Desperate Need Of Advice (surgery 2/25) - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Desperate Need Of Advice (surgery 2/25) Desperate Need Of Advice (surgery 2/25)

Unread 02-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Desperate Need Of Advice (surgery 2/25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhiggins33 View Post
Hey there princesslulu22, I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy (was able to keep my ovaries) for cervical cancer. My incision was horizontal not vertical but I would encourage you to think about getting a belly binder they work well for any incision type. I got both the regular one and the one with the pocket for cold packs (from the HysterSisters store) and they are truly a Godsend. The extra support of the incision area and the cool packs when I feel more swollen or tender are so wonderful!

Be sure you have good help so you can rest and recover. Some days you may feel more energy than others and you need to be able to listen to your body and rest when you need it!

I am thanking God that I had a good outcome and a great gyn oncologist (which it sounds like you do too) I will be praying for you both as you prepare and for your surgery. You're gonna do great! Please come back to this thread after your surgery and update us when you are up to it. Big Hugs!
Thank you, I'm definitely going to check out the belly binder. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip123 View Post
For comfort, I suggest nightgowns or loose-fitting cotton dresses. My hysterectomy wasn't abdominal, but I still didn't want anything touching my stomach. Also, keep good track of when you take what medicines & the dosage. It's so easy to lose track! I'd suggest having stool softeners on hand. I started taking them as soon as I got home & used them for about a month to try to make BM's as easy as possible. Holding you up in prayer...
Thank you, great tips!
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Re: Desperate Need Of Advice

Hi, I
Had a great 4+wk check up. Am healing slow but am doing great. You will do well also.

I actually had a note pad next to my meds with a schedule of times and checked them off as I took my meds. Then as I got better I still forgot to take them and realized I could start stretching them out and finally stopped taking all together.

I had Colace stool softener on hand and started it a few days before surgery as constipation is an on going problem for me. You might ask your Dr. And now I am still taking it. I only had a couple times that it was a problem so far. But sure wouldn't want it to be one.

Hope all is going well with you're getting ready time. It both seems such a long wait and then it is just around the corner and you wonder if you have forgotten something. Keep busy and try not to worry too much.lol.

Hugs,
Anndy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndy View Post
Hi, I
Had a great 4+wk check up. Am healing slow but am doing great. You will do well also.

I actually had a note pad next to my meds with a schedule of times and checked them off as I took my meds. Then as I got better I still forgot to take them and realized I could start stretching them out and finally stopped taking all together.

I had Colace stool softener on hand and started it a few days before surgery as constipation is an on going problem for me. You might ask your Dr. And now I am still taking it. I only had a couple times that it was a problem so far. But sure wouldn't want it to be one.

Hope all is going well with you're getting ready time. It both seems such a long wait and then it is just around the corner and you wonder if you have forgotten something. Keep busy and try not to worry too much.lol.

Hugs,
Anndy
Glad that you're healing well.
I had a ct scan (my first ever) yesterday but everything went well. Also had my pre-op with the surgeon and pre-op at the hospital for all the testing. They said unless they see a big change in the scan or find something in my blood work that my next step is check in for surgery at 6:30am on the 25th. I went shopping and got all the panties, nightgowns that button up the front, house slippers with good rubber bottoms, and a nice robe. Today I'm concentrating on cleaning my house. Trying to get all the laundry caught up and deep clean everything so that I won't have to worry about do much when I get home. Tomorrow, I'm going to match up entire outfits for each kid to make it easier for my hubby. Also, need to go grocery shopping to stock the pantry and freezer with easy to do meals for my husband and kids. It does seem like there is still do much to do and so little time! But, I'm also praying that this last week passes quickly because I'm ready to get this over with. I think my biggest worry right now is my kids. I know my husband is very capable, but since I'm a stay at home mother, I haven't been away from them much at all. They have never even spent the night away from me with the exception of when I was giving birth. I've never been away from my youngest. And now to spend five days without them, I hate the thought. :-(
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Can't remember will they be at home or stay with someone? Will they visit at hospital? Or can you call them each night so they know all is well? Maybe you can Skype so they and you can see that all are doing ok. I think the best thing is letting them know this is something needed and you are on top of it so they won't worry. And it sounds like you are at least from my perspective.
Hugs,
Anndy
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslulu22 View Post
Glad that you're healing well.
I had a ct scan (my first ever) yesterday but everything went well. Also had my pre-op with the surgeon and pre-op at the hospital for all the testing. They said unless they see a big change in the scan or find something in my blood work that my next step is check in for surgery at 6:30am on the 25th. I went shopping and got all the panties, nightgowns that button up the front, house slippers with good rubber bottoms, and a nice robe. Today I'm concentrating on cleaning my house. Trying to get all the laundry caught up and deep clean everything so that I won't have to worry about do much when I get home. Tomorrow, I'm going to match up entire outfits for each kid to make it easier for my hubby. Also, need to go grocery shopping to stock the pantry and freezer with easy to do meals for my husband and kids. It does seem like there is still do much to do and so little time! But, I'm also praying that this last week passes quickly because I'm ready to get this over with. I think my biggest worry right now is my kids. I know my husband is very capable, but since I'm a stay at home mother, I haven't been away from them much at all. They have never even spent the night away from me with the exception of when I was giving birth. I've never been away from my youngest. And now to spend five days without them, I hate the thought. :-(
Yeah the waiting time is tough once you are ready to just get it over with (I had to wait over 6 weeks for a biopsy to heal before they could do my surgery and was so ready to just "do this thing"!) but all the prep work for your family and around the house will help the time pass and help you feel ready too. And don't forget to do somethings nice for yourself too, pampering like a mani/pedi or just something you like to do to refresh (I took a lot of of our favorite hikes with my hubby and a lot of long hot bubble baths in the days before my procedure because I love them and because I knew I'd be missing them in the recovery time!)
I had an emergency appendectomy when our four kids were all under six, the youngest was a year and half, I spent three nights in the hospital and they all did great in their daddy's loving care and today they don't even remember it! It sounds like you have a supportive and loving hubby who will take great care of your kiddos. Your job is to get the rest you need to recover well. You only get one chance to do this recovery and it is so tempting with little ones to just get back to your routine, especially because the little ones don't always understand your limitations and the "why's" but you have to fight that temptation. You mentioned you didn't want horror stories and I can say so far I don't have one cause I read all the others and it really made me determined to do my recovery right!

