Anyone else keep "part" of cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else keep "part" of cervix? Anyone else keep "part" of cervix?

Unread 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Anyone else keep "part" of cervix?

Hi all!

First post to the forum. I am so happy to have found this site as it has answered many questions, thanks!

My question I have is regarding keeping part of the cervix. I was scheduled for my LSH on July 9th, had the surgery, got to my room and asked my husband what my doctor had said after the surgery. The plan going into surgery was to remove only my uterus (fibroids, heavy bleeding, mega pain). My husband says the doctor told him my ovaries were left intact, uterus removed but that he also took part of my cervix. That's all my husband knew. The doctor did not come into see me the evening after the surgery. The nurses had no answers for me as they said all my chart said was the uterus had been sent to pathology, no mention what so ever of my cervix. The next morning the student doc that attended my surgery came in and she didn't feel comfortable discussing it with me. Finally I saw my doctor and he told me my cervix was shorter than most and he cut through it so removed 80% of it. He then had to go in vaginally to sew the cervix up therefore my surgery ended up being a LAVH. It just seems odd to me that I have part of a cervix, LOL. I thought it was an "all or nothing" kinda thing. Anyone else have the same experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2008, 10:28 AM

I have not experienced that. maybe your doctor felt that the cervix offered necessary support. And that "some" was better then none. Did you end up with a partial vaginal cuff?(I think that is what it is called?)
Unread 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM

Honestly, I don't know. I asked him if I had a vaginal cuff and his response was if I were to feel inside where the cervix was I still have part of the "lip" there. I asked about pap smears and he did say I do not have to have them anymore which leads me to believe I probably have the vaginal cuff. I have lots of questions for him when I go Tuesday to have stitches taken out. Keeping the ovaries and cervix was more of a mental thing for me. I keep thinking the less removed the more "normal" my life and sex life will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue1
I have not experienced that. maybe your doctor felt that the cervix offered necessary support. And that "some" was better then none. Did you end up with a partial vaginal cuff?(I think that is what it is called?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM

i didnt but but my girlfriend had part of hers removed. she had an sah and once the surgery started, he removed a portion of her cervix for medical reasons that i cant remember. i never asked her if she had stitches or if they finished vaginally or not. i dont think they did though..i think she would have told me.
write down all your questions for your dr so you dont forget any. be sure to ask him again why you dont need a pap smear if you have even a small portion of cervix left. i know my friend still has to have yearly paps.
Unread 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear of someone else that part of the cervix was taken.

Mine wasn't taken due to anything medical. Basically it was taken because of my anatomy. It almost sounds like an "oops". I was definately stitched vaginally as he told me there wasn't room to stitch the cervix from inside my belly so he did it vaginally.

The day after surgery is a difficult time to get answers from anyone. It's so overwhelming and I just wanted to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue
i didnt but but my girlfriend had part of hers removed. she had an sah and once the surgery started, he removed a portion of her cervix for medical reasons that i cant remember. i never asked her if she had stitches or if they finished vaginally or not. i dont think they did though..i think she would have told me.
write down all your questions for your dr so you dont forget any. be sure to ask him again why you dont need a pap smear if you have even a small portion of cervix left. i know my friend still has to have yearly paps.
Unread 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM

They took all my cervix.

Creshaunda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register