How long are most TAH? Becoming pretty emotional!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long are most TAH?  Becoming pretty emotional!! How long are most TAH? Becoming pretty emotional!!

Unread 11-15-2002, 05:23 PM
How long are most TAH? Becoming pretty emotional!!

This has all been scheduled pretty quick now that we have finally dignosed the chronic gallbladder spasms...and feel safe to have surgery. I forgot to ask how long to expect surgery to be. My pre-op visit is on Tuesday afternoon.

Everything is going - plus looking for additional endo to remove.

I didn't realize I would be so emotional...it seems the closer it comes to surgery the more emotional I am becoming.

Thank you ladies for being so helpful!

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2002, 06:10 PM

Hello Becky, how long will surgery be? Ya just never know until it's over!! Mine was suppose to be an hour and a half, it took three hours. They can give you an estimate, but ya just never know....
Unread 11-15-2002, 06:19 PM

My surgery started at 2PM and I remember being in my room at 6PM. I don't know how long the actual surgery lasted. I think it took a little longer than she thought because my uterus was larger than expected, she said it was a "challenge".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2002, 07:27 PM

(((Becky)))

It's normal to feel very nervous and emotional as the surgery date draws near. It's a big surgery. And it's surgery to take out some of our parts that we have identified with for years (they let us know they're there every month). And anticipation is a tough game.

Ask your doc how long s/he is anticipating for the surgery. It varies from one woman to another. I've heard some go as fast as 45 minutes, and others that took hours. My doc said to plan on 3-6 hours (he figured I would have a lot of adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries). I was out in 2 hours, 45 minutes. so, you just never know.

Good luck! I hope all goes well for you. Remember to pamper the !
Unread 11-15-2002, 07:54 PM

My was 50 minutes for a plain ol' hyst - kept my ovaries, no endo/adhesions... I'm sure yours will take a bit longer. Not to worry though, you will be comfortably off in dreamland - it'll probably only seem like a few minutes passed.
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:06 PM

Hi Becky

I agree, it is very ok and normal to be emotional about what this surgery is and how it will affect our lives.

I had everything removed and I think I remember someone telling me that my surgery took about 1 hour and 30-45 minutes. It does vary timewise tho because we all have different circumstances that brought us here. Some have more going on inside than others. Different proceedures too. Some have abdominal, vaginal or laparoscopic surgeries.

We will be here helping you get through this darlin. I know its hard because the wait is the worst part but try not to fret too much. You will be ok.

Give your doctor a call and they will be happy to discuss any concerns and questions you may have at any time. It will help you feel better also too having a professional medical opinion about of all this.

s
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:21 PM

Hi, I had my pre op appt today. Dr. said that the surgery would be about 70 min. He schedules hour and half. Hope that helps you!
Jul
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:24 PM

Hi! I had a TAH/BSO and the surgery lasted under an hour- of course, I was oblivious so 3 hours wouldn't have mattered! I was nervous and semi- panicky in the short 16 days leading up to my date- it really seems to be the norm. You'll also hear or read "the waiting is the worst part" - it's true! I still tell people after 7 weeks that it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared.
Best wishes to you for an uneventful recovery. you have lots of support here!
Unread 11-16-2002, 12:19 PM

Hi! Doc told my husband it would be 1 hour for the surg(not counting recovery), and it was actually 2 and he got worried.
But everything went great, better than expected.

It really does vary. Sometimes less time than they say, sometimes more. I would guess that between 1 and 2 hours is prob the average. But anything goes!!

Good luck and you will soon be beautiful !

Unread 11-17-2002, 04:39 PM

Thank you, Ladies!! It helps just knowing there is somewhere I can go for support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register