Overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-06-2000, 05:41 PM
Overwhelmed

Ok, I've been discussing this whole thing with my doc for a couple of months now but it just seems like it's all happening so fast now. I am having my surgery tomorrow in the a.m. and all of a sudden I am feeling scared and alone. I just found this site a couple of days ago and wish I knew about it sooner. Suddenly I am questioning if this is the right thing to do. I guess I know it really is but I guess I'm just being emotional. Anyway, I will be in touch with everyone as soon as I can. Thanks to all the thoughts and prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2000, 05:48 PM
Overwhelmed

Wow. Tomorrow is soon.

Do you have all the logistics taken care of? Child/pet care? A ride there & back? Groceries and meds stocked up? Loose clothes to wear? Friends notified? If you're all caught up just take it easy and try to rest.

As for wondering if it's the right thing, maybe do the pros/cons list just to be sure. I know it's the right thing for *me*, but remember, you can always just not show up if you really don't want it. It's not like they'll send the surgery police after you.

If you have any questions, ask away. Be sure to read some of the stories on the pull-down lists (on the home page: https://www.hystersisters.com), and of course the bedtime stories - very cute!

Hang in there!
Unread 12-06-2000, 06:30 PM
Overwhelmed

I second the pros and cons list! My TAH isn't scheduled until
January 8th and it seems like every day since I scheduled the surgery I have to make peace with it all over again and yet before I actually scheduled the surgery (but after I had talked to the Doc. about doing it) I had no doubts at all that this was the right course.

The night before last I was talking with my sweetie and questioning again whether I was doing the right thing. So he asked me to list the reasons I didn't want to do it and then he asked me to list the reasons I did. When I was done, there was very little question (now why didn't I write down that **** list!)

Anyway, I suspect we all wonder if it's the right thing to do, if we didn't wonder, at least a little, then I'd worry. You need to be sure before you go in there tomorrow that you understand your reasons for doing it (maybe write them down) so that when you're recovering and you wonder why you're putting yourself through this, you can remember.

But that's just a thought.

Take care and the best, best, best luck tomorrow, whatever you do.

Becca
----
TAH 1/9/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2000, 07:48 PM
Do the math

Speaking of pros and cons... a few days back we went over figuring out the number of days you'll be out of commission while recovering, vs. the number of days you'd be messed up *without* having a hyst. In my case it came down to 6-8 weeks, vs. about 3 years worth of days I'd be feeling bad if I didn't have a hyst.

I bumped the thread just now - it's called something like Pre-op second thoughts.

Have fun!
Unread 12-06-2000, 08:09 PM
math

Linda,

I did my math and you wouldn't believe it....My mom was 50 when she started into menopause and it took her 8 years to finish...making her 58 at the time. That is 22 years from now for me. I figured my cycles last 10 days with 7 days prior of bi*chyness, bloating, bile attacks, etc. making a total of 17 days out of each month that I am miserable. That is 204 days out of 365 a year! Multiply that 204 by the 22 years and it is a whopping 4488! That is a little over 12 years of suffering!

I took this information with me to the doctor on Monday and he could not believe it. I had 9 pro's and only 2 cons. The cons I listed were, 1. no more kids but I can't have anymore anyway. 2. recovery time of up to 8 weeks. but compared to 4488 please don't even try.

He was very impressed that I had taken this much time to consider all of my options and figure out all of this.

Just goes to show you what a determined woman will do.

Unread 12-06-2000, 10:16 PM
Overwhelmed

I think somewhre in the last 2 wks. pre op we all question if we are doing the right thing. I fought for a hyster for years and I found myself wondering toward my surgery date, if I was just "being a baby" and really didn't need a hyster at all. It didn't help that my Dr. and 2nd opinion Dr. (idiot) fought me all the way.
Now I am 8 wks. post op, through what would have been my 3rd period since surgery this week and can tell you without a doubt that this is the best decision I have EVER made for myself.
I no longer have to worry about planning around my cycles, missing work because I am prisoner to the bathroom, or cancelling plans because my period came a few days early. I finally have control of my life back, instead of my body controlling it.
I have no doubt that once you are home for a few weeks, you will feel the same way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register