the archives area at work at take a couple of 30-40 lb boxes (14-18 kg) down off the shelves. (At eight weeks I spent a couple of hours slinging boxes around reorganized the entire area.)
Unread 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Hi! I had my surgery right after you. I spoke to my surgeon, as I am going away this weekend- flying from South Florida to Buffalo, NY- and, for what it's worth, my surgeon said that was fine, and he didn't have any concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Are you still on weight restrictions? My doc raised mine to 30 lbs (14 kg) at four weeks and lifted them entirely at six weeks. At six weeks, I could easily go into the archives area at work at take a couple of 30-40 lb boxes (14-18 kg) down off the shelves. (At eight weeks I spent a couple of hours slinging boxes around reorganized the entire area.)
My goodness that sounds a quick recovery. Unfortunately I don't have specific weight restrictions give, so I am guided by generic advice which says nothing heavier than 3.3kg after 6 weeks. I did ask about flying and that's fine. Main concern weight as a single traveller but don't want to be too precious. Still some minor aches.
Unread 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM

I'm interested to know where you got the generic advice about nothing heavier than 3.3 kg *after* 6 weeks. Generally I've heard people say that they were told not lift anything more than "a gallon of milk" (8.6 lbs, 3.9 kg) or 10 lbs (4.5 kg) for the *first* six weeks, but after that their limits were raised.

The only time I've heard of people being given such strict lifting limits *after* six weeks was in cases were prolapse was an issue or had a high probability of becoming an issue.

Or... did you get this information in written form? Is there a possibility that the decimal point was a typo and it's supposed to be 33 kg after six weeks? That would make more sense.
Unread 05-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Generic advice in NHS literature in UK...It says equivalent to 3 litre bottles of water....
Unread 05-02-2017, 10:42 AM

http://www.bfwh.nhs.uk/wp-content/up...5/08/PL970.pdf - page 22: "Don't lift or carry anything heavier than a kettle full of water, this is around 8-10 lbs or 3-4 kg for 6 weeks. Heavy lifting should always be avoided."

In other words, the strict lifting limit of 3-4 kg applies to the first 6 weeks only.

I poked around other NHS literature on-line and couldn't find anything that required a similar limit *after* six weeks.

I'm not arguing with you, but I think there's a real possibility here that your restrictions at six weeks may be looser than you think they are.
Unread 05-02-2017, 12:55 PM

My lifting restrictions are in place till 8 week appointment. According to my doctor, laparoscopic surgery uses fusion instead of actual sutures so they are easier to damage with lifting.
Unread 05-02-2017, 01:15 PM

I had an LAVH as well, and all of my lifting restrictions were lifted at 6 weeks. If I lifted too much it hurt, and I stopped.
Unread 05-02-2017, 02:48 PM

i had an lsh and was released at 2 weeks. you should be fine traveling. you can always ask for help at the airfport if you dont feel comfortable lifting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register