4 weeks P/O?? Please share.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks P/O?? Please share.... 4 weeks P/O?? Please share....

Unread 12-17-2006, 01:24 PM
4 weeks P/O?? Please share....

I am feeling a little better every day!

TUMMY: Still swollen a little. It has gone down tremendously, but overall a bit better every day. I am back in my big pants (10) today, but no way can I wear my 8's. I have 3 pair that I can wear now besides my running pants or pajamas. Finally something!

URINATING: Still painful but may be b/c of bladder injury, repair, then cath at home for a week.

BM: No problems except for one time I felt like I was 'birthing poop'. It really felt like labor pains!! And the pains radiated into my thighs. This was just a few days ago too. I used a suppository and it was just a little bit, so not constipated, it was like I could 'feel' the bm making its way through the colon, get stuck, then hurt real bad. Anyone else exp. this?

EXERCISE: I have been going to the Y and walking on the treadmill every other day, 30 min at 2mph. I look like a goob walking so slow, but oh well, it feels really good, but poops me out for the rest of the day.

SORENESS: My lap incisions have not even been noticed since surgery, but my open incision still causes a lot of pain, sometimes a burning pain. I still take Motrin throughout the day, and a half of a vicodin at night.

DISCHARGE: Very, very little at this point. I would almost say it has stopped, almost. Still have not passed anything that resembles stitches.

HAIR: Still falling out!!

ENERGY: After walking on the TM, I am pooped and don't accomplish a whole lot. I may do a couple light tasks during the day, ex. empty dw, wipe off counters, fix myself easy microwave lunch, shower, run a small errand, etc. Anything more brings on more swelling and pain.

BOREDOM: Yup, still have that!

I think that covers it all. Did I miss anything? Please share your experience at this point. I hope your recovery is going smooth, sisters! i have learned so much from all of you and it really has been encouraging!

Cheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
4 Weeks Post Op - Getting Better and Better

Sounds like you're doing well - a lot better than I am at this point! Still have swelly belly - went to church Friday night in regular clothes but couldn't wait to peel them off when I got home - too tight around abdomen. Also still using stool softener - really helps since I had an A&P repair. Also still self-cathing when I wake up at night to go. Cooked breakfast for my DH this morning, and got dizzy before it was done. Had to lie down. Went out for a bit to the grocery store and had to go back to the car after about 15 minutes. So, I think you're doing fantastic if you can get on the TM for any length of time. Just take it slow, which I'm also learning to do!
Unread 12-17-2006, 09:09 PM

I'm doing well. I forced myself to do absolutely nothing for the first two weeks, even though I really felt as if I could have been up and around. But in hindsight, I think I did the right thing and it has helped me in the long run. Each event I tried, from showering for the first time, to going grocery shopping with DH wore me out. The least little thing totally exhausted me. But I did realize quite quickly that each thing was a bit better than the one before. Last week I was back in my regular classes teaching music and movement to preschoolers -- dancing with them, walking like a penguin, you name it -- pretty much everything I was doing before the surgery with the exception of picking up the toddlers. Luckily the longest session I have is two hours ... most are an hour ... so I have a lot of time to chill out following classes. But later in the week, I followed my classes with some light holiday shopping and gift wrapping ... so I was accomplishing much more. I seem to have four really good days and then one not so good day right now. But even the not so good days are easy ... just exhaustion more than anything.

My lap incisions are healing up nicely, although sometimes get a little sore and lumpy underneath. Had to buy new underwear since my granny panties were fine to lay around in but too big to really be up and about in (LOL), but my regular panties seemed "binding" and uncomfortable. Finally broke down and bought a couple pairs of couderoys a size bigger too ... just to have something to wear beside pj pants and overalls (thank goodness I like overalls). One lap incision in my belly button is driving me nuts as it is still scabby and annoying. I've shown no signs of losing any internal stitches yet. I'm taking nothing for pain any longer.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with things and think my recovery has been pretty uneventful. The swelly belly is for the birds, though ... especially seeing how I didn't have a flat tummy to begin with. Grrr. But I guess I should wear the belly proud ... knowing I'm cancer free and I'm up and about and feeling good. Yep ... I'm grateful.

Happy Holidays to All Sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2006, 10:57 PM

It seemed that four weeks was a turning point. My energy has improved but my muscles still need to catch up. I walk on the treadmill fro 30 minutes and get jelly legs. That is weird for me because I did three marathons this year. Today I am having some pain that had gone away and is back. I don't know if I am doing too much or what is going on. I still take the stool softeners because I do not want to experience that pain again. I kept my ovaries and this week I would be due for my period. I keep waiting for something to happen, I am not sure what. Should I feel something? Is my pain from that? Do my ovaries wokr 100% even without their buddy the uterus? Just what exactly does go on in there?
Unread 12-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Hi Joeyanne,

I was able to retain one ovary and it seems to be producing whatever hormones it's supposed to be since I have had no real signs of surgical menopause since my hysterectomy.

