TAH Does anyone relate to this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone relate to this Does anyone relate to this

Unread 10-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Does anyone relate to this

Up until yesterday I felt well in myself other than the healing pain. Yesterday I walked to shop and felt sick last night. I also over ate during the day and again today I have been comfort eating. This in turn is making me feel bloated and tired but it is almost as if I can't stop myself. I'm feeling low today and had horrible sweats during night (first time). I need to snap out of it and feel I should do but then went and ate a pack of biscuits.
Has this happened to anyone else and how did you stop it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Re: Does anyone relate to this

The first month or so, you can have setbacks. Don't beat yourself up over it. Maybe the next time you take a walk, walk a little less for a day or two.

After about a month, I never collapsed during the day and I very rarely did any comfort eating. Some women do report spells of exhaustion past the first month post-op.
Unread 10-24-2012, 05:30 AM

Do you think you might have a little germ brewing? Anyone near you had the sniffles or similar?
I'm bad at comfort eating when I feel a bit sick, doesn't help the sickness that's for sure. It's sometimes a sign of low blood sugar - have you tried swapping the biccies for some fruit (fresh or dried), wholegrain cereal, nuts? It might release the sugars a little slower and reduce the cravings. I also cut out potatoes, pasta, white rice as these make me bloaty. I started having old fashioned jelly after dinner with cut fruit set in it, a much nicer way of getting fruit with a little naughty sugar fix too!
I found that I needed a lot more calories when I was healing and ate more but didn't put weight on. This stopped after about week 6 and then I had to be really careful what I was scoffing. It doesn't help that I was less mobile and therefore using less calories in a normal day. (not started back to jogging yet)
We all know the right answer is to stop buying the biccies and chocs but hey, we deserve some pleasures in life through this recovery process!!
Hope you feel better soon x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Very good question. I started out with really good food post op and in last 2 days I have eaten 2 packets of chocolate biscuits and 2 bars of chocolate. Pluss all the good stuff. I must have more will power!
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM

I've heard of phantom periods. would it have been that time of month?
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM

My appetite is off too. Opposite of you, though. I normally eat (I love food) I'm a carb o holic. Since my surgery (two weeks ago tomorrow) I haven't had much of an appetite. One day I ate like I normally do and I got so constipated it was a huge mistake, I'm back to barely eating. I expect many of our "normal" body functions will be a little off for a while. Try eating some fruit or veggies for a snack (they're less filling and less sugar). Of course I don't practice what I preach. Good luck to you - keep your chin up : ) Don't beat yourself up. Listen to your body and try to be patient. Best wishes ~
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Ive experienced the same thing, and I thought about the phantom period angle. I had all the symptoms includings cravings, mood swings, breast soreness. I assumed it was because I have one ovary left but I'm not sure.
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM

My period would have been due this week but it feels like I have lost control over my eating. I do wonder whether I still have a supply of hormones that is making my body feel it is "period time". If that is the case it should start clearing by Monday.
I ws worried that surgical menopause was starting pretty full on as ovaries were removed.
I shall try and get back to eating really healthy and drink lots of water and see how it goes over next couple of days. Have slept all afternoon where feeling so drained. Just walked along road for 20 mins to get fresh air and shall take a shower and see if I perk up.
Thank you for your support.
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM

I am dealing with full blown memo and don't crave things or eat crazy. Not sure of other gals. I'm 25 with a 1 and 3 year old so we eat pretty healthy minus lil ceasars pizza last night. Hope you feel better.

I had mirena before my surgery so I didn't have periods. I Sid want cookies the other day though so idk...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register