going back to work/heavy lifting at 8 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going back to work/heavy lifting at 8 weeks going back to work/heavy lifting at 8 weeks

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
going back to work/heavy lifting at 8 weeks

I am 5 weeks post-op today and saw my doctor today. He cleared me for anything I feel comfortable doing as long as I ease into it...exercise and things like that. I'm a little worried about going back to work. I don't have to for another 3 weeks and even then my boss is very lenient and if I'm not ready it won't really be a problem. I am an EMT and we do a lot of heavy lifting...unfortunately most of our patients are usually 200lbs. plus. I can usually get help lifting if we're in the ER or nursing home...but if I go to a residents home it will only be me and the medic lifting the stretcher. Has anyone else had a TAH/BSO and gone back to work as EMT/Medic or something similar and not had any problems? I worry about vaginal wall collapse and rectocele or cystocele due to the lifting...but I don't want to give up my job either because I absolutely love it. I've been doing Kegels to strenghthen those muscles. My doctor told me to play it by ear and listen to my body but also to live my life and not worry too much about it...its impossible to predict if any of those things will happen. I'm just curious if anyone else has been in this situation. Ultimately, I will go back to work and I know whichever medic I'm working with will not let me or force me to do anything that could seriously hurt me...I work with a great group of people. Just wondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Re: going back to work/heavy lifting at 8 weeks

I'm not an emt, but I do weight lifting. I started lifting weights at 7 weeks, also took it easy for about a week and worked my way up to 60 lbs so far with no problems to report. I'm a bit over 9 weeks now. Hope that helps you in some way. I trully do not experience any pain or discomfort when I do it, otherwise I would assume my body wasn't ready. Good luck !
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM

I am nearly three weeks post-op and am going back to work at 30 days post op-I work as a Rad tech, ok- not so much heavy lifting-it isn't our job to lift and carry patients as much-but I am worried about pushing x-ray tables with said patients on them- as you say, most patients are 200 lb plus, especially over here in Cyprus, where healthy diet and moderation are foreign words to most people. I am slated for a night shift the week I go back- so that worries me too. But I am going to do the shift and rely on help from the ER nurses to push and shove the pubnters- they are a good bunch and I don't think I will have any trouble with them.
I feel that, psychologically, I ought to go back asap just to prove to myself that I am ok, but not work beyond my limits. I will see how things go when I get back, and take it from there.

Wishing you both a speedy and good recovery,
Big :cathugs:
'Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 07:22 AM

I have to turn, transfer, and hold up limbs for periods of time with heavy pTs as well. I also push beds. I went back to work at 5 wks post TVH and had no problems at all. I was cleared for heavy lifting but I was worried anyway. It didn't hurt, no complications. So I hope it works out for you as well.
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:22 AM

I'm in the same boat as Neesy3074. I work as a circulating nurse in the OR, and I also lift and tug on heavy patients, push heavy beds and lift equipment. Scared about being able to do that without hurting myself. But reading some of these replies reassures me.
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:33 AM

I too am a nurse...i work NICU so my patients aren't heavy but moving equipment and just being on my feet all day is a little concern. I had EVERYYHING repaired and a bladder sling....don't want to do this again! I'm just 3 1/2 weeks post op so I will find out if I have any lifetime weight limits at my next visit. I'm also wondering about running and high impact exercise...does that contribute to prolapse? I just want to take care of myself the best i can...but we do have to LIVE!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register