Terrified!! Ultrasound scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrified!! Ultrasound scheduled Terrified!! Ultrasound scheduled

Unread 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Terrified!! Ultrasound scheduled

Hello,
First time posting. Found this site a few days ago. I have spent many nights crying my eyes out. Went to DR to discuss thermal ablation. Surprise- Huge fibroids!! Fell apart in the office. I really like my uterus. Hubby and I ( 22yrs) have a great sex life and I really enjoy those deep uterine contractions at the climax. DR said don't worry you don't need your uterus anymore anyway (youngest child 13)! I was so freaked out I couldn"t even discuss it. Wanted to do biopsy right then YEEEOOOWWW! Didn"t tell me that was coming. Scheduled for ultrasound Tuesday 3-11-08. I"ve been doing a crash course educating myself about hystos. Does anyone know, can I at least keep my cervix if it has fibroids in it too?
Thanks New Sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 06:32 PM

First, I'm not sure I would want a doctor who said you don't need your uterus anyway. A second opinion is never amiss, and since the doctor obviously wants you to have a hysterectomy, and you are not sure, a second opinion could be helpful. I am not an expert, and even if I were I don't know your case, but hysterectomy is not always the only solution for fibriods. If a hysterectomy is necessary to alleviate your problems it could be possible to keep your cervix, and it is possible you choose to have a total hysterectomy done once you have all the information. Be sure to ask your doctor about alternatives. Unless you have cancer, there are usually alternatives. If your doctor does not respect you enough to discuss your care with you, you certainly need a second opinion. Only you can decide what is best for you. Explore this site and the internet. I have found them invaluable. Make sure you understand your choices and make the best one for you. A TAH-BSO was best for me. I am less than a week postop, but I am happy with my decision. But it was MY decision, no one elses.
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:06 PM

Hey Proud Princess,
Thanks for your response. I guess I'll know more after my ultrasound. I was pretty shocked that he said "You don't need your uterus anyway!" I decided then that I may be looking for another opinion. Biopsy negative, physical exam indicated fibroids the size of at least 12 week pregnancy.
It would be nice not to have these awful, AWFUL periods anymore. Someone out there probably knows the kind.. Bring extra clothes, cancel social plans, keep Advils profit margins high and miss out on about two weeks of my life every month!
Anyway thanks for the advice. I've been reading much on the internet and found this to be the most candid and helpful site I've found.
Thanks Again,
CJ ( Creaturecuddler )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Hello Creaturecuddler and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

Because you do not have a hysterectomy date scheduled and are exploring options, I have moved your question to the Options Forum so that women who succceeded in avoiding a hysterectomy can share. Thousands of women have had alternative treatment for bothersome fibroids including a myomectomy. Be smart about your symptoms and options so that you make the medical decisions that wind up being the best ones for you.

Many women report a less-than-satisfying post-hysterectomy sex life while others say their sex life is better after a hysterectomy. There is no way to tell ahead of time into which group you'll land. The best advice I have is to share your concerns with your personal physician. You may also find the following article helpful:

Is Sex Really the Same?

There are many different types of hysterectomy procedures and some involve retaining the cervix. If you do decide to proceed with scheduling a hysterectomy, be sure to ask your doctor to explain all of these options to you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM

Thankyou Carmen for your interception, redirection and advice. I will continue educating myself before I make any decisions.
Thanks again,
Creaturecuddler AKA CJ
Unread 03-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Hi Creaturecuddler,

I might suggest getting a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion too.

I got two opinions myself and it is still one of the best things I ever did. My ultrasound showed I had two fibroids measuring the size of a 15 week pregnancy. I was in shock...and that is putting it mildly!!! The news was tough. My Dr. only suggested a total abdominal hyst. She said I was not a candidate for a less invasive hyst.

I cried for (3) days..literally..the end of the world would have felt better.. and then I decided to get a 2nd opinion. My 2nd Dr. suggested a laparoscopic hyst after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for the less invasive hyst type. Lupron is not for everyone and you might check it out. After (3) months, my fibroids did shrink enough - to the size of a 9 week pregnancy total. I was a go for surgery.

So...just do your research. Lots and lots. Possibly you are a good candidate for a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization)?? The procedure shrinks fibroids and leaves the uterus intact.

Generally, a hyst for fibroids is an elective surgery...a quality of life issue. It was for me. And a hyst is *major* surgery...so do not feel rushed into any decision without a lot of thought.

I kept my cervix since I was a good candidate. My Dr. told me after my hyst that my largest fibroid was sitting right on top of my cervix. I also had my cervix cauterized during my LSH.

My hyst is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health. That being said...in the end...do what is *best* for you. That is *THE* most important thing.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 03-08-2008, 11:38 PM

Hi - it is quite a shock isn't it? I was so naive - I'd never even heard of fibroids. Then I said - OOOHHHH - that's why all these people are having hysterectomies. Take some time and do some research. There are other alternatives to treat fibroids besides hysterectomy - though my doctor didn't suggest any of them either - I had to find out about them on my own. I ended up choosing UFE and that worked well for me. Take your time and investigate all your options.
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:31 AM

CJ
You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Now that you have taken a deep breath and know that you do have options you can decide what is best for YOU. My problem was the never ending (or at least almost never ending) period due to a combination of fibroids, adenomyosis, and endometrial hyperplasia. Despite trying a few options that were supposed to control my period, I was off my period less that 3 weeks from August to March 4, when I had my hyst. Several of the sisters have chosen other options and are satisfied with the results. A few of the sisters have chosen a hysterectomy and are not happy with the results. Since this is a quality of life issue, only you can decide what the best quality of life for you. Good luck in your journey. You are in my prayers. Remember the sisters are always here.
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:36 AM
There IS life after a hyster

I had TVH Jan 29, 2008. It was the BEST thing that happened to me. We had sex this morning and it was the best sex ever! The O was different but a good different. This site will help you SO much. Ask anything, do searches, read, read, read!

Good Luck

Kim
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Creaturecuddler, there is a procedure called a myomectomy (myo=muscle and ectomy=removing) that you should research. You can have your fibroids removed that way and still keep your uterus. You don't HAVE to have a hysterectomy to get rid of fibroids.
I totally understand your desire to keep your uterus - I too have lovely contractions of my uterus when I have an orgasm, and I REALLY don't want to lose that part of our lovemaking.
My issues are different - but I am gathering information so I can make an informed choice about what to do with my "girl parts".
Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register