new with worries and questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new with worries and questions new with worries and questions

Unread 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
new with worries and questions

I am scheduled to have surgery next Thursday (March 13). Right now, I am only scheduled for a laparoscopy to remove a large ovarian cyst and perhaps the ovary also (the cyst is possibly a cystadenoma that seems to have taken over the ovary). But, I also have fibroids, an enlarged uterus (12 weeks), and a possible polyp. I am having a diagnostic hysteroscopy next MOnday (3/10) so my doctor can better evaluate what is going on before the surgery.

I'm nervous about the hysteroscopy and having it done the same week of surgery. I'm scared because I don't know how much extra surgery I will need for anything other than the cyst. It is all happening so fast. I'm 39 and have not had children. I'm extremely overwhelmed right now.

These are the main questions I have right now:

1.Does anyone have any info about a diagnostic hysteroscopy? The doctor's office made it sound like the worst effect is some cramping during and spotting afterwards. I'm already very cramped up, bloated, and uncomfortable. I was told to take 2 Motrin 1 hour before the test.

2. My doctor mentioned a possible abdominal myomectomy for the fibroids - I think because of their location. From what I have been reading in books, this sounds like a risky surgery and a long revcovery. Has anyone had this surgery that can tell me what it was like?

3. I usually react to anesthesia with nausea and vomiting. I also get bladder spams/infection after anything is inserted in my bladder. This is making me very worried especially because of all the different medicines I will need: pain, nausea, antibiotic, and spasm med. Did anyone else have issues or experiences like this after surgery?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM

I had a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and D&C all at the same time. I was a bit sore after the procedures but probably more from the cleaning up of endometriosis than anything else.

If you do not do well with anesthesia, talk to your doctor an the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Since I get sick I am always given a cocktail of some sort to help prevent the nausea and throwing up. It is not fun to wake up dry heaving!

Talk to your doctor about the issues with your bladder prior to surgery. Possibly some medications can be given to help with the spasming before it even starts. Some doctors may be willing to give you an antibiotic ahead of time but soe will not. I did develop a UTI after my hysterectomy but didn't with either of my other two surgeries involving a catheter.

For the fibroid and myomectomy question, you may want to do a site search and check out our Fibroid Resources.

I wish you well and hope the procedures go well!
Unread 03-09-2008, 07:26 PM

hi mfc,

As you can see by my signature line, I just had a lap in Feb. to remove a fibroid- this was perfect (so my Dr. said) for a DaVinci robotic lap and it was not that large. I also had hysteroscopy and a D&C while I was under anesthesia. The recovery period is longer for an ab myo- I was told 6 weeks off work for that, my dr. recommended 3 weeks off for the type I had. As far as being more risky- from all the books and things I have read I think it depends how big your fibroids are and what type of health you are in right now.

I also get very sick from the anesthesia, and was afraid of it happening! Your anesthesiologist will come in and speak with you in pre-op, if you let him/her know, there are many things they can do to prevent this. They used a different type of anesthesia for me, gave me some anti-nausea meds in my IV, and a put a patch behind my ear. I still did have a few episodes of nausea, but the nurses also gave me some meds for that. And, I didnt get sick this time! My anesthesiologist even came by my room to see me the next morning to see how I was doing and he was thrilled I didn't get sick.

I did have a catheter in during surgery, but it was taken out before I woke up. I was only in surgery for 2 hours so I didn't have any issues with spasms or anything, but like Weiser said, thats probably something you can speak to your dr. about.

Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM

I really appreciate both replies! I do plan to talk with my doctor (again) about all my issues as well as the anesthesiologist. I had anesthesia reactions to my 2 last surgeries, one which was last year (tonsillectomy), so I am worried about that again. They gave me lots of drugs to counteract nausea, but I still threw up alot and several times.

AngelKitten: I've noticed that several people mentioned the patch behind the ear (as you did), and I will ask about that. I'm glad that your surgery went well. What did you mean by "a different type of anesthesia?" I'm very curious since you said that you usually have problems as well, but did not this Feb.
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:12 AM

mfc90p,

By "different type of anesthesia", they told me they used some other drugs to put me to sleep rather than what they normally use- told me it it is less prone to cause nausea. Sorry but I can't remember the name of it that the anesthesilogist told me! I really hope they can come up with a good combination to prevent you getting sick this time, I know that is not fun while trying to recover! Another thing that helped me is my sister brought me some ginger candies to suck on while I was in the hospital, if you can find those. She bought them for me from Whole Foods.
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi angelkitten

Thanks again for the info. I will be sure to tell the anesthesiologist that I need a new drug combo as the one they used last time did not work even though they tried to give me stuff to prevent nausea and vomiting. I have the list of drugs used, so hopefully he/she will take a look at it.

I shop often at Whole Foods and will look for the ginger candies. Right now I have ginger tea and ginger capsules, but no candy. That's a good idea!

Thanks!
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM

You sound very, very, well prepared which is great! I'm sure they'll be able to come up with a good combo for you. I also have some sweet ginger green tea that I am now addicted to- I have tummy issues frequently (ibs) and I will sip some of the tea slowly and eat a piece or 2 of the ginger candy along with it and it does help!
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Just want to give you a little support. I agree that it is so good that you are asking these questions. After my first lap in '95 I was very very sick, since then I tell every anesthesiologist and have not been sick with my following five surgeries. I think I had Zofran the last few.

If only they had a little gas pain shot!

I hope everything will work out well for you!
betts
Unread 03-30-2008, 04:43 PM

I had my surgery on March 13, and amazingly, I did not get sick afterwards!! I had other issues (bladder, etc.) so it was extra nice not to have my usual daylong vomiting and nausea issues. I spoke for awhile with the anesthesiologist ahead of time and showed him copies of my hospital receipts from previous surgeries and he decided to change me from morphine to another drug ANd he gave me one of those scopolamine patches behind my ear!!! It really worked. I did vomit once, but not until 4 days later when the patch was no longer in place. So, this was great. Thanks for the info ahead of time. I'm living proof that it is possible not to get sick after surgery -as I always do - I get nauseated from all drugs, even OTC. So, this was a miracle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register