Does your Sex life change after having a partial Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does your Sex life change after having a partial Hysterectomy? Does your Sex life change after having a partial Hysterectomy?

Unread 04-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Does your Sex life change after having a partial Hysterectomy?

I am 26 and just curious and still have alot to understand about my surgery but everybody that I tell I am having a hysterectomy says "OMG your so young and to tell you the truth it will never be the same with your sex life I know I have been there", is that true? But since my ovaries are good, I don't have to take any hormone pills, and that shouldn't have to do anything with my sex life. I just need some feedback. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 08:42 PM

Hi, this was a major concern for me as well. I talked to my doctor at length about it so make sure you ask yours all your questions, don't be embarrassed to ask anything. My doctor is a firm believer that if the cervix is healthy it's important to keep it. It has many nerve endings that can help make sex more enjoyable and it also helps support the bladder, so he felt strongly mine should stay intact. Of course, every doctor has their own opinion but I've always heard the cervix is highly sensistive. Although on this site it seems that even with the cervix out many women have no problems sexually.

I was pleasantly surprised after my surgery to find everything was working just fine. In some ways much better than before. I'm going on my 3rd week post op. Had laproscopic surgery so my recovery time and release to have sex was only a week after surgery. I had no problem reaching orgasm, plenty of lubrication and sensation. My libido was way up there, possibly due to being started on estrogen. About the only thing I've noticed is the deeper contractions I used to get occasionally are gone. Guess they were uterine. But the clitoral orgasms are much more intense now so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. As a whole I'm quite pleased and very happy to have had the surgery. No more periods which were horribly long and heavy, no more pain from the fibroids, no worry about getting pregnant. My ovaries are gone so I'm on estrogen patches and doing well on those.

Just question your doctor at length. Get his opinion about the cervix and ask if he can prescribe anything for you afterwards to insure your libido and response stays as normal as possible if you find it diminished after surgery. Good luck
Unread 04-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks Alrunas

I thank you, I had talked to my Doctor about my sex life, and he is going to leave my ovaries in if I am certain he said he is going to leave my cervix in as well. I mean I know I am having problems with my endo, and it bothers me to have sex with my husband I figure this surgery will help me and I can enjoy sex again. Thank You for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2004, 05:43 AM

I just got released at my 2 week post op.

My sex life is better then it's been in a long time. I guess because I feel so much better.
Unread 04-25-2004, 06:23 AM
I understand your concern, but...

Elise77,

I had the same concerns... But take a look at my post from yesterday (I hope the link works):

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=139960

You are young, but I don't think you need to worry about this. I'm OLD (43, lol!) and I can assure you that all the plumbing AND electricity still works great!
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:21 AM

I had a TVH at age 29, they left the ovaries, but took the cervix... After I was given the green light to have sex again, it took a little time, and was uncomfortable at first, but after a few "tries" I really did not notice much of a difference. Except for one thing, we could actually DO it since I was not bleeding constantly anymore!

If you have concerns, make sure you talk to your doc. But from my experience I really do not see a difference in how anything feels from before surgery!

Good Luck!
Unread 04-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Mine didn't!!!

Hi!

I had my LSH nearly 4 weeks ago. Finally tested things out this morning...gosh I feel funny sharing this, but oh well, it helped me to read other people's success stories.

I can FINALLY say that nothing changed. The big O as it is so nicely refered to here has not changed at all.

I kept my cervix and ovaries and am THRILLED that I finally had this procedure. It was recommended at least 5 years ago and over and over since. The fear of how it would change my sex life was really an obstacle for me. Then, I came to realize, what sex life with the pain and bleeding????

Good luck with your decisions! I am so happy to finally report this news after reading so many stories.

Glena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register