post-op diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-25-2003, 09:49 AM
post-op diet

Hi Ladies
I am waiting for surgery this friday, Jan 31. I was wondering...what will be acceptable food to eat after this is over. I would like to begin a new way of eating. I have horrible food habits and want to take better care of my self in this area to start.
This would be helpful. What would be a easy diet to start off with?
Never have had major surgery so I don't know what to expect.
Thanks
Laa Laa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi Laa Laa,

You'll probably want to start off with bland foods, as anything spicy can upset your tummy after surgery. I ate some tator tots with ketchup one week post-op, and got so sick!! Soups, puddings, etc. would be a good idea for awhile.

You want to avoid food which can cause gas or constipation, such as beans, raw veggies, cheese, peanut butter, etc.

You may also not have much appetite at first. It took about 2 weeks before I even wanted to eat anything. I mostly lived off of ice cream for awhile. (Major chocolate cravings!!)

Try doing a search for the word "food" and see what you might find that can give you more ideas.

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-25-2003, 10:44 AM
post-op diet

Hello Laa Laa,

I remember right after my first surgery, I could only eat cereal for a few days and maybe toast. You really don't seem to have much appetite. You also want to be careful any way due to CONSTIPATION - something that is GROSSLY UNDERSTATED with this surgery as I've had three surgeries and let me tell you, it feels like you're trying to push a solid brick through a tiny hole!

Drink A LOT of water, when the sisters say this, they mean it! And use stool softeners right away. I like natural kinda stuff so my husband bought me this organic peach juice and I mixed one to two spoonfuls of mineral oil into it and drank it. You couldn't tell it had the oil in it because the juice was so thick.

Tread lightly sister - don't overdo the food or you'll be really uncomfortable. Also, don't drink soda for a few days either.

Sending you hugs and best wishes!
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Healthy eating

I agree that you will want to eat lightly and take stool softeners in the beginning. I had clear liquids for starters, then soft foods and then added solid foods. It took me over a week to get onto normal foods but I was extra cautious because I have bowel disease.

This is definitely a good time to change your eating habits. You are making a huge change in your life and good eating will help your healing. You might want to visit the B.E.S.T. forum here for ideas. Think now about what you want to do for the long term so you can be prepared. Healthy food, smaller portions, lots of fresh foods and veggies in addition to the GALLONS of water you will be drinking will get you off to a good start.

Joselle
Unread 01-25-2003, 01:53 PM
post op diet

the last time I had surgery I could only eat these mango fruit coctails and crackers for a month. Everything else made me sick. but after a hysterectomy I heard its best to eat soft food and take stool softeners. So I guess maybe it depends on how you feel and how sore you are. I'm not sure maybe your doctor will put you on a special diet. anyway good luck next week. Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register