Scheduled SAH Abdominal muscles - cut/severed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal muscles - cut/severed? Abdominal muscles - cut/severed?

Unread 06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Abdominal muscles - cut/severed?

This feels a bit of a daft question to be asking but how do they get under the abdominal muscles into your internals?

I horse ride and it's really important to have strong core and 'six pack' muscles. In some of the cartoon hysterectomy animations I've watched these get cut right across!

How on earth am I ever going to regain a good core tone if that happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Re: Abdominal muscles - cut/severed?

You ask a very good and valid question. I didn't have an abdominal hysterectomy so I don't know from experience. I did find an old thread that discusses it and maybe that will help you a little until someone comes along who can better answer your question.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=355249

Of course, you should also ask your doctor what is planned for you so you'll know what to expect.

Best wishes!

Deb
Unread 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM

They do cut thru your rectus muscles in your abdomen. I tell my patients all the time that you didn't even know that muscle was there until it's been severed. My suggestion to you is that after your surgery, you start using those muscles as soon as possible. This can be as simple as making sure you turn from side to side every 2 hours (have the nurses help you...putting pillows around you to help support you is wonderful), using the right technique when you get out of the bed the first few times, and when you begin walking in the hallways, be sure to stand straight up and not hunched over. I couldn't believe the discomfort after my c sections so when I scheduled the hysterectomy, I asked my doctor to pull and tighten those muscles as he was closing each layer.....I was rolling on my own the same night and had NO problem getting out of bed the next day!!! Good luck to you :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM

That is a great question for your doctor. A number of our sisters have reported that their ab muscles were separated, not cut.
Unread 06-08-2009, 06:59 PM

I should have added that there are many different types of incisions; the majority of which require the cutting of the rectus muscle....the smaller incisions can be separated..but nonetheless, definitely something to discuss with your doctor. Like I said, mine tightened mine for me..it was awesome ;-)
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:47 PM

I've got it on the list of questions for the Gyn today Thanks for the replies and the anatomical knowledge. I'm working with a physiotherapist just now to get my core tone as strong as possible, allowing for my pain levels, before the surgery. He works in the hospital as well so I'll ask if he'll bear in mind the right exercises for me given my sport and the incision type so I can start as soon as possible afterwards.
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessRN View Post
I should have added that there are many different types of incisions; the majority of which require the cutting of the rectus muscle....the smaller incisions can be separated..but nonetheless, definitely something to discuss with your doctor. Like I said, mine tightened mine for me..it was awesome ;-)
I really must take exception with your use of "the majority" here. I have had four abdominal surgeries in my adult life, and none of them involved cutting muscles. In all cases, the muscles were retracted. I think you will find that most (((sisters))) will find that their abdominal surgiers did not require this, either.

I have had two c-sections (one a vertical cut from pubic bone to navel) and my hysterectomy/panniculectomy which was a hip-to-hip incision. My hematoma surgery involved my same hysterectomy incision, but only about half of the length.

I specifically asked about cutting muscles with my TAH surgeon at the Mayo Clinic, and she said, "We do not cut muscles. That would only create more difficulties." My surgical report supported her statement by going into great detail about the retraction of the muscles.

There are probably cases where muscles are in fact cut; however, I do not believe this is the norm for a hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register