Tried everything, want hyst, but too scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tried everything, want hyst, but too scared Tried everything, want hyst, but too scared

Unread 05-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Tried everything, want hyst, but too scared

Thank you for taking the time to write such an encouraging and informative post! You are right about keeping risk in perspective. I think I am overly focused on it because I actually knew someone who died from a hyst, so it makes the statistics more "real" to me. The reason I was considering the fall is because if my 5- and 8-year-old boys had to stay in the house with me for 6 weeks we would all go bonkers! Also, we have a family vacation booked for July that I don't want to deprive them of. But we are supposed to go out of town for Christmas too, so maybe I could wait until January - depends how bad I feel. If I do it, I will ask for the epidural as you suggested, since I've had it three times before with no problems and after pulmonay embolism, GA is my next big worry! Thanks again for the support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2007, 05:12 PM

LMKD, I'm glad you took my post in the light it was meant to be and not got offended at my pointing out risks. I looked up one of your sites just out of curiosity, the Rand one. It seemed pretty unbiased but I wonder if a bit out of date. Even if it's only been since the 90s. So much has changed in many medical management areas, that those stats MAY no longer be so valid. I certainly understand the added fear because of actually knowing someone who had problems. And that is not to say there is nothing to be fearful about, it IS MAJOR surgery. Just try to keep things in perspective on the fear issue. If you'll read through many older posts, it is a common thread among those of us contemplating this adventure. You'll also see that MANY of the very fearful ladies come back and say how out of proportion to the actual deed the fear was.

Timing is indeed the hardest issue once you've decided to go for it. It IS hard to figure out when in our busy hectic lives we can take out 6 weeks to recover. You need to take into account not being allowed to drive for at least 2 weeks (my case it ended up 7weeks and even then I wasn't supposed to be but did). Probably not being able to do much of anything (cooking, certainly cleaning, breaking up fights , packing lunches, beating the kids to do their homework (again), all those fun things) for at least 2 maybe 3 weeks. I just tried vacuuming for the first time at 11 weeks -- moved no furniture and used a lite wt. vacuum-- paid for if for two days in all sorts of hurts and general malaise. Granted my case is a bit unusual because I had a minor complication(s) come up post-hyster. But that's my point, you just can't predict HOW recovery is going to go. Breeze or very slow! For me the not driving was the hardest. My kids are older (18 &13) and helped quite a bit, BUT the school system here doesn't provide buses and my 18 yr.old STILL is not liscenced to drive (doesn't want to). Arranging rides to and from school from them proved difficult on a long term basis. I think if I was you, I'd do the vacation then plan the surgery for early August. That way (again) you wouldn't have time to dwell. But you'd have time to heal before school starts and certainly before the holidays. Maybe mid August so you'd only have to be stuck with the kids at home for a couple weeks (depending on when school starts) but would be at least a minimally up and about person by the time things get fall crazy.
Anyway, just
Guess you can tell, I'm a get it done now sort of person. I had to wait about 2 months to get my hyster. after it was decided we'd do one. The waiting drove me NUTS. I'm now having to wait to finish hyster. healing before dealing with the current problem. It/They and the waiting are again driving me NUTS. I want this new thing "fixed" and to get on with my life. Especially since I KNOW I'll be moving next spring and possibly my DH being deployed at the same time. I don't want to put off these new repairs very long at all.

Do your research, voice concerns and questions here and we'll support you with any decision and keep you focused no matter how long the wait. LJC
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM

LMKD - you are not crazy . I went through the same thoughts and worries. I even added my DS to my property title & mortage.
Because I have issues with my blood I was given shots 2x/day in the stomach to help prevent embolisims (having one of those moments & can't remember what).
Don't be afraid to ask the dr lots of questions. Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2007, 08:22 AM

I completely understand how you feel. I am 7 weeks post-op and I was terrified of the same thing ~ leaving my four children without their mother and the sheer thought of the 2 year old and 3 month old never remembering me or how much I love them was almost enough to make me back out completely!

Sooo...one afternoon when the boys were in school and the 2 little ones were napping, I made a cup of tea, stood in the sunlight by a window, and quietly thought about my life as it was that minute. I was in the middle of a visit from Aunt Flo and I just canceled a lunch date with my mother because I was afraid I was going to flood, I was having a hard time dealing with the stabbing pain of the adeno. I was an emotional wreck and had been snippy with my 2 yr old princess all morning. I didn't want to be like that for another day but I still needed to convince myself.

Then I tried to imagine myself feeling better, no pain, no bleeding, happy and playing with my children. Such a peace came over me that I decided to go through with the surgery. I had days after when I wondered what I had done...

Now, other than feeling run ragged by my houseful of kids, I feel happier, more relaxed and healthier than I have felt in months. I am not afraid to leave the house. I am starting to feel good about my decision to go through with it. Most of all, I LOVE being a mom and being able to do more things with the kiddos!

Good luck in your decision and I pray that you have peace of mind with whatever decision you make!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register