Dental Problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dental Problems Dental Problems

Unread 07-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Dental Problems

Just curious.. sinse my surgery in Feb. I have had a "different" taste in my mouth.. metallic is the only way to describe it. In April, I went to the dentist with a "mercury" filled tooth that had "cracked" .. it was unbearable causing blisters on the side of my tongue next to my tooth. The dentist replaced it with a composite filling... unfortunately he did not take precautions when removing the mercury filling. I continue to have great sensitivity on that side of my mouth.. gums. My tongue and roof of my mouth feels as though it is on fire... this increases during the day. Initially I thought it might have all been from the anesthisia used during surgery. This week.. I had a virul infection, with ulcers on the gums above the "composite" tooth. I know this may not even be related to my surgery, but I am looking for answers. This situation is needless to say playing havoc with my emotions. I am on Estrace for hormone therapy. Could synthetic horomones have anything to do with the "burning" sensation. My dentist has not taken me seriously on this situation. I am at present looking at a protocol for mercury removal. Any comments or suggestions will be helpful. I am drinking a lot of water... holding the water in my mouth gives me relief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Dental Problems

Wow,
Now I am concerned. My tah-bso was 7/3 Monday. Ever since my mouth has been a complete wreck. First in the hospital when I went to brush my teeth the first night. Every single tooth in my mouth was sensitive, it was like when you eat candy and have a cavity. It was so shocking because the feeling was tremendous in every tooth. I warmed the water and brushed lightly to get it over with. My whole mouth still feels imflammed a bit, my inside cheeks are literally peeling skin and shedding. My teeth are better as far as the sensitivity, it went away by the 3rd day. I brushed my teeth after dinner tonight and turned my brush around to try and brush out all the loose skin that's peeling, that helped a lot. Every single thing I eat tastes either too spicy and it's not. Or it tastes weird/off. I do have a taste in my mouth but it's not metallic. My tongue feels swollen. I am going to ask the Doc what this is about. I thought it was from the anesthesia too. Also before surgery they gave me a shot in my butt that is required by the anesthesist to dry all the mucus secretions in the mouth and throat, it's routine for them to give this. My surgery got delayed about 25 mins so it was really affecting me before they rolled me in. It dried up my nose and I felt horrible. One side of my nose became hard to breathe out of.That is when I lost it, started to cry over this whole thing and was saying good bye to my uterus and thanking it for 3 beautiful children also saying good riddance due to all the pain it caused me. I don't think I was supposed to be awake at that point, should have been in la la land by then, but there was a little delay getting started.
So I realize my taste buds are so outta wack, brushing is not as refresing as it was prior to. I hope this goes away and happens asap. I don't think I'm being much help to you but hopefully we'll both get some answers since you started this post and I added to it. Let's see what we get back. Thanks and I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.
Liz
Unread 07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Dry mouth

Hi,
I was given a shot to dry out my mouth also. It made my gums very sore and red. I had a difficult time swallowing after surgery due to the lack of saliva. When I got home from the castle I used a mouthwash called Biotene. It was very helpful. It helps your mouth to produce its own saliva. I need to use it often because I have dry mouth from the medications I am on. Sensodyne makes one also called Oasis. I have not tried it yet. Hope this helps
Springdove3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Dental Problems

I have had a stange mouth since surgery also, I have a orange color to my tongue now. I did get one of the tongue scrapers, it has helped, I saw the Dr last week she said it was probably my hormones out of wack, I notice my tongue kinda burns a bit and food tastes off sometimes and other times i notie nothing...

I am not on any HRT.. I am going to a OBGYN on Tuesday maybe they can tell me more than my Internal Med Doc..

I just moved so getting a new Dr for evrything...
Unread 07-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Dental Problems

Thanks for the info. I'm bumping this up to see if we can get more feedback!
Unread 07-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Dental Problems

Hi everyone,

I have had some diminished ablilty to taste some things, salt is what I've noticed the most. Even when family says it is well salted. I'm nearly 9 wks now and it has improved. I always have a dry feeling in my mouth, "probably from allergy meds", so I'm told. I will try to find the mouth rinse you mentioned, springdove3, thank you!

shalomjet and Liz1992, perhaps you two should talk with your dr or dentist, it could be you have something like thrush. I've seen others post about it being rather common after surgery.

Liz1992 the swelling has me concerned for you. My dentist recommended Colgate for sensitive teeth over other brands. Turned out my tooth wasn't just sensitive tho', my tooth had cracked and was causing the pain and the dentist couldn't see the fracture. Had to send me to a root canal dr. I had it pulled as the root canal couldn't be guaranteed to work.

And shalomjet the mouth sores could indicate you are allergic to something the dentist used when removing your filling. I have a friend who had blisters and bad swelling everytime she went in for dental work, or even just a check up. Her dentist tried different types/brands of gloves, numbing agent, etc. Finally she went to a different dentist and it helped a lot. Perhaps she was allergic to the other dentist! =-)

Hope this helps someone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register