Job Interview 5 days post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Job Interview 5 days post-op? Job Interview 5 days post-op?

Unread 04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Job Interview 5 days post-op?

I have my surgery scheduled for tomorrow. It is a vaginal hysterctomy for a prolapsed uterus. It should not be so bad. I had applied for a job that I presumed would be interviewing sometime in May, but I just got called and they said I MUST interview next week... five days after surgery. It is a dream job and rare opportunity. I am dismayed and feel I won't be at my best. I don't even think I will have anything to wear. I told them I was having surgery tomorrow, but they cannot change the interview time.

Any thoughts on how up to this I will be? I don't even think I am supposed to be driving, but it is just a couple of miles away.... literally.

Thanks--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Well that's not very ideal is it??? Can you arrange to be driven? You may feel Ok but probably ought to get taken! At least after five days you should be feeling up to normal conversation!!!! You must wear your biggest things as you'll need to feel comfy.

Good luck- let us all know how you get on.
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:53 PM

I understand the idea of the dream opportunity, but I would hesitate in this situation where they have no flexibility even though you are having major surgery so close to the time of your interview...particularly since they'd originally discussed a May date. I have worked in similarly unflexible conditions, and it seems that this strictness about the interview date and time doesn't bode well for flexibility later on...just my ...

You might feel up to it...but you might not, at five days out. I was barely able to walk three houses up the street at that point, and certainly not at my best! And you may still be on stronger pain medications, again not really compatible with "wowing" them at this point. And driving is really out, even if you are not on pain medications. It puts too much of a strain on your newly repaired insides and could really put your healing at risk.

I'd really recommend that you have a plan...if you cannot make the interview due to complications or just due to feeling lousy, what happens then? And is there anyone higher-up in their human resources chain that you could discuss this with? I understand that it's an ideal opportunity at a lousy time. However, I just wouldn't count on your ability to get through a full interview so soon after such major surgery. Even if you don't have the outside incision, there's hundreds of interior stitches and a LOT of healing tissue inside that must be respected!

I hope you're able to get them to work with you on this! Best of luck on your trip to the Castle...

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 03:36 PM

I agree with the previous posters. I wouldn't have had the energy 5 days after surgery to do an interview.

I would definitely tell them you need to reschedule and if they can't do that for you I would feel they wouldn't help you if you needed something in a emergency.

Most companies are very understandable about surgery. I had a job interview scheduled and had a 7 hour hand surgery and had to call and explain and the company was willing to reschedule as soon as I was better.

Best of luck to you
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:33 PM

i had a tah/bso on march 28. i am still tired out after a shower and blow dry of hair. i can't imagine having to put on a professional image with suit and heels. i take pain meds 3 times a day and NEED them. also, i pass gass a lot.
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:39 PM

Thats too bad they couldnt change the time. I dont think you would be ready for an interview 5 days after,geesh, when do they expect you to start?
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:40 PM

If they won't reschedule and you really do want to try the interview, it might be fine. I had an abdominal hysterectomy 4 days ago, and I would be ok for an interview today--not great, but ok. But I would not have expected that. Definately don't drive--take a cab or get someone to drive you. If you are still needing narcotics, the interview won't be a good idea. But talk to your surgeon if he's willing to try toradal (a potent anti-inflammatory often used for the first 48 hours after a hysterectomy or C-section) with a narcotic at first, and then ibuprofin (with a narcotic as needed). That's what my surgeon does, to reduce inflammation and constipation associated with narcotics. By the 3rd day, I was off the narcotics except for 1 at night, so I'm feeling clear headed and not exhausted.

But it all depends on how your first few days go, so if they won't reschedule, be prepared to cancel if need be.

And make sure you have a professional-looking elastic waist skirt that's very comfy, and some professional looking jacket or tunic that will cover your swollen abdomen. Don't try to wear panty-hose; choose a longer skirt and knee highs, so it looks like you're wearing hose. Or wear pants with an elastic waist and super strechy material.

Good luck.
Unread 04-04-2006, 05:08 PM

I agree with everything AUDREY wrote and could not have said it better myself... You go, girl!
...Tamisinfl.
Unread 04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
job interview

Wow, an interview at 5 days! If they have to interview you early, is it because they have to fill the job early too? Or is it because of scheduling problems with the interview team? I've been interviewed on the phone in Texas by a supervisor in Canada and in Ontario with a new supervisor in Chicago. Both interviews were over 30 minutes long and were followed up by a confirmatory interview when we were in the same city. Is it possible to have a preliminary interview by phone? You wouldn't have to get dressed up and they could have you on speaker phone if there is more than one person. If it is a great job, it might be worth it. Both my long-distance interviews by phone clinched the job for me. Maybe a short-distance one could be enough to keep you in the running or give you some time for a second interview when you feel better.
Good luck!
Kendo
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:13 PM

I wish you the very best. I am just concerned that if they cannot re-schedule the interview how likely are they to want you to come to work right away? Either way I wish you the best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register