Panic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Panic

Saturday my right shoulder was killing me.. felt really painful.. I put a heating pad on it. Sunday I woke up with blisters on my shoulder.. yesterday (Monday) I called Dr thinking that a spider had gotten in my bed and attacked me... he told me to take Benedryl. This morning woke up.. blisters have spread.. called Dr he told me to come in at 4 today.

So I started researching (don't we all) what this might be. The only thing that matches my symptoms is SHINGLES!!! If that is what it is.. will it keep me from having my surgery in 9 days??? I can't postpone this... the waiting has been bad enough (especially if the stress has caused shingles)

ANYONE with some insight.. PLEASE... if it is shingles.. is that bad enough of a problem to prevent my surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Panic

No insight here, Kiwi, but try to relax and not panic - go see the doc as you planned. I can tell you that I have looked things up on the net in terms of medical solutions and come to the wrong conclusion. May be some allergic reaction to something.

Hang in there, and let us know what the doc says, ok?

Cheers,
Unread 05-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Panic

OK, your shoulder was hurting, so you put the heating pad on it. Any chance at all that you got the blisters from the heating pad? I know, dumb, obvious question, but I'm always hoping the simplest answer is the one.

How about hives from stress and anxiety? I'm trying for something less serious than shingles. By all means - see your doctor - but try not to panic too much and jump to a conclusion before you see him. (I know, easy for me to say - I was the same way.)

I hope you feel better.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Thought about it

I thought it could be from the heating pad too.. but then why would I get more of them this morning...

My only other hope is that it is an allergic reaction. I just feel like there is always something happening to me. (WHY ME?)

I know.. enough whining... I am trying not to panic... I can deal with shingles IF I know that I can still have my surgery.
Unread 05-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Panic

I had shingles several years ago a couple of weeks before a D&C and they did the D&C anyway. I don't know if it would impact a hysterectomy or not. If it is shingles, you do need to start medication right away - mine was diagnosed on the 7th day which is borderline for the medication to work, but it did start to improve within a couple of days.

Let us know what you find out!
Unread 05-07-2002, 01:44 PM
Hives

I agree it may be hives. Isn't shingles contagious? Where might you have been where you might have been exposed? What about a fever? I hope you just have hives!
Unread 05-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Not Contagious

No.. it is a form of chicken pox but you can't catch it. It is from the dormant virus after you have had chicken pox and if you get really stressed or of you have an immune problem then it can pop out. I have had hives... and it doesn't look like that. I will let you all know when I get back from the drs. I don't know... maybe I am panicking for nothing.. but it sure looks like what they describe as shingles.
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Back

I went to Drs... bad news is... it is shingles.. like I need anything else to go wrong. The good news is my GP called my GYN while I was in there and told him an GYN said no prob... surgery will still take place. I have to take 5 pills a day for the next 7 days and deal with these sharp "hot poker" pains in my shoulder.. and of course the wonderful pain in my tummy. I know I am whining.. but dang it... what next... (I didn't mean that God) Pray that nothing else will happen please.
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Panic

Oh, Kiwi - you poor thing. You have every right to whine! I know from people who've had shingles that they're very painful. I'm sorry that's what it turned out to be, glad it won't interfere with your surgery, and hoping the pills will ease your pain soon!!!

HUGS to you!!! Hang in there!
Unread 05-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Thank you Alisa

Thanks.. I see that you have had your share of too much at once.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register