I don't know if you found it yet but there is a mister hyster site related to this one that has a lot of good info for husbands/caregivers. My husband appreciated it, somehow it was better for him to hear it from the website than me!

Still praying daily for you princesslulu22, I just know you are going to do great through all of this! Hugs!
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndy View Post
Can't remember will they be at home or stay with someone? Will they visit at hospital? Or can you call them each night so they know all is well? Maybe you can Skype so they and you can see that all are doing ok. I think the best thing is letting them know this is something needed and you are on top of it so they won't worry. And it sounds like you are at least from my perspective.
Hugs,
Anndy
They will stay at home with a sitter while I'm gone and my husband is with me or working. My husband will be home with them every night. As long as I look okay, they are supposed to come visit. I'd hate to scare them if I'm still hooked up to tubes and stuff, so they probably won't visit or skype the first couple of days.
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah the waiting time is tough once you are ready to just get it over with (I had to wait over 6 weeks for a biopsy to heal before they could do my surgery and was so ready to just "do this thing"!) but all the prep work for your family and around the house will help the time pass and help you feel ready too. And don't forget to do somethings nice for yourself too, pampering like a mani/pedi or just something you like to do to refresh (I took a lot of of our favorite hikes with my hubby and a lot of long hot bubble baths in the days before my procedure because I love them and because I knew I'd be missing them in the recovery time!)
I had an emergency appendectomy when our four kids were all under six, the youngest was a year and half, I spent three nights in the hospital and they all did great in their daddy's loving care and today they don't even remember it! It sounds like you have a supportive and loving hubby who will take great care of your kiddos. Your job is to get the rest you need to recover well. You only get one chance to do this recovery and it is so tempting with little ones to just get back to your routine, especially because the little ones don't always understand your limitations and the "why's" but you have to fight that temptation. You mentioned you didn't want horror stories and I can say so far I don't have one cause I read all the others and it really made me determined to do my recovery right!

I don't know if you found it yet but there is a mister hyster site related to this one that has a lot of good info for husbands/caregivers. My husband appreciated it, somehow it was better for him to hear it from the website than me!

Still praying daily for you princesslulu22, I just know you are going to do great through all of this! Hugs!
I didn't know about the mister hyster site, so I'm going to look that up. The anxiety is taking a toll on me, so I'm definitely going to take that advice of a mani/pedi. I could definitely use the mental break. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, it really means a lot. And as a Christian woman, of course I appreciate the prayers. I can prepare and prepare until I'm blue in the face but I believe the most important preparations I can make is still prayer. Thanks, again.
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslulu22 View Post
I didn't know about the mister hyster site, so I'm going to look that up. The anxiety is taking a toll on me, so I'm definitely going to take that advice of a mani/pedi. I could definitely use the mental break. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, it really means a lot. And as a Christian woman, of course I appreciate the prayers. I can prepare and prepare until I'm blue in the face but I believe the most important preparations I can make is still prayer. Thanks, again.
It's so okay and normal to be on top of anxiety hill right now. I am a Christian too and I say Amen to the power of prayers! (I really clung to Psalm 62:5-8 in my waiting time, He is my rock and refuge AND He wants me to pour out my heart to Him! And boy, did I ever, but it really helped especially in the anxious moments.)
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the prayers of my family, church family and friends that have sustained me, my hubby and kids throughout this uncertain time. I give God all the glory! You have a praying friend from California in me and I just know He's going to see you through!
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
It's so okay and normal to be on top of anxiety hill right now. I am a Christian too and I say Amen to the power of prayers! (I really clung to Psalm 62:5-8 in my waiting time, He is my rock and refuge AND He wants me to pour out my heart to Him! And boy, did I ever, but it really helped especially in the anxious moments.)
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the prayers of my family, church family and friends that have sustained me, my hubby and kids throughout this uncertain time. I give God all the glory! You have a praying friend from California in me and I just know He's going to see you through!
Thank you so much! That means the world to me! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register