Any one else BRCA2+ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any one else BRCA2+ Any one else BRCA2+

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Any one else BRCA2+

I was diagnosed as BRCA2+ in February and it was decided that a LAVH and BSO was what I needed to do. I am struggling because I do not have the same issues that many of the women here do that has prompted the need for a hysterectomy. I will not reap the benefits that many of the women here will. I have heavy periods and nasty cramps but nothing compared to what I have read the women here have to deal with. I feel alone and sad. With many friends I can be open and honest but they do not know what I am going through. For some of my friends and family, I have to be strong or they will break down (don't need that right now). I have an aunt who had the same gene mutation and has gone through the same surgery and others that I will also have to go through but the difference is she had cancer, I haven't. This is totally to be pro active and not develop cancer. (Which is the best choice of course). I'm just feeling all alone here.
Any one else out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Re: Any one else BRCA2+

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry you are dealing with this.

I do know what you are going through. I am not BRCA2+, but my hysterectomy was a total surprise to me. My GP found a large mass during my annual exam - I was asymptomatic. I never was in any pain from it and never knew I had it. In addition, my periods have always been on the heavy side, but I dealt with it. After an ultrasound and MRI showed a 12 x 9 x 11 cm complex ovarian cyst, I ended up having a TAH BSO by a gyn onc.

So, I went in to surgery feeling fine, and came out feeling very exhausted, in a lot of pain, and slammed into surgical menopause (I am 46). Recovery has taken some time , I am close to but still not at 100%. I am on ERT, and that has given most of my life back.

I was very upset when I was told I had to have a hysterectomy, and cried many times before and after surgery. I still am mourning my uterus, and I miss my periods. This is normal, and recovery is a process. I keep reminding myself that it was for my health.

You are not alone in this - never on this site! I really understand what you are going through.

Super (((hugs))) across cyber space....
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM

I don't know what BRCA2+ is, but your not alone anymore. Now that you have found hystersisters you'll find support. Try putting BRCA2+ in the search bar on this page and see if any older threads pop up. I have used that search function on here many times to find things that I don't see in the recent forum. You may be able to read and learn from those stories. Also keep posting your questions and concerns. You'll be delighted to see how much support and encouragement you'll find here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:21 PM

Thank you for your support. I am only a few days away. The stress is getting to me. The women here have been great. I know I will hang around after for the next BRCA+ princess. I know it will be worth it in the long run.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM

BRCA2+ is a genetic mutation. Basically I am missing the gene that blocks cancer from developing. Therefore my risk of developing cancer is very high. Doctors suggest removing the "offending tissue" which means a the complete hysterectomy and later I will go through a double mastectomy with reconstruction.
I'm 35.
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:13 AM

I've dealt with heavy bleeding since my first period when I was 10 years old. It had gotten so bad that I was also passing golf ball sized clots every half hour and couldn't leave the house!! I have had a melanoma, skin cancer, removed a few years back, so I feel as though I may be more prone to having cancer than the next person. So... when I started thinking about hysterectomy, it seemed to me like all the pieces clicked into place. I had a good feeling about having the procedure done, and had them remove the cervix just to make sure I wouldn't get cancer on it sometime down the road. I had my surgery yesterday, Da Vinci method and they removed ovaries, uterus and cervix. I think it was probably the best decision I ever made.
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:44 AM

Legna Revlis
When cancer is the issue you really have no choice to be proactive.In your case I think what your dealing with is way more serious than most that don't have the cancer issue. I read somewhere that only about 10% of hysterectomies are performed for Cancer, while 90% are for other reasons. probably why you were feeling alone and saw symptoms on here that seemed worse to you than yours. I think yours are worse. The fear of cancer is scary. Many of us don't have that fear as much with our surgeries.DO NOT let your family make you feel that your not as serious as you Aunt just because your being proactive. Do they expect you to wait a year before you get diagnosed before they feel the need to be supportive? ( insert sarcasm here). What happened with your Aunt is even more reason to hurry up and get this done. Your not alone and without support anymore now that you found hystersisers.In a few days your going to be recovering the same as the rest of us, regardless of our reasons for choosing surgery.
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Legna -

It might interest you to know that the founder of this web site had a proactive total hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries and tubes because of other family members with cancer. I know this is such a tough decision, and I applaud you for making that tough choice and doing this. This is not easy.

As your surgery date approaches, your emotions will be pretty strong and swing widely- this is normal. If you are like me, you may have your freak-out days as well. I cried several times before my surgery, and many multiple times after.

We are here for you sweetie, and we will help you through this. It seems that the only people who really understand how devastating a hysterectomy can be is other women who have gone through or are going through this.

Please keep posting questions, feelings, emotions, fears, etc. It really does help.

Unread 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM

I was also proactive. I had " bad" periods and heavy bleeding but that's it. I was neg for BRACA, but so was my mom who passed away last year of ovarian CA. I had an elevated ca125 for the past two yrs. Last dec it doubled. The Dr didn't find any Tumors/ mass, but suggested a total hysterectomy and I AGREED!!!! So, at 36 I did it last week and I have NO regrets. I strongly feel that I had a option that my Mom and Grandmother did not have. I now have peace and not the constant fear. If you every need to talk let me know. I finally feel like I can live my life without the constant fear of Ovarian Ca.
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM

You all are right. I am not alone. I appreciate all of the love and support I have received here. It was a God send for me to find this site and I don't think I could have made it to this point without your help. I am now10 hours post op and know I did the right thing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register