Pre-op appt and Dr. can't talk!!! ARRGGHH!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op appt and Dr. can't talk!!! ARRGGHH!! Pre-op appt and Dr. can't talk!!! ARRGGHH!!

Unread 01-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Pre-op appt and Dr. can't talk!!! ARRGGHH!!

Yesterday I had my pre-op appt.. Walked in anxious, afraid, had a ton of questions on my list and DH by my side, and was greeted by the nurse & rec. telling me that the Dr. has severe laryngitis(sp?) and can barely even whisper!!! Help!!! he was very apologetic and tried to answer all my doubts, but really had trouble talking. He kept apologizing - but gosh, isn't that just my luck?? He said several times that he wasn't trying to blow me off, just didn't have any voice left! Both DH and I do have confidence in this Dr., but I really needed a bunch of reassurances and just didn't get them from a man who could barely whisper. I'm so uncertain about this surgery and the recovery but it is truly my only option given my symptons. This just adds to the anxiety! I do have to add that he had spent about 1 1/2 with DH and me last week talking about this, but the closer the date gets (the 20th!!!!) the more nervous I become.
Thanks for listening to me whine! Speaking of wine - at least Dr. has sense of humor. When he was explaning my involved Bowel Prep - which includes only clear liquids the entire DAY before surgeryas well as that yummy stuff you have to drink and 2 different antibiotics, he told DH that champagne (in the morning)is a clear liquid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 06:55 AM

forgot to add - TAH BSO with vertical incision for solid ovarian mass with blood supply and uterine hyperplasia with atypia
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:11 AM

dear dreamin,

would it be possible to fax/deliver a list of your remaining questions to him and have a phone conversation at least before your surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 07:15 AM
He did cover all my questions....

just wasn't able to go into all the detail I would have liked... or maybe I just wanted him to talk to me long enough that I started feeling better about this - which could have had me in the office for the next month or year... I think I wanted answers that he can't give till the actual surgery because I'm afraid and want certainty... just feeling very sorry for myself I think... Thanks Gals!
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Hi Dreamin,

It must have been frustrating for you to not be able to have your doctor communicate with you. My own doctor wasn't very communicative, and he didn't even have laryngitis.

That need for reassurance is so normal. And I couldn't find it anywhere but here. My family and friends got so tired of me talking about the surgery, that I finally just shut up and turned to Hyster Sisters for reassurance and support.

So, feel free to hang out with us as much as possible. And just maybe your doctor's voice will return soon and you can talk to him too. (Have you tried the nurse? My surgeon's nurse was just a wonderful source of information for me!)

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:34 AM
I like the fax idea

Now what would really be cool is to get the doc on AOL instant messenger and have a real time online conversation. Just a thought there but technology is a wonderful thing sometimes LOL!

Some docs do have email set up to communicate with patients. Saw an article about this being the wave of the future and docs who do have email set up can deal with simple questions and provide reassurance faster than waiting for free time between appointments to call back patients. Avoids the answering machine telephone tag too.

I did have access to one of my infertility docs this way and it was great. Change the dosage of the meds, whip off an email telling me what to do. And I could refer back to the email when it was time for DH to load up the syringe and mix the powder with the saline.

Be nice if my new gyn had this email system happening. Cut down on the nurse's work load too.
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:19 PM

Hi Dreamin'! I also have surgery on the 20th. I know exactly how you feel. I so wanted to call my DR for an appointment just for more reassurance and to make absolutely certain this is the right thing. I know it is, just feel as if I need the reassurance. I will see my DR before surgery. Will you? Maybe that would help.

Michelle
Unread 01-19-2003, 10:24 AM

Here is one link about faxing your dr. a message. If the dr's belong they get the e-mail and can reply. If the dr's don't belong they send a fax. They advise using it for routine questions about appt's, scripts, etc but they advise on the site that "This MessageCenter is for non-urgent requests which do not require therapeutic or medical decisions. Messages retrieved during normal office hours only." http://mdhub.com/
Unread 01-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Happy, may I be the first to tell you

this is absolutely brilliant detective work with that link! Thank you!

Bookmarked it and already found two of my docs in the link's network. This is going to be really valuable to me.
Unread 01-19-2003, 02:59 PM
It's okay :)

I had tah/bso on the 8th with a 10 inch vertical incision. ASK FOR A BELLY BINDER/BELT!!! They are a godsend. Helps with coughing and moving.Also had a tummy tuck, hope it works. Good luck and waiting and wondering IS THE WORST! s Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register