hysterectomy but what about repairs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy but what about repairs? hysterectomy but what about repairs?

Unread 11-19-2006, 06:03 PM
hysterectomy but what about repairs?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on November 8th that included lap and camera assistance. I also had a hernia that we didn't know about repaired and a recotocele that ran the full length of the vaginal canal repaired.

My question is how much more time if any do repairs like that add to recovery time?

I've also noticed a lot of abdominal swelling (referred often here to as swelly belly) but no one had mentioned dimpling of the skin. My once flabby but smooth belly looks just like a giant mushy bowl of cottage cheese now. Please tell me that this too will pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2006, 08:35 PM

I can't offer any advice on the swelling, but as far as repairs go - it seems to vary from patient to patient, doc to doc, and exact method of performing the surgery (what time of materials, sutures, etc).

I had an LSH..and it's my understanding that the average recovery time for JUST an LSH (no additional procedures) is like 1-3 weeks. I had 3 additional procedures (labial reduction, rectocele repair, & episiotomy repair)...and my recovery was: NO lifting for 2 weeks, nothing over 10 lbs for 6 weeks, and nothing more than 15-20 lbs until 12 weeks (at another follow up appt). Also, at 6 weeks I was released for exercise, work, and sex.

Good luck. I'm sure the dimpling/swelling won't last!
Unread 11-20-2006, 06:39 AM

Hi Penny-brook
I had a rectocele repair and a bladder sling with my tvh. My dr didn't give me an exact time it would take to heal because of the added repairs, but I do know that generally, the more you have done the longer it takes to heal.
Everyone's body heals differently and like Jenelle said, the type of surgery makes a big difference. I'm not sure any of us have exactly the same experience. You also have to factor in your health before going into surgery and any complications that might come up afterward.
I had severe anemia going into surgery. I'm sure it played a big part in how quickly I got to feeling better. It took me several months to heal completely. I felt better all along and was able to do more but still hurt when I would try to lift anything very heavy or tried to move furniture. I just learned to ask for help.
I think the swelling and fluid retention can cause the mushy tummy. Try not to panic. It all gets better in time.
's,Rita
Unread 11-20-2006, 06:54 AM
new to me

This is all very new to me. Like many of the women here, I'm not used to not being able to do everything. I run a business, I'm a free-;lance writer, I have 6 children and two dogs (that need to be walked).

I've had 18 orthopedic surgeries before as a result of being hit by a car when I was younger and those seem to go a lot easier. Everyone (including myself) is expecting me to bounce back so quickly.

I think one of the reasons that the other operations went so well was that I could see the cast (or sling or whatever) and intellectually know that I needed to take it easy. It's tough to take it easy (epecially from the kids' point of view) when you don't see anything other than three little scars on your belly. I mean what's the big deal right?

Perhaps I should start wearing a t-shirt that say I'm with stupid and points up. :-)

In any event, thanks for the information, this is going to take time and I need to also tatto on my arm "One step at a time"
Unread 11-20-2006, 06:57 AM

Hi..I was told I would need 6 weeks to recover from the op itself and a further 4-6 weeks before I felt back at my previous 'normal' level of activity.That was for TVH and repair.I was also told the same for the rectocele repair alone, probably because with the repairs you have lifting restrictions which obviously inhibit you, but which are necessary so as not to have to go through the whole thing again. It sounds as if you have had a lot done down there, so will take a time to heal.Go easy with it.Take care.
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny-brook
Perhaps I should start wearing a t-shirt that say I'm with stupid and points up. :-)
I want one of those!! I *need* one :P

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register