Bladder Issues Post-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Issues Post-Op Bladder Issues Post-Op

Unread 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Bladder Issues Post-Op

Hi! I'm just beginning week 4 after my SAH surgery. Before I left the hospital I was told I had a staph infection in my bladder and was given antibiotics to clear up. I finished the first round and still felt I had symptoms. Started the second round (Ciprofloxacin) but had to stop taking due to pain in my liver. Had culture done a few days after and came back negative. Here's what I'm feeling now:

In the mornings, no pain and stinging - normal urination, though I don't seem to be urinating as much as I think I should considering all that I'm drinking (A LOT of water and cranberry juice). I know that I don't have a uterus sitting on my bladder anymore, but shouldn't I be peeing more? By the end of the day I have slight discomfort when I urinate.

I used to wake up in the middle of the night 1-3 times per night to use the bathroom - now I don't wake up at all - which is nice, but it's just not my normal. Do I consider this my new normal? Where is all the fluid I'm drinking going since I'm not urinating as much?

I called my docs office and they said something about my bladder being in shock from the surgery and it may take several weeks for things to get back to normal - does that sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Re: Bladder Issues Post-Op

LadyNatasha

I'm sorry you have bladder concerns, but you're not alone and I hope others will be along very soon to share!

It's good that you've contacted your doctor already but please don't hesitate to contact him/her again if things don't improve with time. Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? It's packed with information for your recovery, including several bladder articles which I hope will help.

Sending all good wishes as you continue to heal!

Unread 12-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Re: Bladder Issues Post-Op

Hello...
Prior to my surgery, my uterus was pressing on my bladder..my 'normal' was constant bladder pressure, and probably the longest I could endure between bathroom visits was 2 hours, I was able to get through most nights w/o having to get up though, although it disrupted my sleep because I was holding it.
I had complications after the hysterectomy - resulting in another surgery to remove a hematoma on my bladder.. I continued my same 'normal' for about 4-5 weeks after the 2nd sugery, but I also felt pain - which was most likely due to recovery and healing, and then it improved and I hit a whole new normal 8 - 9 weeks post op. No more constant need to run to the bathroom - and diminished bladder pressure.
I am now about 3 months post op and things have improved even more I no longer have the pressure feeling at all, I can drink a glass of water without running to find the nearest bathroom 30 mins later. I can go hours without a trip to the bathroom. Its wonderful!!!!
So, it definitely could be you are starting to experience your new normal...which probably feels weird - it did to me too and I worry sometimes because it feels like I can drink and drink and drink, and not need to use the bathroom like I used to. Its unbelievable to me.
Good luck on the rest of your recovery -- HUGS!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register