Scheduled TVH So what do I really need before and after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So what do I really need before and after surgery? So what do I really need before and after surgery?

Unread 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM
So what do I really need before and after surgery?

Just wanting some advice on what I need pre op (for the Hospital) I.E; toiletries and clothing and post op at home and hospital. Can anyone tell me what they were glad they had? Or maybe something they wish they thought of. I am having my TVH Thursday and I am getting ready for the hospital, and preparing the house. And I just would like some opinions on what everyone else found to be helpful, Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Re: So what do I really need before and after surgery?

There is a place at the top of this forum that all the Princesses have posted hints. It was a great resource for me, and I posted all of the things that have been helpful there yesterday.
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM

For me, I found sweatpants, t-shirts and sweatshirts in a size bigger than normal worked well. Also, nightshirts, slippers for evening. Lemon tea,mint tea, lemon italian ice helps prevent dry mouth. Surround yourself with busy things to do while laying on the couch. Hope those ideas help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM

These are a few of my "must have" items: Loose, comfortable clothing. Bland foods (I.e. crackers, soups, oatmeal). Prune juice, Gas-X and colace. Crossword puzzle books, or something similar to keep your mind busy. Lots of pillows. Chapstick and hand lotion. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:19 AM

I would also add cranberry juice...it helps with urinary tract. As soon as able add fiber to diet even it is wheat toast. I loved the toasted cheese sandwiches my husband made. After a few days I was starting to add more real food but it took awhile for me to really develop any appetite. I like applesauce too.
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:23 AM

The one thing I wish I had at the hospital was one of those spa eye mask, my roommate left her TV on for hours and the flashing from the TV really bothered me. Other then that loose sweatpants, slip on shoes and a small pillow to put against your tummy. The hospital I was at provided toiletries, gowns, socks, pads and mesh underware.
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM

a little pillow and a body pillow
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM

I had my LAVH one week ago today. If you have to do a bowel prep as I did the wet wipes for your backside really help. My hinny was a burnin and that was probably my best investment. I bought larger than I wear underwear but the mesh ones the hospital gave me were much better. I am still wearing them. Sweat pants to go home in are a great choice.
Please take a stool softner (ask your doctor) that is key for your first pooh after the procedure.
I took a bag of werthers candys and put on my table at the hospital and every nurse or assistant that walked in I told them to take a few. I said thank you for everything they did big or small. If you are nice to them they will take better care of you. They loved the candy and I had great care.
Good luck to you and as posted earlier check out the list of what others recommended.
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM

earplugs for the hospital, it blocked out my roomates,s visitors conversations, and telephone calls. she had earphones too and i'm sure they blocked out my snoring and bed adjustments to get comfy. i bought the nicest slippers in the world, they are slip on with sheep like fur lining. it was a well worth it indulgence. also a super soft housecoat with buttons down the front. i hae worn both things every day!
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Notebook and pen/pencil (keep notes, have guests or medical staff sign in - so you can thank them later), glasses case if you wear corrective lenses, chap stick, throat lozenges or hard candy (throat might be a bit sore from the intubation), cell phone?, a basket to keep these items in is very handy - you can keep it by your side, on the rolling table that hospital beds have and nothing can fall on the floor. Things that fall on the floor will be out of your reach, get on your nerves - and asking for help from a guest or the staff is the only way to get something that falls to the floor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register