Liquid diet... UGHS! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Liquid diet... UGHS! Liquid diet... UGHS!

Unread 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Liquid diet... UGHS!

So Monday I have to do my liquid diet. ANY ideas or suggestions? As of right now I have beef and chicken broth... and drinks. Is jello ok? He said rich liquids.. what in the world does that mean you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Re: Liquid diet... UGHS!

Bowl prep-day is not fun! I asked my nurse if it was ok for a pint of soy ice cream to be eaten and she said yes. I drank water and sprite and finally at night around 8 pm a little bowl of oatmeal. I was starving! Look at your instructions. Mine said small meals if needed. I made sure it was soft when I did eat. Good luck!
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:51 PM

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's page on clear liquid diets. Some doctors allow meals the day before surgery but it sounds like your doctor is like mine. I was not allowed any solids, only clear liquids and nothing after midnight. Please stick to your doctor's instructions otherwise your surgery may be cancelled or you are putting your life at risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM

thanks. Yeah mine is no meals. Just liquids
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Generally jello is OK, some have color restrictions, I did not. Juice was what kept me from being hungry. Sodas and the like are usually OK, again, sometimes color restrictions. Broth was nice as a first course, followed by jello. Be sure to drink enough, think of it as liquid meals. It wasn't that bad.
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks grey! I will remember that
Unread 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM

I was allowed jello, cranberry juice, broths and any drink that was "see thru" (NO orange juice, milk, etc).

I actually went to the local japanese restaurant and bought 5 containers of that soup/broth that they serve before meals. It had a little bit of sliced scallion onions in it, but i just took them all out. I felt so awful though after my stomach was empty that i was only able to tolerate 2 of the small containers.
Unread 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM

I'm doing the liquid diet today- was allowed to eat breakfast- so I ate this morning- actually it was not early morning since I slept in, more like 10am breakfast. I made soup for the family and just had the broth- also made some jello -sitting in the fridge will eat that tonight. See through liquids are ok, I saw someone had a milkshake and I was like oh no! Not ok to have ice cream on a clear liquid diet even if you drink it through a straw. LOL Anyway I am pretty confident that the enema I have to give myself tonight will take care of whatever is left in my lower bowel.

The enemas come in a two pack, wondering if I shoud l just do the other one tomorrow morning before I leave? Hmm... gonna think on that.
Unread 09-30-2012, 03:49 PM

I will be doing my liquid diet, Tuesday, Oct. 2nd. No enema, 4 tablespoons Milk of Magnesia. I'm not looking forward to that. I'm starving just thinking about it. Hoping that I got enough supplies????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register