I did notice, though, that I had the same feelings around my "time of the month" ... didn't sleep as well, allergies were a bit worse, more tired than usual, somewhat weepy for no reason, etc. and had the same achy feeling that I would sometimes get in addition to cramps. The only things I didn't have were the actual cramps or the bleeding. I also felt a bit of pain on my right side (where the one ovary still is) at the time when I would have normally ovulated.

From what I've read, the ovaries still produce hormones and they still produce eggs. It's just that the eggs dissentigrate (?) rather than attaching to anything ... so we never see them. So it makes sense that we would still have some symptoms of a monthy period if we still have ovaries.

I was freaking out at first wondering why I was feeling what I was feeling until I remembered that it would have been my normal cycle. I've felt 100% fine since that time and got a good report from my doctor at my follow up.

If your pain is bad, though, you might want to have your doctor check it out.
Unread 12-18-2006, 12:28 PM

I am 4 weeks out from TAH and had a vaginal sling put in. I am definitely feeling better. Although, the nights sweats and hot flashes are unreal. I have 3 kids (one is a 2 year old) and am pretty exhausted from trying to do even the minimal around the house. My DH has been amazing.
One question I have, has anyone tried to have sex 4 weeks out? I can't believe it, but I really want to but am afraid I will hurt something. Anyone else wondering this?
Also, how much exerecise is everyone doing at this point?
(Thank God I fouund this website. I felt so alone! Thank you!!!! )
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:16 PM

Blondeboggs, please read the checkpoints for weeks 3-4. It has a lot of information about having sex to early and doing to much physically. I also am curious about how much exercise everyone is doing at four weeks. Today is my fourth week post-op and I just started walking on the track yesterday. One lap yesterday(1/3)mile. And 1 mile today. But I am sitting alot. Hard chairs are easier to sit on than soft ones. Is it possible to sit to much? How much is everyone lying down at four weeks?
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:41 PM

Hi, I am four weeks post-op also. I have, for the most part, felt pretty good. I think I may have overdone it a few times, (shopping, etc) and my pain increased quite a bit. Afterwards, I would need some serious rest and quiet and then it would let up. My biggest problems seems to be exhaustion, hot flashes/night sweats, and insomnia. I also was readmitted to the hospital with bilateral pneumonia, so the exhaustion, I am told, is double what it would have been. No further discharge (yeah!) but no signs of sutures either. Lap incisions are more sensitive now than 4 weeks ago!! Ok, speaking of bowels, I can not seem to go without the help of laxatives and stool softeners. Belly is still swollen also. I hope that I answered all!
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:47 PM

I am going on 5 weeks, with an infection at 1 week that left me hospitalized over thanksgiving. I still use the disabled carts at the stores, especially with the long holiday lines. I still have nurses coming daily to change my abdominal bandage and pack whats left of the incision wound which is healing nicely now. (It had to be unstapled and re-opened during the infection)I haven't started exercising, still taking it easy. I sit in the recliner or on the sofa during the day and only go to bed if I am really tired and want a nap. I have had no problems with constipation and didn't even take the colace prescribed after I came home from the hospital. I had a few hot flashes at first but they seem to have gone away, I am sure the cold weather is helping there, lol.
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:27 AM

I think I am doing ok at 4 weeks. I had a LSH with other things including a posterior repair close to the perineum so I am still having trouble sitting normally (donut is my contant companion!). Right after I got home on the 22nd (with no cath - yippee), i started feeling the hot flashes with icey cold aftershocks and moodiness with weepiness. Doc said that my ovaries may be in shock and perscribed low dose estrogen and those symptoms have lessened. What worries me is that she said they may not come back!! Erg. Doc wants me to get out and walk more and said to take my pain meds if I have to before I go walking. Is this crazy? My days are about half in bed and half up and about. I don't do housework and it shows! Driving me crazy(er). I was finally released to be able to bend over and it is weird so I am doing that slightly and slowly. My major complaints are pain in my hips and burning in the perineum area (especially after a long day), and pain when gas, etc is moving around down in my pelvis. Theory is that it is moving near my "stump" (doc term!!) and it is still tender in there. Hope that is the case and this goes away soon. At my 3 week postop, doc felt some mesh (for the anterior repair for cystocele) and I hope this heals before my 6 week check. Sooo sorry this is long. This is my first post about me since surgery. good to talk.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register