hysterectomy: anesthesia question - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy: anesthesia question hysterectomy: anesthesia question

Unread 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Re: anesthesia question

I take a beta blocker too. I work at a hospital and that's one thing they make sure of is that beta blockers are continued. We don't want tachycardia! Mine is for HBP and fast heart rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Re: dvh in one month need anesthesia advice

Thanks for your reply. I had emergency surgery 28 years ago and didn't have choices. I hope your recovery is going smoothly.
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM
hysterectomy: anesthesia question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownlily View Post
Thanks for your reply. I had emergency surgery 28 years ago and didn't have choices. I hope your recovery is going smoothly.
You are welcome. My recovery is going really well. I am really happy with the results. It has improved the quality of my life a lot , no more heavy bleeding, anemia, cramps, bloating, enlarged abdomen, etc. I had my eight week appointment today & everything seems to be going well. Wishing you a very successful surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Hi chitownlily -

Yes, the anesthesiologist will probably call you a day or two before, or sometimes the first time they see you is the day of surgery. It depends on the doctor.

Many women report they do not remember going to sleep. I don't either. I was given verseds during the preliminary install of my epidural (I did an epidural and general anesthetic. I remember my head swimming, and then the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery and they were saying all was fine.

Here are some articles that will provide you some information:
What to Expect? Never Had Surgery! Part 1
What to Expect? Never Had Surgery! Part 2
What to Expect? Never Had Surgery! Part 3

Hope these help.

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:28 PM

Thanks Marestail. I had an emergency c-section 28 years ago and I wasn't given any choices. The first thing I did when I woke up in recovery was vomit - very painful and then they massaged my uterus, ouch! I just wasn't sure if there were specific medicines, or some to avoid. I'm sure I don't want to be awake, but I don't want to throw up either.
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:51 PM

Everything you've been told is pretty on point. Yes, years ago anesthesia did make people vomit, including me, but now they have a cocktail into meds that prevent that from happening and if you're worried about it, they can even make sure you get some anti-nausea meds in your IV, zofran, when you wake up. I definitely am a fan of Versed to help me relax before the surgery also. The other important thing the anesthesiologist will ask is your drug allergies. Otherwise, great advice! Good luck!! ((Hugs!))
Unread 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Mention your previous experience to your doctor. However, anesthetics have come a very long way over the last three decades, and even in the last decade.

My first experience with anesthetic about 35 years ago also made me vomit when I woke up. It was awful, and I was a younger teenager at the time.

Now, the medications are better and they also give you anti-nausea meds with it - especially if you tell them you have gotten nauseated in the past. With my hysterectomy, I did not get sick from the anesthetic. I also mentioned my long ago experience to my anesthesiologist.

Unread 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy in Texas View Post
One note. Do not stop taking high blood pressure without your doctors permission. I've taken it the morning of surgery with a sip of water.
ohhhh thank you i thought i wasnt able to take my high blood pressure pills; guess it depends on doc,i go to my pre-op next week i will surely ask that question for i take them everyday and they help with hypertension, eases me throughout the day.
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Re: hysterectomy: anesthesia question

I just had my tvh this morning. They did a spinal and at first I wasn't too sure I liked the idea, but it was great! I had versed before entering the OR, another shot of it when I got in there, then a quick shot in the spine. It was pretty painless. That's all I remember, and I was not under general anesthesia. Hope that helps!
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Re: hysterectomy: anesthesia question

Thank you for taking the time from your recovery to respond. I'm glad it went well for you. I can't even imagine having a needle stuck in my spine. I will be going with the general anesthesia, but will definitely be talking to the anesthesiologist about something for nausea. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Gentle hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register