Ideas to stem panic in the last day? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ideas to stem panic in the last day? Ideas to stem panic in the last day?

Unread 11-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Ideas to stem panic in the last day?

I head to the castle on Wednesday. Even though I've been doing my best to keep busy and keep the panic at bay, I've been crying even more out of the blue, and even caught myself nearly hyperventilating last night (I managed to get my breathing under control, when I realized what was happening).

I worked like a maniac last night so I could from home today for my lovely 4pm surgery cocktail and I feel like if I go to work, maybe would it be better... ugh, I know everyone says it's fast it gets better... but I'm having this for hyperplasia with atypia that keeps coming back, I've been fortunate that my long periods are very infrequent and ever since I went on birth control, the pain quite manageable. I feel like all I'm having this for is a lab report. Yes, I won't miss never having a D&C again (I've had 7 and thank God the last time they were able to do a biopsy).

I'm afraid my blood pressure will be through the roof in the morning...

Thanks for listening, I just needed a good vent, but if anyone has any coping strategies, I'd be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Re: Ideas to stem panic in the last day?

Call your doctor and see if they will prescribe something to get you through this. I understand what you are going through. I am in the same boat but am waiting until next Wednesday. If your surgeon won't give you something to calm your nerves, call your pcp and explain to them what is going on and see if they can help. Prayers for strentgh, calming peace and healing graces...
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM

Atavan. I really regret not asking for anti-anxiety drugs as I was a mess until surgery was over.

However, two things I did that helped a little, beyond getting a nurse to talk to me (I was left alone in a pre-op room for too long and had a meltdown):

Take deep breaths. Anything to slow down your breathing will help you feel a little calmer.
Move parts of your body, especially your legs.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM

I wish I had some mystical magic cure for the panic. All I have is prayers for you and a wish for an uneventful procedure and speedy recovery.
I guess you could try checking that everything is in place for afterward, and do any last minute prep.
Did you wash your bed clothes, stick your tounge out at strangers, dance around your living room. Sing your favorite song. Shave your legs, cut your toenails.
Good Luck and God speed.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Thanks Sisters! I really don't want to do that atavan, as I hate drugs that control your emotions... pet peeve that I'm kicking myself for right now.

I do think I'll try some of those things including dance around my living room :-) I'm a swing dancer and not being able to do it for a few weeks really is not fun. I spent last weekend doing as many fun things as I possibly could.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM

My advice is as soon as you check into the castle and go back to the pre op prep area tell the nurses you're anxious!! They're so nice, friendly and understanding. Ask to see the anesthesiologist and tell him/her you're nervous. I did and it helped. Just expressing my fears was a huge relief. It goes so very fast and it's over before you know it. The waiting is truly the worst I promise.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM

I know everyone has told you that this is the hardest time....but it is so true!
I was able to calm a few days before. I had everything prepared, arranged, cleaned....so I took care of myself.
I went for a mani pedi....totally relaxed...didn't talk.
The day before, I went for a massage.
I had bought a calming rain sound album from Itunes. I listened and meditated. When I was in the op prep area...I listened. This helped to keep me calm, especially when I was told that the surgeons were running 30 minutes behind.
I hope that this helps somewhat.
Unread 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM

I second beccajow's suggestion - I was a nervous wreck - I cried like a child - literally - choking sobs, scrunched up crying face, the whole nine. I told every professional within earshot what a wreck I was (though it was tough to miss LOL), and that's what helped me. The staff were so incredibly kind and caring - my surgeon even came in and talked to me about his fear of flying (which we share). For me, this was the hardest part by far. Will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Hugs and healthy, calming vibes
Unread 11-13-2012, 12:32 PM

I have to say that the way pre-op is handled can make a huge difference. I had a cyst surgery (very similar to hysterectomy) five years ago and, while I did not sleep the night before, pre-op was done in my room and someone was with me almost the whole time. I was somewhat stressed out but did not melt down.

I had different insurance and was in a different hospital for the hysterectomy. Pre-op was a long line of curtained areas, with all different types of surgeries being prepped there. There was no privacy, beyond a curtain. My husband wasn't allowed in at first (why, I have no idea). I was left there for about 20 minutes or so, with no one telling me anything. Luckily, the bathroom was next door, so I got up, went to the bathroom, had mild hysterics, then waylaid the first nurse who came by. She talked to me for a while, and helped get me checked in. Then they let my husband come in for a while, and the anesthesiologist stopped by. I was still upset by finally got a grip on myself.
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone. Almost Free, thank you for sharing. I was feeling like I was some freak by having the uncontrolled hysterics today. I understood it in the beginning, but it wasn't going away.

I know I have terror of surgery and even tried a therapist and he didn't find anything outside the realm of normal... I'm like, seriously?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register