Da Vinci Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Da Vinci Surgery Da Vinci Surgery

Unread 08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Da Vinci Surgery

HI all and thank you having this web site, It has helped in calming my nerves a little...lol. Has anyone recently had the Da Vinci full Hyster done? I have been looking into it an have seen a lot of new cases against this. I am schedule for mine on the 14th of this month, due to 2 large tumors one 9cm and one 15cm. I am still a little nervous from the outcome on how I will feel, but I feel good about my doctor, he is well know and not only has used this device but teached how to across the country. I know everyone is different, just wanted to see if anyone has had the Robotic done. Didn't see any responses from anyone whom has. Thank you and good luck to everyone schedule and congrats to all that made it thru!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Re: Da Vinci Surgery

I had DaVinci on July 17th. My uterus and cervix was removed. I was able to keep both ovaries.

My doc has performed hundred of laparoscopic surgeries but only 10 DV surgeries. What calmed me was that Dr. <> was in surgery with her for my procedure and I fully trust my doctor.

I've had a pretty normal recovery. It's slow as all hysterectomies are, but I think I was moving around easier because if the less invasive technique.

I was off of heavy pain meds by day 6 and have to take ibruprofen just before bed. I rest better and that great rest helps me feel better each day.

My 2 week post op went great, and I go back in a couple of weeks for my 6 week post op.

Each person is different. Talk to your doctor and make the decision that's right for you. Hope that helps!
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM

I totally understand your concerns about the surgery. I looked into DVH and saw the lawsuits as well. I also decided to really research the entire process. Here's what I learned (in a nut shell). Many of those cases involve in experienced surgeons. Get yourself a surgeon who's passed the learning curve (around 100 surgeries as I recall). That's the single biggest factor in complication rates. The more experienced the surgeon, the less likely to have complications.

No matter what, surgery comes with risks. We can reduce those as much as possible, but we can't eliminate the risks. Lawyers are infamous (and I've worked with and for a few) for finding the few cases where things go wrong and use those to sue people. If they can advertise them, make these issues known, then they can have more clients because they cast a wider net. I'm not saying don't worry about it. I am saying that if you do your own due diligence then you have less to worry about. Which would you prefer? Keyhole surgery or a laparatomy (where they open you up completely)?

Ultimately, I would go with the experienced surgeon and the keyhole. Mine had to be converted to open ab, so I got ALL the cool-kid scars. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Ugh, I'm tired. Sorry for those typos and misspellings! Not very Grammarly of me.
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Had DaVinci 6 weeks ago Wednesday. Received an email from this site reminding me - otherwise, I wouldn't even remember!

I have always done well with surgery and this was no different. Only reason I even took pain pills was because I felt so good I was concerned I'd over do it.

Went out to brunch 4 days later, driving and running errands on day 5.

Good luck and hope you have the same experience I did!
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lspradlin13 View Post
I have been looking into it an have seen a lot of new cases against this [daVinci].
The da Vinci robot is a tool. None of the tools--robot, scalpel--dictate their own movements; they only do what the surgeon tells them to do.

Thus, the key is the skill and knowledge of your surgeon and his/her familiarity with the tools that will be used during your surgery. If you are not comfortable with your surgeon and your surgeon has not used the tools long enough to be proficient, then you should second guess your decision.

Unread 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM

I just had the DvH. My dr works for the company who makes the robot and trains other drs too. The quality of your surgery is directly related to how skilled your surgeon is, regardless of proceedure. So far my recovery has been textbook.
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM

I had the DvH 8 weeks ago and it took me 8 solid weeks to feel 100% recovered. I actually jogged today! My surgeon has done hundreds of these and also teaches...but...I have to say, it didn't feel less invasive to me. Maybe just my bad luck, but I had a fever for 10 days post op, 2 infections, horrible night sweats even though I still have my ovaries, 3 days of crying, bladder issues, constipation issues, gas pains....all of this was over by 2 weeks post op but my energy came back slowly week by week. Lots of naps for 4 weeks, still achy until 7 weeks. Feel great now though! My friend had a laproscopic hysterectomy without the robot, leaving the cervix and tubes alone...only taking the uterus with fibroids. She was 100% better at 2 weeks. I wish I could have had her surgeon and approach. Mine felt very invasive. Maybe my body just can't handle surgeries...?
It sure was a learning experience. I would ask as many questions as possible and maybe even go to different surgeons and get 3 opinions. Good luck.
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM

I had DaVinci 18 days ago and I feel great. I haven't had anything except ibuprofen since day 6. She removed my large uterus, monster fibroid, cervix, and tubes. I took 4 weeks off work but I could have gone back today. I'm using my last two weeks off to drop done weight. I'm walking 2.5 miles a day. I would recommend this surgery type but as everyone has mentioned...you should find a skilled surgeon.
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM

I am approximately a month away from surgery, will have the da Vinci done. I have the blessing of a good friend who just had the same procedure done, and her uterus was actually starting to calcify (!), and there have been zero issues with recovery, and her surgery was a week ago. Except for the usual post-surgical pain, all is well. I take great hope from this. I hope this helps calm the nerves a bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register