4 days post LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post LAVH 4 days post LAVH

Unread 07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
4 days post LAVH

Hi,

Ok, so this is my second time trying to put together a post (the first being in the 'introduce yourself' section)

I am 4 days post-op LAVH, In the past I have had 4 c-sections giving me 5 beautiful children and a number of laparoscopic procedures- On Wednesday (June 27, 2012) of this past week I had a hysterectomy removing my uterus (enlarged with adnomyosis) endometriosis, scar tissue and adhesions. The LAVH is suppose to be a solution for chronic pelvic pain that I have been having for the last few months- Prior to coming to this conclusion I was bounced around from doctor to doctor going to test after test... So for me having an actual plan to do something was a breath of fresh air.

The only problem is, I kind of feel like I have been thrown on a motorcycle without receiving a single lesson. I haven't a clue what I should expect, what is normal and what is not normal.

I made the decision that post op I was going to come to my mom's and rest and recover for a few days (my husband is caring for our 5 children (ages 2-15)- his mom is helping too).
Because I was having so much pelvic pain in the last few months I decided that I was going to do this recovery thing the 'right' way and actually do it- I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I just want to get back to my normal energetic self who can run and play with my children without any pain!

So in a nutshell I need to know what I am looking at here in regards to recovery, I know that every women is different, but I need some kind of a ball park/ idea of what I can expect with in the next few weeks/ months. How much time should I stay at my mom's to allow myself to heal? I feel really confused, and scared. I am a young woman who has been living in the body of someone much older and I am ready to get back to being me.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Re: 4 days post LAVH

Did your doctor or hospital give you a list of restrictions?At the top of this page there is a link called hysterectomy checkpoints. Go there and you will find guidelines for recovery restrictions. It lists things you should and should not be doing at 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks etc. There are some videos there too!!Stay at your Mom's until you can manage to shower and take care of yourself without pain meds. Once you get home your going to need someone there to help with the kids for a while.You shouldn't be lifting, driving, cooking, cleaning, vacuuming, laundry, etc.NO bending, twisting, reaching high, pushing, pulling. Even when you start feeling better you still have a lot of healing going on inside your body. You risk complications and repair surgery if you don;t take it easy.Walk as much as you can tolerate, it is good for you, but don't do much else. No sex until your doctor clears you ( usually 6-8 weeks) same goes for baths.
:cathugs:
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi Kelly
Your case sounds just like mine, in fact could have been written by me ( although I have only had one c section!)
I am one week post LAVH and was sent home 24 hours after surgery! I too came home with very little info but have to say this website and the forums have been invaluable. Of course everyone heals differently so some stories won't apply etc but I just dip in and out of here when I feel a twinge or pain or emotion I'm not sure about.
My husband is being extremely patient with his patient - like you I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired so am for once doing as I'm told and doing nothing! Relinquishing control is difficult and frustrating but I need to heal properly.
:luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Yes I highly recommend watching the post-op videos on this website. They are very helpful.

I have never had a c-section nor any other surgery dealing with female problems except my hysterectomy on April 11th. I have heard from many of my friends that had all the surgeries you listed, and they said their hysterectomy was the hardest to get over.

My Key Advice will be
1) REST, REST, and MORE REST as much as possible for the first 2-3 weeks

2) No heavy lifting.

3) Take your medicine according to the instructions for the first week, you do not want to wait until the pain is so unbearable that it takes forever to get it under control.

4) No driving for 21 days

5) First week - do as you would if you was in the hospital, REST and a few walks here and there, but mostly rest

2nd week- you may go to the store if someone will drive you

3rd week - You may drive, but until you know how your body can handle it I recommend having someone to go with you, and take short distances.

4th week - some people may be able to go back to most of their routine, but you still dont need to vacuum or mop ( tried that, it result in me laying in bed for two days afterwards)

5th-6th week you may be feeling better than ever, where some people still arent able to go back to work

8th week- my dr gave me the green light to have sex. However its been 12 weeks for me and I have only been able to try it once. I hope you have better luck than I have.

If you experience constipation, try milk of magnesia. For gas pains, gas x.

Some bleeding is normal after surgery, but if you soak a pad in an hour seek immediate attention. I bleed for 6 weeks, some days it was more than others, while other days none at all.

I promise ya I totally understand how you feel about being sick and tired of being in constant pain. I hurt for years before I had my surgery. It started just when I had my periods, then it got worst this past Feb. I was in constant pain everyday from Feb23rd till even now. It takes an emotional toll on us women. It breaks my heart everytime I had to tell my kids, sorry baby, but moma hurts, Or I will be laid up in bed in constant pain, or they want me to pick them up, but it hurts just to sit or stand. And lets not even talk about the pain I experience at times having sex. Being in such physical pain for so long, makes you so emotionally tired. I tried talking with friends about it, but unless they have lived it they can't really relate. They try their best to be there for ya, but sometimes I think maybe they are tired of hearing me complain or decline their invitations because I am laid up all the time.

I promise you, you are not alone. I am so thankful to found this website. So many great wonderful women who truly understands. I hope it brings you as much joy and support as it has me.

Good luck on a speedy recovery. If you need someone to talk to, come here. There is someone always around. Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register