Barium After Effects. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Barium After Effects. Barium After Effects.

Unread 06-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Barium After Effects.

i posted the other day about a CT Scan...now i'm asking, did anyone whos had this done with the Barium suffer with abdominal discomfort afterwards? (nauses, diarrhea)...how long does this take to get out of the system?..i called the hospital pharmacist and he was nothing but rude..he told me to "stop complaining and to deal with the nausea".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Barium After Effects.

My barium scan hurt so bad and made me cramp that I asked them to stop when they pu the puffs of air in. I had cramps for about a day and the dirahrea to go with it afterwards. I think that was just after effects of the rather harsh prep though.

I'd like to smack that pharmacist.
Unread 06-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Barium After Effects.

Yes, diarrhea and cramping....although they warned me...I live about 3 hours away from where I had my CT done and she had my pottys stops all planned out for me.....LOL....IE: Ok you should make it to point A...then Point B ect.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Barium After Effects.

thanks for the quick replies..i'm still awake at 133am because my stomach feels so full and unsettled....it was everything for me not to puke the first bottle of Barium up this morning (6hr prior to scan)...2nd bottle i had to drink 1 hr prior to scan..that one went down alot easier (i added vanilla extract to it..helped a bit)..got to the scan and had to drink another 2oz of the junk...i got home and about 30 minutes later the stomach cramping started..not long after that i was in the bathroom...have been in the bathroom several times and still feel very unsettled..i've been drinking water and chewing ice..also drank a quart of Gatorade..i tried eating something this evening thinking that having something in my stomach might helped (since i havent been able to eat per instructions since 8am)..that didnt do anything but make me feel even more bloated...i decided to call the hospital pharmacist..he was a real jerk!!..i have plans to report him to a supervisor in the morning...i simply asked him if it was normal to feel nauseated, to have diarrhea, and to feel bloated, and if so was there anything I could do to help with the symptoms..his answer was to "stop complaining and deal with it" (as i posted earlier)...if i had a car i would go pay him a visit tonite and do my business in the bathroom that he has to use the rest of his shift!..then he'd see who'd be "dealing with it"..jerk!...anyhow..thanks again for replying..i guess i'll just sit here and "deal with" the belching, wind passing, and bathroom visits til it all works it way out!...i can still smell the Barium emanating through my skin...ick!
Unread 06-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Barium After Effects.

Im due for entercylsis /small bowel enema this cxoming week .. what does barium taste like ?

mei
Unread 06-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Barium After Effects.

hi cow 32323 for starters Barium is not a laxative so i'm not sure the test youre going to have is going to involve Barium (per your mention of an enema). Barium is administered for certain types of XRays to enhance contrast. As far as what it tastes like, well, I really cant decribe it, however I'll do my best; its texture is similiar to a watered down chalky milkshake...the taste is one of a kind..its supposedly "pleasantly flavored" however i believe everyone who's ever had to drink it will definitely argue that statement--can you say false advertising?..haha...it has a bit of a sour milk taste--pleasant huh?.. ick!...I was told (by 3 different XRay technicians) to add either chocolate syrup or vanilla extract to help with the taste...I added it but it didnt help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register