tylenol is not strong enough!!!! any suggestions??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tylenol is not strong enough!!!!  any suggestions??? tylenol is not strong enough!!!! any suggestions???

Unread 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
tylenol is not strong enough!!!! any suggestions???

I am 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery. I still have a few percocet left, but am trying not to run out. I might take one a day. the rest of the day I seem to be in acute pain, burning...and I am not overdoing it at all. I have been trying to take tylenol, 3 at a time, but it doesn't even take the edge off. Is there anything over the counter that works for any of you out there?
My Dr. said the burning may or may not be surgery related. He left my ovaries, and said there could be a chance they might have to come out later, but to wait 4 weeks to see if the pain goes away. I am starting to think there is something else wrong down there. I thought I would be done with the pain meds, but I can't really do anything with out them now...ugh....will the pain ever go away???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Good morning sweetie!! You and me both, girl, with the pain and burning.

Tylenol does NOTHING for me, never has.

My dr recommended Aleve/Naproxen. Taken every 8 hours. I did that when I got home as narcotics make me sick. I love Aleve because it saved my life when I broke my pelvis several years ago...nothing like it for back pain and sciatica.

I also take 4 advils about every six hours or so. Over the counter...4 advils make 800 mg ibuprofen, which is the rx strength. Take w/food because it's hard on your stomach.

((((hugs))))
Linda
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:59 AM

You are still very early in your recovery...and it is painful!! Call your Dr tomorrow and ask to be sure what is ok for you to take. I have a problem with narcotics so took ibuprofen 600mg (3 otc tabs) opposite the tylenol so always had something on board...I am almost 7 weeks post op TAH and still have some burning and pulling around incision area. It wasn't until 5 weeks that I started feeling better. Hang in there...hugs to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:20 AM

I would call the Dr. and let him know what is going on. For me, I used Tylenol #1 (with codine- ask for it behind the counter) and Advil. I followed the dose on the bottles and it didnt take it all away but it sure helped using the combination.

Hope you feel better soon
Unread 03-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Ibuprofen helped me a little bit too. Even though it's been 2 1/2 weeks, you are still early out. If percocet helps, then I would call the doctor and ask for a refill. You don't need to be miserable. It takes awhile for the body to settle down after this major surgery.

Best Wishes!
Unread 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM

I just tok 3 advil(or whatever the generic of that is), and it seems to be working a lot better than anything else I've tried.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Unread 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM

You most likely have swelling still and that is why you need a good anti imflamatory. My doctor prescribed Naproxyen and it helps a great deal, I am still taking it 6 wks out.

You are very early in recovery and I wouldn't expect Tylenol to do a thing for you. If you want more narcotics or something like prescription strength aleve, call your doctor, I'm sure he wouldn't deny you this help.
Unread 03-08-2009, 03:59 PM

My Doctor told me I could take advil between the pain pills and I was suprised by how well it works .I am glad to hear you are feeling better.
Unread 03-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi there, maybe you should have the doctor take a look at you, I had my hyst on the 11th, and on my 14 day post op apt I was still in considerable pain-he prescribed some type of blue pills antibiotic cause he suspected infection even though I had none of the typical symptoms, discharge, fever just that burning pain=2 days after I started it, the pain seemed to lessen considerably-dont get me wrong, I still hurt but I wonder if maybe you have a small infection, these can cause that type of burning pain-very uncomfortable!! Call the doc in am and see if they will get you an antibio or something else for pain, I was taking percs, with 3 advil every 4 hours and 2 tylonel every 4 hours-but the perc i tried to just take 1 or 2 a day, I found taking the advil with the tylnenol seemed to work much better than offsetting but then again that was before i started the antibiotics..boy this pain sure is annoying!!
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM

As the other ladies suggested if you can take NSAID alternate them (motrin, advil ,alieve) with tylenol. Watch your daily limits for the NSAID as well as the tylenol. (perc have tylenol so count that as well. You should not alternate the NSAIDs you'll end up exceeding the daily limits.
Try putting ice packs over your belly or moist heat which ever works better for you at this point. Keep in mind you may have decreased sensation in the area so watch you don't burn or freeze your self.
Feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register