Any suggestions?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any suggestions?? Any suggestions??

Unread 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Any suggestions??

Ok so my hyster is in 5 days and there's a lot of colds and stuff going around at the school where my kids go. I have been using disenfecting wipes all around the house on top of the kids using antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer. I've been washing my hands so much they are chapped! I also for the past week have been taking a multivitamin and drink orange juice daily. Is there anything else I can take to protect myself from getting sick before Monday? I can't risk having the surgery postponed as the hospital is going to be redoing the surgery rooms so this is last surgery date until may. I also loose my insurance the last day of April so I need to make sure that I can go through with my surgery on Monday. Any suggestions are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Re: Any suggestions??

Gargle with salt water - although it sounds like an old wives' tale, there is evidence it has merit. I found this blurb explaining why:

To combat a scratchy throat add half a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. "The salt draws out excess water in your throat’s tissues, reducing the inflammation, and clears mucous and irritants from the back of the throat," notes Philip Hagen, MD, medical editor in chief of Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies. The rinse also flushes out bacteria and viruses, which may help whether you’re getting a cold or want to prevent one in the first place.

Good luck with surgery!
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM

Be careful with the vitamins, you may want to check with your surgeon and make sure those are ok. I just saw on 'The Doctors' you should not drink orange juice for your health because of it being processed and having extra sugar, instead eat whole fresh oranges. Otherwise for the week or so before my surgery I just did not go ANYWHERE that wasn't necessary. I was also very careful about kissing and such and turned my kids into mad hand washers....lol Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM

I think what the others have said makes sense. Staying away from people who might be sick is key. I also suggest you contact your doc about the vitamins because I was told to discontinue any vitamins or supplements before surgery. Each doc/hospital have their own pre-op steps and that was one of mine. It might not be for you.
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:49 PM

The doctors office said I can take them up to Saturday evening so that's when I will stop. Yes I don't plan to leave th house until surgery except Friday to t last minute things from the store. My family is all going out Saturday evening to a big buffet and the. Then a reunion in an indoor hall. My thoughts are I'm not risking it to go of the fact o my cousins kids are always sick and there will be over 200 people crammed into that hall breathing on each other lol. Might sound crazy but I've been waiting for his surgery for a long long time and can risk it at this point! Thanks everyone for your help
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Any suggestions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoStar View Post
Gargle with salt water - although it sounds like an old wives' tale, there is evidence it has merit. I found this blurb explaining why:

To combat a scratchy throat add half a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. "The salt draws out excess water in your throat’s tissues, reducing the inflammation, and clears mucous and irritants from the back of the throat," notes Philip Hagen, MD, medical editor in chief of Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies. The rinse also flushes out bacteria and viruses, which may help whether you’re getting a cold or want to prevent one in the first place.

Good luck with surgery!
Thanks so much! It won't hurt so I will definetly try this.
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmj1985 View Post
Thanks so much! It won't hurt so I will definetly try this.
You're welcome. I was also determined not to get sick before surgery. I avoided other people as much as possible, and did the warm salt water gargle a couple times each day. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so you should be fine.
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM

I avoided people at all costs and washed my hands like crazy pre-op as well. Don't touch your face at all unless you've washed your hands as well as that's how you usually transfer the germs. I think staying away from large gatherings is a good thing, as well stay away from dairy as much as possible as this causes mucous.
Good luck, and I hope you stay healthy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register