Why am I so scared? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why am I so scared? Why am I so scared?

Unread 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Why am I so scared?

You just explained, to a "T", how I feel about this surgery. I had to self talk several times a day. Then, about a week beforehand, I became strangely resigned and calmer than I had ever been before. Getting all of the preparations done and the house really clean was very therapeutic for me. So was exercixse. I'm sure I would have had my moments the day before and day of, but I was doing really well that last week. My surgery was then canceled as my surgeon hurt her back. I have since gone to another, more experienced doctor and will be having surgery once I lose some more weight.

So, color me puzzled, too. I don't know why I am reacting this way to this particular surgery. I think it also has to do with the general anesthesia -- fear of that unknown. It's new to me. But, I can't have a spinal because I'm having LSH and if you're breathing too deeply during that, you force the gas out of the abdomen that they inflate it with.

Boy, I've chewed your ear off, basically to tell you that I feel the same way. If you ever need a PM buddy, feel free to write to me about anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Why am I so scared?

Dear NitroxDiver, We share the same surgery date and I actually cancelled my trip this week because I was so worried and scared. I knew I wouldn't be any fun.

This website is so wonderful and supportive. I so appreciate all the other hyster sisters out there. They are so helpful and loving.

How do you handle the nerves....anyone?? The waiting seems so long.
Unread 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Why am I so scared?

I'm 44 and I am having a complete hysterectomy. Everything is coming out due to fibroids, severe bleeding and anemia and blood clots. My original surgery was scheduled for April 6th. But the dr. had a change in her schedule and now it's either going to be April 17th or the 19th. I still don't know what date yet, though I've already had my pre op.

Every time when I think I've come to peace with this, because I have no choice, I get terrified. I even have nightmares. I have never spent a night in the hospital and I don't know what to expect. I don't want a hysterectomy. I wanted to go through menopause naturally. Unfortunately I bleed too much for it to be that way. My dr. says that even though I am close to menopause, chances are I'll have a really bad period like before and won't stop bleeding.

The waiting is driving me up the wall. All I can think of is going through with the operation and how am I going to handle things, especially the HRT. I get so nervous my ulcer is acting up. I pull my hair constantly. I don't have much family support and a few relatives tell me it's a piece of cake, not to worry. And none of the few family that I have left want to talk to me about my fears. They just say it's nothing. Well, I don't consider it nothing. I have had panic attacks and depression for years and this isn't helping me at all.

Anybody know of a way to cope with nerves? How do you deal with something like this? When it's something you have to do but you feel like you can't go through with it, but you know you have to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Why am I so scared?

Hi Sissy 47!!! Same date as me! I will tell you how I am handling the nerves,..... going on vacation. I still talk about the surgery with my husband off and on throughout the day. I could not take another week of reading the internet. I get back Thursday night and plan on hydrating through the weekend and I will finish cleaning and organizing. I will read the HysterSisters forum and garner as much support as I can. Take care!
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Why am I so scared?

Oh my friend luvs2quilt.....I wish we lived closer and could talk and support each other. I have the same problem here.....routine surgery....no big deal is what my family believes!

I want them to do it. We have ovarian cancer that runs pretty wild in my family and am doing it for pre-cancer flare ups. Would rather have TAH than cancer.

Please take care and take care of yourself first.
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Why am I so scared?

Good plan nitroxdiver! Hydrating is super important....I will take your advice and plan and clean on the weekend. My husband wants to take me out on romantic date on Saturday....maybe that will help. Love and hugs to you as Tuesday approaches.
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Why am I so scared?

I can't say that I am scared, I am definitely nervous and anxious at the same time. LSH is scheduled for 4/2. Did pre op last friday, still have chest xray and ekg to do sometime this week. Did the grocery shopping for my clear liquid diet on Sunday last night. Don't sleep can't concentrate on much of anything. Hubby just doesnt want to discuss it, says I am worrying too much, or reading too much into what the dr says. Oldest sister had Ovarian Cancer and pre cancerous cells on the cervix 10 yrs ago at the same age as me, so very concerned what the pathology report is going to say. But from everything I have read all these feelings are normal, but by whose standard of normal I do not know. It is all a bit overwhelming, I guess lucky for me I've only been dealing with the problems for 2 months and had surgery scheduled after 5 weeks so only 3 weeks to accept all of this. They say it will all be over soon enough and I will be able to get back to some semblence of normallcy. My heart and prayers go out to all the sisters who are still waiting for their trip to the castle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register