Epidurals | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Epidurals

Hi Ladies, Has any had an epidural for anytime of hysterectomy ?
New here and love the network we have available.
Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Epidurals

Hi
post op 1 week here , Had the epidural and would recomend it lol I found it so much easier than waking from being put out.
I woke alert and with in a few hours I had full control of my legs.
Im my case they also add a pain med into the epidural that last for 24 hours so that was nice lol

good luck and if you have any questions please email me
sky1mom@yahoo.com
Halle
Unread 04-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Epidurals

Halle, Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am @ wk trying to be proactive and leave my desk all caught up. How are you doing ? Would you be open to talking on the phone this evening ? If not I understand.
How soon before you got up and walked ? Were you awake in the OR or did you have sedation too ? Also did your bowels move in the first few days ?
I am having (not sure with the lingo here) Hyst, keeping ovaries and cerv. Large friboids.

Sending good wishes.
Elinor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Epidurals

Is the epidural a widely-available option for hysterectomy? I am definitely planning to ask my doctor about it, but I just wondered if this is an option that is routinely offered.

I think I would much prefer an epidural with sedating medications over general anesthesia, although since I'm having LSH I'm not certain it will be offered.

Unread 04-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Epidural

I had an epidural and I recommend it greatly. You dont have to deal with all of the after effects from being put out. I had a TAH/BSO on Feb 5. For me it was the only choice because I was so scared about being put to sleep.
Bridget
Unread 04-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Epidurals

Can they actually do a TAH with only an epidural?

I never heard of that but I don't think I could lay there awake knowing what they were doing. I think I better do the general I'd be panicked the whole time if I was awake but I never heard of just havin an epidural. My friend had one when she delivered her baby and she said the only thing that when numb was her feet.
Unread 04-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Epidurals

I had an epidural plus something that made me really sleepy....not a general but i didn't know anything. The only thing about the epidural with me was everything had feeling a few hours later except one leg from my ankle up.....it was really scary....it was still numb the next day so i finally talked them into taking it out that afternoon and a couple hours later i had full feeling back. I was so afraid i was paralyzed there or something...lol i know, i get some strange thoughts but i didn't have any nausea or anything like that after i was awake
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Epidurals

I think I've decided on the epidural. Between this website and a few of my friends who have had them, I haven't heard any bad reports. I had one when I had laproscopic knee surgery a few years ago and recall it wasn't that bad. I was concerned though because this is much more invasive (TAH). But am feeling reassured - and yes, I understand everyone is different. I want to be out completely (I was conscious for the knee surgery and watched it on a monitor - kind of like "Trauma, Life In The ER" (my DH's favorite TV show!)). However, I don't think I want to see, hear or know what's going on this time.
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Epidurals

I'm having a TAH/BSO on Monday and have discussed having the epidural for my surgery with my DR. He said he saw no reason I could not have it, but it would be up to the anesthesiologist. I won't be able to talk to him until right before they take me into surgery so I won't know until then whether I'll get to. I am really counting on it because I DO NOT want the general. My DR did tell me that if I have the epidual he will leave instructions to remove it after 24 hours due to the leg swelling.
Unread 04-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Epidurals

I really recommend the epidural when I had mine they left it in only for a few hours after surgery because I get sick to my stomach from whatever is in it. I also cant take pain killers because they make me sick to. I have to say I was in pain for 2 days but it got alot better from then out I have had 2 csections with no pain killer and the pain is very similar. I picked the epidural because it is one of the safest anesthesia's there is. Good luck to all of you waiting for surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register